How Do You Rate the Chances of a Military Confrontation Between the US and Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Here are more pics from Iran's air show:

Flying Boat
    [​IMG]
    "Malek Ashtar University’s “Flying Boat” ground effect project. At least two prototypes have successfully been flown. It normally fles 0.5 to 4 metres above water, but a maximum 50m flight level is also possible. It enjoys a cruising speed of 140km/h"

Iran-140 Transport Plane
    [​IMG]

2. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Damn! I stay out of politics boards for a few days and it looks like I missed all the fun! I saw about 4 threads I would've loved to get my teeth into!

Anyway on answering the thread, theoretically speaking, America would not logically seek war with Iran. These are based on military limits due to ongoing wars, lack of political support from ANY significant country (nope the Brits were effectively fooled into the first war, massively unpopular by the public [as opposed to the US] and given the fact that it would be "shame on me" and less "reasons for attack Britain cannot intervene) however evidently Israel wouldn't mind but that is a whole different story, it's effect on world economy and obviously the war fatigued American public and their opinion polls showing a dramatically cooling attitude towards Bush and his "unreasonable" war.

BUT, unfortunately, the hawks in American administration (yep the necons are always in there somewhere when it comes to Iran) and the lobbying by AIPAC seems to suggest otherwise. I read a very interesting article about how it has now been proven that long after Bush was addressing the American public that no decisions on war have been taken and everything is being done to resolve things without resorting to war through UN inspections and so on, the cogs of war were already turning. It may appear that the same thing is happening yet again. Just as a magician shows one hand to conjure up his trick with the other, America may be diverting opinions to similar effects. It seems that America is aiming for a quick invasion and capturing Tehran through Azerbayejan and there have been certain steps taken indicating this. Also there have been rumours of possible recon missions or preparations for such by the Azeries in North Western province of Iran since they will be able to blend in well. I would personally find this unlikely given the relations between Iran and Azerbayejan, however given the influence of US pressure and incentives I will not rule it out by any means.

There may also be plans for using sepratists in Southern provinces of Iran to cause mayhem (the other hand). Unfortunately I cannot find the article now and it was a very long read, however it did present interesting arguments and reasonable evidence to back it up.

Finally I would add that the whole fiasco with the Iranian nuclear program may be involved in the same plan as perhaps the excuse. The whole world knew that from Moeen (the most reformist candidate) to Ahmadinejad (the most conservative candidate), all were saying the same thing. Iranian nuclear program will continue. However the message coming from a hardliner seems to so much more bitter for some reason than had it been said by Hashemi or Moeen. Also the allegations aimed at Ahmadinejad as to being one of the hostage takers would go towards the same conclusion. Would it have been that hard for the same people who dug up the photo and made the link to also check if the story is true? Evidently they had to eventually come out quietly saying it's not the same person but the damage has been done. The average Joe will think of Iran and its president as the American hating kidnappers who want to "destroy the American ideals and way of life" and other crap and will buy into the propaganda when it comes to convincing them that this war is necessary.

I am a pessimist and see things as far more bleak than they may be. I do hope it doesn't happen as the consequences will be tragic for everyone, (even those not taking part in the war) and more so than anyone else for the Iranians, but given the control of power by the "crazies" may lead to this bitter possibility.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Pardner, you're bragging about plastic airplanes. Get a **********ing grip on reality. You're not good war. You know what you're good at? Making movies. So be a good little Iranian and influence your government to stop censoring the movies of the brilliant Kiarostami. While you're at it, update your building codes so that 20,000 people don't die everytime there's an earthquake. Stop looking outside to Israel and the U.S. to justify your existence. You're just like Bush in that regard.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That is a model of the fighter version of the Shafagh that is being built.

When you become Iranian, you get a vote on what Iran should or should not do. For now, you worry about fixing your problems. Let Iranians worry about fixing their's.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I do plenty of worrying about the US's own problems. In fact, 99% of my posts are about our own problems. In the meantime, you live in America, make money, and express yourelf with complete freedom. If somebody gave you a free one-way ticket to Tehran tomorrow, you would refuse it. Let me repeat that - you would refuse it.

Nice, cultured liberals like myself are very aware that the Iranian public is enlightened, moral, and share many values with America. But when you come on here and try to claim that Iran's democracy is preferable to America's and start posting comic strips about the supremacy of your Soviet hand-me-down military hardware and start opining that it may be time for an Islamic hardliner to take back control from your liberal reformists, then I start wondering just how enlightened the Iranian public is.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly the best post I have ever read from you GringoTex. I like alot of your posts, and disagree with about half of them, but this is a great post. Rep forthcoming.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    BTW, here is an example of a model versus a prototype of trainer version of the Shafagh:

The Model Version of the Trainer
    [​IMG]

The Prototype
    [​IMG]

You can learn more about the Shafagh at globalsecurity.org:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/shafaq.htm

Besides the aircraft I have shown, there are numerous other projects Iran is working on. Iran's first fighter jet was produced in 1997, called the Azarakhsh. Those fighters are already in service. The next fighter jet produced by Iran was the Saeghe (also known as Azarakhsh II) which is pictures below in a test flight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Gringo, there are rare posts (when you're not defending Fyodor or promising top 5 Claudio Reyna finishes) that make me remember you're actually a pretty reasonable human being.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Stop being presumptuous. I am actually moving to Iran, not because of the nonsensical idea that if I lived here, my opinions about Iran would hold less water than folks who have no clue and no family in Iran. But because I had been flirting with the idea for a while, and made that decision a few months ago. Send me that ticket, I will take it.

Don't be presumptuous. You are not cultured nor liberal. Not by my definition. A true liberal is not going to want to dictate to others how they should live, be it in terms of some supposedly enlightened model in their mind or another one.

And don't mischaracterize my positions. If you have questions, ask. Because I don't recognize my positions in how you have described them.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The true liberal voice in Iran is not, for me, found either among the radical left, or certainly the radical right. The liberal voice of Iran was President Mohammad Khatami. Iran owes him a lot, even though he was attacked from his left and right, puncturing the once great coalition that had brought together divergent voices in Iran under an enligthened umbrella.

As he leaves office, giving his place to someone who was among those on the right frustrating his plans, I wish him the best. He is leaving his office with the same class and dignity he always carried himself. His successor has done things to allay some fears about what he has in mind for Iran, but while many of the fears appear now to have been overblown, the concerns are not. Concentration of power in any one faction is unhealthy, more so for a country whose power structure already needs reforms to bring greater balance to its system of checks and balances.

Here are two articles. One as Khatami prepares to leave office, and the other about his successor and the vision he has for Iran's future in foreign policy.

In the meantime, the president-elect of Iran:

11. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You seem unaware that iran's buddies in iraq are the shiites not the sunnis. And that the insurgency and the terrorists are sunnis.
    Sunnis are much probably funded by wealthy men in saudi arabia and elsewhere, it's their hobby.

12. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    oh well it's not only Saudis... Taliban's and Saddam's government are puppet governments created by [insert your wild guess] to fight their war... also groups like MEK are funded by [insert your wild guess] to continue their terrorist activities in Iran.... so as you see, such actions are among the basic rights when done by [insert your wild guess] and horrible crimes when done by other countries.... why am I not surprised with this double standard??! ;)

btw, good job wasting your time explaining Shiite and Sunni for that guy but unfortunately they are the same for this kind of ppl no matter how you put it!

13. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I would add for sardus that guy was obviously a sock and my guess...the ever present EastAsian! He is just bitter so goes around making random useless comments about Iran to start fights! Just a bad itch and if you ignore him, hopefully he'll go away!

14. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    That is completely insane. Why would they want to capture Tehran?

If something is going to happen it’s going to be air strikes.

And there is nothing Iran could do about them.

15. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Another person with little knowledge of military tactics or general common sense. Air strikes do not win wars! They merely act as a first stage to weaken the enemy's military infrastructure. You can bomb as much as you want but unless you intend to bomb indescriminately (as in WWII), there are only so many military targets you can hit. Then a ground invasion necessitates to win the war. What happened with Afghanistan (note that the air strikes were far less due to limited nature of military targets)? What happened in Iraq?

PS Tehran is the so called head of the snake. If it falls then the other pieces would fall easier too. The tactics do make sense as one plausible quick invasion. Note the fact that the last thing America is looking for is a long war, even lasting more than a couple of months from the start to finish of military combats IMO.

16. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    just to add a bit: success of American air strike is very dependant on the number of S-300, S-400 and S-200 (hey you have to count on the flukes as well :D) Iran has and can get from Ukraine and Russia (ignoring the fact that Iran is building their own version of S-400).... basically if they can shoot down enough planes US will have to change their tactic....

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There is plenty Iran can do. And the US knows it.

Indeed, at this moment, the US has one and only one chance left to be able to accomplish its plans. Today, the "weak link" in Iran is actually Khamenie who is ultmately as risk averse as any dicatorial leader. Khamenie has blinked before, and they believe he will blink again even with a good hand.

Since many Iranians have been blinking for a long time, with Khamenie blinking too, the US can get itself back into the game. The game is about puttting Iran on the defensive, work to destabilize it, and do the kind of things that would turn Iran into Iraq circa 1991-1992.

On the other hand, if Khamenie does not blink, it is over for the US. There is nothing the US can do that would make sense for the US.

Air strikes are not a solution to anything; they would merely hasten Iran becoming a nuclear power by removing the constraints tha now exist (namely the NPT). In the meantime, the world economy would pretty much sink given what will happen to oil prices, while the region would be in flames and American forces would be left vulnerable and in trouble. I don't see how the US would want to go down this road, unless it was sure Iran would not react. And it won't be sure unless Khamenie keeps blinking.

The US does not have any plans to actually invade Iran. Nor does it have the resources for such a move. Indeed, it won't even be able to muster the political will, leaving aside everything else.

The only thing the US can do to Iran is what it intends to do anyway, with or without Iran compromising. What the US intends to do is to make Iran isolated diplomatically, push to destabilize its regime, impose sanctions, and if Iran is playing the part, only then use air strikes to further contain and erode Iran's capabilities. In all this, the success of America's plan hinges on Iran blinking and cooperating while getting really nothing in return, except buying some time.

Iran, unlike N.Korea, is not a dictatorship. It is harder for Iran "not to blink" because naturally there are millions of Iranian apprehensive about all this, and there are business interests which prefer to believe there might be a 'solution' in negotiations. While I don't like much of anything else when it comes to the hardliners, the one potentially positive aspect of Ahamdinejad's presidency is that the advise Khamenie will get will not be adding to the pressures to blink more. Maybe, just maybe, that will get things to the point where the US will change its plans and at least adopt the true EU position? That position is aimed at making sure Iran does not get nukes, but otherwise taking care of all the other concerns from the regime including on regime change.

If not, the issue will be whether Iran continues to blink until it has nothing else to do but to blink? Or whether Khamenie (who talks as an anti-American, but who was totally scared in 2003 and showed it) can stand firm?

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Kami jan, It goes beyond that. Air strikes work when Iran is blinking enough to let everyone what it has, where it has them, and shows it won't be reacting even if attacked.

Otherwise, the basic components that would allow Iran to build nuclear weapons can be hidden and taken out of the equation. As long as they are hidden, the US might be able to take out the very things that pose no "proliferation threat" (such as the Bushehr reactor) but they can't take out the things that can be hidden and which can actually produce the components for a nuclear bomb.

Iran has retaliatory options that are significant. It also has the ability to make the critical parts in its in nuclear weapons program invulnerable to attack by hiding them. And not disclosing their location.

It is all up to Iran whether the US can do anything against Iran or not. It is a game of chicken, and if Iran blinks as it has been blinking, then the US indeed can hurt Iran.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Its amazing that people who lack basic reasoning skills are so willing to shout that fact to the outside world.

Wrong. You base your notions on the quaint idea that "winning a war" relies on capturing your enemy's territory. This has not been the case for some time. The US would have no interest in holding parts of Iran save for small beachheads in easily defensible places.

There was no indiscriminate bombing in WWII. You actually have to know what you're talking about.

What happened in Iraq? Iraq was a flawless victory from a US military perspective. The air strikes destroyed the Iraq military (which was already in shambles) allowing US troops to reach Baghdad in weeks. The war was won. The occupation is not the war.

You have no understanding of Iranian geography, topography or demographics. A quick strike into Teheran would produce far fewer results than an orchestrated bombing campaign. Apparently you never looked into Napoleon's decision to end a war quickly by taking Moscow.

As for the comments about Iran's air defenses - these would be vaporized by Tomahawks and other missiles fired from US carriers. And the Iranian air force stands no chance in a dogfight against US planes. There is nothing preventing an easy US bombing campaign from Iran saying "uncle".

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nicephoras can act as an "arm chair" general, but his views have absolutely no basis in any military analysis relevant to Iran.

The "optimistic" military analysis about air strikes against Iran is provided in globalsecurity.org. I call it the "optimistic" military analysis because it discusses two of the 4 most serious drawbacks to this "solution" -- and resolves those by making decisions for Iran that only Iran can make.

Namely, it considers the fact that Iran might have kept some of its facilities secret. After all, a uranium enrichment facility necesary to build a bomb can be hidden in practically any basement in downtown Terhan or anywhere else without anyone outside knowing about it. The globalsecurity analysis however concludes, albeit tentatively, that Iran probably does not have such hidden facilities. Even if they are accurate in that assumption, it does not follow that Iran could not quickly build one up in case hostilities look imminent.

A secret facility cannot be taken out by air strikes, simply because it won't even be part of any "target list". On the other hand, bombing Iran would remove any constraints that exist for Iran not to develop nuclear weapons, allowing Iran to withdraw from the NPT and build such weapons in quick order.

On this very simple part ofthe equation, the only ones who can stop Iran making a nuclear bomb are Iran's own leaders. If they fall for the idea of letting the EU/IAEA and indirectly the US know everything about Iran's program, that will just make it that much easier for the US to bomb the program out of existence!

The other constraints on air strikes are how Iran reacts or retaliates? Since Iran will surely lose at the end of any major war with the US, the assumption is that Iran's "retaliation" will be limited. More in the form of causing problems for the US in Iraq. That assumption, however, is merely a wish. Iran's military doctrine specifically has taken into account the pressures that would arise to limit Iran's retaliatory moves, and has responded by contingency plans that provide for massive retaliation within minutes of an attack. That is public knowledge based on explicit comments by Iran's miltiary commanders and Defense Minister. And no person who knows a thing about military issues doubts that in case Iran retaliates, US bases and forces in the region, as well world energy supplies, are jeopardized due to their vulnerability to Iranian atacks.

Let me give this example. Iraq's nucelar program, after Israeli's strike on the Oserick reactor, went underground and was secret. Even after the massive US bombing campaign in Desert Storm, the world found out about that program only once Saddam agreed to the UN ceasfire resolutions and let inspectors into the country. What they discovered was a program unaffected by all the bombing, and perhaps only one year away from being able to build a bomb.

Ultimately, whether Iran gets to have a nuclear bomb or not is entirely up to Iran. That is the consensus of all expert opinion on the subject. The only thing the US can hope for is that Iran's leaders, trying to appease the EU/US do the very things that ironically would make an attack on Iran more likely and fruitful.

Iran shows the EU the finger, and ther eis nothing short of a nuclear war against Iran that anyone can do to stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons. And then, hopefully, for the parties to return to the neogtiating table to hammer a genuine peace deal between Iran and the US.

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, we are talking about outdated and untested equipment from Iran v proven equipment and modern up to date state of the art equipment from the US. Hmmmm.....lets think about that for a moment.

As for secret facilities, they may very well have them, the US you know has never had to use things like satelites or anything high tech like SR-71 spy planes or other such equipment to try and find such places before. The Soviets never tried to hide anything from us, or us from them. So I think that we may have a chance of finding such places.

As for a war and what would happen, well noone really knows exactly what would occur. I am sure that in any war Iran would mobilize their terror groups in the mideast to try and start a wider war, the US without having any such groups at their disposal would have to start now in getting freedom fighters organized in Iran. Israel would have to prepare for war with the Iranian terrorists in Lebanon, you know who they are Hezbollah.

As for the US, well we have sufficent missiles to take care of any air defenses that Iran has, not mention that we will use B-52's which fly well out of range of the AA that Iran has and B-2 stealth bombers which wouldn't even be seen by Iranian air defenses. Plus with F-117's flying precsion bombing routes, Iran's defenses would be pummelled before they could even get a shot off at any American forces. Plus we haven't even brought in SF forces or UCAV's into the equation.

Besides, what would the goals of the war be? The US does not need to invade, strong persistent bombings against the Iranian Miltary then taking out the terrorists in charge, excuse me, the hostage takers in charge and the guardian council would leave a vacum in power in Iran. Instead of the US leading an invasion, perhaps a deal made prior to any fighting could be struck so that some of those 1000 people who tried to get elected but where denied their right to run for office would be willing to lead the Govt. The reformers in Iran could have the country. Then real elections could be held.

I would say that the US if they sent troops in at all would secure the gulf ports first, then the straits, then create a buffer zone to repel any Human Wave attacks.

But again like has already been said, this is all just arm chair QB'ing with some people having no idea what the military is actually like cause they have never been in the military to know anything about it.

Winning a war does not always require occupation. A war in Iran would be a case where removing the capability to produce nukes, and removing the criminals in the guardian council would be sufficent.

22. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No. We are talking apples and oranges. The US could not even take out Saddam puny Scud missile force despite massive bombings during Desert Storm. Iran can easily do extensive damage in retaliation to any US attack. It will lose at the end, but not before giving the US a huge bloody nose.

The only way you will know about them is if Iran lets you know about them. Unlike Bushehr and other reactors that aren't directly relevant to making a nucelar bomb, a centrifuge facility for making enough material for a few nukes can even be built in a basement of any large building.

Over time, yes. But it would take weeks, if not months. In the meantime, Iran will have done the damage it needs to do to make the cost of all this unreasonable for anyone to want to bear.

The reformers are not traitors. They are as committed to Iran's security and nuclear program as anyone else. Some of them differ on tactical issues with the hardliners, but frankly not by much.

The "1,000 people" who wanted to run! Yeah I am sure the aspring comics, the teenage girls, and the like, are going to be heading a major opposition force!

This part of your comments can be put in the category of nonsense.

The US does not have the forces to do what you suggest. Besides, if the US wanted any troops on the ground, it would go all the way to Tehran to force regime change. It won't have its forces sit there for Iran to attack.

I think the quarterbacking on these issues should be done by those a few ranks higher than a NCO. The analysis by US military commanders is what I rely upon in terms of discussing what the US would do, while I rely on Iran's military commanders to discuss what Iran would do.

Without occupying Iran, the US does not have the means to do any of what you suggest. Not unless Iran gives the US those things voluntarily, in a desperate hope of avoiding conflict. Ironically, the more it does that, the more likely it is that it will open up the country to US plans and designs.

Iran holds all the cards, but it has a major weak link. Khamenie, despite engaging in rhetorical anti-American propaganda, is ultimately very risk averse and has so far been blinking all the time. If he stops blinking, there is nothing that the US can do. Except change policies, and come to table looking for a fair deal to end the 26 years of hostilities between the two sides.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If diplomacy fails (i.e. there is no USA/EU-Iran agreement), the US will likely (70-80%) attack Iran. Given that some nuclear facilities are "hidden" in populated areas, Iranian expats would be advised to stay put.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    A "secret" facility that you know about is neither "secret" nor "hidden".

Iran knows what the US and Israel know, because the latter feed their information to the IAEA to have them inspect different places they want inspected.

On the other hand, the US and Israel do not know what Iran might have hidden. If Khamanie is half as "cagey" as he is reputed to be, the Israeli analysis that Iran has 3 programs is not off. The Israelis claim Iran has a civilian program, a military program that feeds from the civilian program, and another secret weapons program that is kept insulated from both those two programs.