How Do You Rate the Chances of a Military Confrontation Between the US and Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Jul 1, 2005.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    We kicked Iraq's butt in days. The problem is playing policeman, which has never made any sense to me. Don't be like Iranian Monitor making ridiculous boasts about Iran's capabilities. It's not only counterproductive (which should be obvious to anyone who understands the American psyche, which isn't well represented on Bigsoccer), but it's really, really stupid. The only countries that could militarily thwart America (i.e. hold off the inevitable for a decent amount of time) are Britian, China, Russia and Israel. Iran would be toast in weeks, at most.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the Brits and Israel are great fighters, it would come down to the weapons used against them to determine the outcome. Largely in part due to their size, the use of Nukes would have a more profound effect on Israel and Britian then they would on China or Russia. Also China and Russia due to the sheer size and volume of population would present an extremly formidiable opponent for the US even with Nukes employed in the battle.

Now in a non-nuclear fight, Israel would give a tough fight, but again their size and the lack of allies around them would hurt them badly. The US would be able to siege Israel with more ease then they would any of the other Nations you listed, in part due to the acrimony of the surronding nations on Israels borders.

Britian would be hell to try and invade. Naval engagements would be very interesting as Britian really has the only surface Navy that could match the US Navy.

Russia and China would be nearly impossible to successfully invade. To get to the heart of Russia, the US would either have to go through Asia in a very long campaign, or go through quite a few other nations to attack from Europe.

Now Iran, from a Military standpoint, to invade does not provide as much of a problem. Consider the postions that we hold in Iraq on the Western Front, Afghanistan from the East and the ability to invade from the sea as well, hell a 3 pronged attack would be the most likely case, with heavy, and I emphasize heavy air attacks and cruise missile attacks to lead the way. Militarily, the US is in good postion to hit Iran.

If you look at North Korea, we really have only 1 land option to use to invade, so consider the DMZ and it would be a bloody mess, but the combined US, ROK forces could force a breakthrough.

3. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    maybe you guy fight wars on paper... but fortunately great wars weren't fought on paper.... but I loved it how you threw Israel there... I mean if it takes 3 days to level Iran with a full air strike considering its size... Israel shouldn't take a day!... or being optimistic is a luxury that only Jews can afford? :rolleyes:

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran's society, in political terms, is divided as follows. These divisions are clear based on election results and voting patterns in all elections since 1997, including when reformists were winning big majorities.

1) Ideological Conservatives (army of 10 million)

The total number of supporters this group can muster is around 10 million. They are the die-hard supporters of the revolution, they are most poor even if the foundations and figures that support them are among the most influential in Iran.

This group voted for Nategh Nouri instead of Khatami in 1997; voted for conservatives instead of reformers in 2000 Majlis electoins; voted against Khatami in 2001; constituted the core voting block that saw conservatives win muncipal elections in 2003 and parliamentary elections in 2004. In the recent election, this group voted in the first round for Ahmadinejad, Qalibaf and Larijani, and in the 2nd round for Ahamdinejad.

2) Traditional Conservatives (3-4 million)

The traditional conservatives can count on the support of around 3-4 million voters. Their power comes from the traditional clerics in Iran, along with its close associations with the bazaar and important elements in the regime.

This group actually voted for Khatami in 1997 and 2001, and for independent candidates in 2000. They have been loyal to the regime, under Rafsanjani's guidance, and participated in elections such as 2003 and 2004 even if a group with a somewhat different ideology took the spoils. In 2005, they voted for Rafsanjani in both the first round and the runoff.

3) Moderate Reformers (5-6 million)

There are roughly 5-6 million Iranians, mostly spread across provincial areas, that are conservative but neither are very politicized or ideological (unlike #1 category) nor, unlike the traditional conservative supporters, are they financially well off. This group, by and large, is too unsophisticated to follow the lead of any outside secular groups, although they aren't happy with the way things are. They generally vote for the "least corrupt mullah" or, alternatively, the "most pious, least corrupt" mullah supported candidate. They did vote for Khatami in 1997 and 2001, and for moderate reformers from Khatami's clerical faction in 2000. They did vote in the 2003 and 2004 elections as they were led by regime loyalists, moderate reformers, such as Karrubi. That is who they voted for in the 2005 elections, but chose Ahmadinejad over the "corrupt" Rafsanjani in the runoff.

4) Radical Reformists (6 million)

This group is secularists in orientation, their hero is generally Dr. Mossadegh, and while they were Khatami's most vocal supporters in 1997, they were also the first to be disappointed by the pace of reforms under Khatami. They voted en masse and without real exception for Khatami in 1997 and reformists in 2000 and most voted again for Khatami in 2001. They stopped voting in 2003 and 2004, and were split in this election. Some did not vote, those who did voted mostly for Moin although a few chose to vote for Rafsanjani for pragmatic reasons. In the runoff, this group was split; most voted for Rafsanjani, but some thought that the Ahmadinejad was the bigger "regime outsider" than "Mr. Insider Rafsanjani" and either did not vote or voted for Ahamdinejad.

Unless revitalized, many in this group are totally disillusioned. In a way, Moin was the least they expected and many among them voted only because of the looming foreign threats. Otherwise, most have become too disillusioned to be called reformists anymore. They have either become apathetic or revolutionary.

5) Monarchists (2 million)

The number of regime opponents is speculative, although there are some indications that can be gleaned from several sociological surveys. It would appear that supporters of Reza Pahlavi can still count on something like 2 million supporters inside Iran if there were elections that allowed them to vote for him. However, they are not well organized at all, and their supporters that remain in the country are too apolitical (mostly older middle class, upper middle class) to get down and dirty. Essentially, outside perhaps a few hundred activist (many with connection to foreign agents) the rest are irrelevant politically. They do watch exiled TV stations religiously though. By and large, this group never votes in Iran; a few voted for Khatami in 1997; a trickle (worried they will lose their satellite tvs) voted for Rafsanjani in the runoff.

6) Exiled Secular republicans (no organization in Iran, but radical reformists could be swayed in their direction)

This group is not organized within Iran, but basically can count the radical reformists as their ideological brethren. The only different between them is that the radical reformists are in Iran and have more to lose by non-participation. The ones outside are more prone to "giving up" on the idea of reform and call for a secular democratic republic. Although some in this group were formerly Marxists, most are not, instead being ympathetic to the old National Front and seeing the late Dr. Mossedegh as best representing their aspirations.

7) MEK (less than 1 million, but with some organization routes)

The MEK is literally hated by almost everyone in Iran, but they have had a long history, a well financed organization, once upon a time genuine support among many leftists in Iran. Today, they are a cult; since 1982 have received backing of first Saddam and now Israelis and some of their sympathisers in the US. They are a terrorist group but they the "opposition group for hire" in Iran.

The rest of Iran basically either are not into politics or go with the wind. A few who are not into the groups mentioned above belong to separatist groups.

5. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that Israel has a real air force, not just a junkyard of abandoned, poorly maintained 30 year old airframes with inadequate avionics.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
  7. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    keep telling that to yourself.... meanwhile Iran tests new solid fuel systems on its already successful middle range missiles.... like every other great war it starts with one side underestimating the other side.... British underestimating Americans... Americans underestimating Vietnamese.... Iraqis underestimating Iranians... Persians underestimating Greeks.... the trend will continue.... as Iran maintains those American planes (shocking wasn't it?.... even the Israel you boast about can't do this) we are building our own too.... but yeah the ultimate result is a loss as well all know and history has proven America has no tolerance for a loss and will win wars by any means (even if it means using WMDs)....

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I nukes are taken out of the equation, Iran would be able to bring Israel to its knees in less than 3 days.

Israel's "real airforce" has no reach to do much against Iran. A few dozen of its aircraft have the range to fly to and back from Iran, but they won't make it back as Iran has very sophisticated air defenses (including S-300 ground to air missiles) and its air force is more capable than what you imagine.

All of Iran's "old airframes" have been renovated, updated, and other than the frames, everything else in them is new. Of course Iran also has the Mig29, which it has improved from the export version offered by the Russians. We also have some decent Chinese fighters.

The latter, indeed, offer a good clue as to the effectiveness of Iran's "old airframes". From antedotal evidence, it appears to me that even today Iranian pilots prefer to be assigned to F-14 squadrons than those with newer aircraft.

9. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mother of All Wars, eh?

Rest assured, if it came to it, we would not underestimate Iranian capabilities. You should look at a little history to understand this (don't worry, I know you'll not look). All of this is moot, however, because I don't think it will come to that. It would be interesting to see if a war could now be won by massive airpower alone though.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Can you get any more delusional? Israel is 100 times more powerful than Iran. The only thing you've got going for you is (potentially) nukes and tens of thousands of loyal Islamic terrorists. Otherwise, nobody would even think about Iran.

11. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be amusing to see you try it. BTW, noone was talking about an Iran vs Israel engagement, only the comparative military worth of Israel and Iran.

How many hours do you think are on those airframes? Have you ever heard of metal fatigue? I'll clue you in, it's not solved by "renovation". Also, you may want to look at Jane's All the World's Aircraft in your copious spare time. They take a considerably less rosy view of the Iranian Air Force than you do.

Gee, what a shock!! You do realize you just refuted your own argument, right?

12. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    hehe, the old "I know you better than yourself" comeback!.... but nice to see that you are actually trying to deal with your inferiority complex... try different ways though! like a shrink or bullet in the head (your head not your classmates ;) )...

13. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right. The world's only superpower has lots to feel inferior about. You are so perceptive. How can we ever repay you? :rolleyes:

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ben,

I am not here to engage in "propaganda games", as I don't think the fate of anything is decided on "bigsoccer". Unlike some people, I care about being accurate, exchanging information based on the best available evidence.

The same way I knew that the "political projections" of the crowd you trust is entirely ridiculous and off, I know that their "military projections" are off. I have read for many years what they have said, compared it to what Iranian military analysts and planners were saying, and between the two, the latter was usually proven right.

Of course, we have not had combat to test the proposition at issue here, but given the "credibility" gap on all their other pronouncements, and the rather credible (and realistic) projections from Iran, and just putting 2 plus 2 together, I can come up with my own conclusions.

In the meantime, guarantee that there will be no "nukes" used; guarantee to leave the US out of it; and I am sure Iran would take you up on your offer and would relish the idea of testing your theories. According to the analysis by Iran's military command, Israel would be defeated in 3 days. Since they can kind of explain what they have in mind, as opposed to making incoherent noises, I kind trust their assessment.

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What great wars has Iran fought in the past 100 years? The US fought 2 wars at the same time in WWII and won both.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I just cracked a rib.

I'm sure you do :D

Israel makes every top ten military ranking (usually top five). Every one (outside of the insane Islamic Republic). Iran isn't even a blip.

17. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Damn!!! what was I thinking using “inferiority complex” like you would have a clue about it.... our great history recorder actually thinks that inferiority complex is necessarily felt from a lower class/society towards the higher ones :D .... a true American indeed!

18. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    thanks for proving my point (doubt you got the point in the first place though!!)

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why you surprised me!! I didn't think you could get any more incoherent, but you did it! Congratulations.

In all seriousness. If it came to armed conflict the Iranian armed forces just are no match for the US. There would be losses on both sides but the final outcome would not be altered. Within a few days or weeks the ability of the Iranian forces to operate in units of any size at all would be gone. There would be no support. There would be no air force or navy. The US would rule the land, sea and air militarily. The US military is still the most powerful in the world.

But, as I said before, it's a moot point as we are unlikely to see that happen.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    My understanding of the issue is that Iran does have issues as far as how many sorties some of these planes might be able to fly in combat situations. Yet, since the "heightened tensions", Iran has been flying a rather good number of sorties using these planes, which itself was contrary to what "experts" from outside were saying Iran was capable of.

That said, Iran is undergoing major renovation of its air force. The experience of taking those old frames, and making them operational, has taught Iran a lot. The Shafagh project indeed is near completion already wtih a report that the porotype will be flying this year.
    I read everything about Iran that I can find, including from Jane's.

It proves that those "old airframes" are still pretty good planes, because we all know the capabilities of the Mig29. Rather good planes too. Iran has extended the range of the Mig29, but while I don't know much about the issue, apparently the "cockpit" is not designed all that well. I read Iran is working on fixing the "cockpit" and vision issues with that plane too.

I am going to post some recent pictures of Iran's "old airframes". Since you seen to have some knowledge in this area, you tell if they seem rusted and not air worthy. I am a novice on military issues, just going based on the sources that have proven more credible overtime.

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The very fact that you say this makes it almost impossible that you actually know anything about it. The Iranians are not that sloppy with their security as to give you their plans and analyses, or, are you really a spy?

Haha!! Sometimes I crack myself up.

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I had to choose to view IM's post to see what Ben had quoted. The above is simply stunning. Since Iran couldn't have soldiers in Israel in 3 days, this assumes that Iran can win the war entirely in the air. Against, arguably, the best trained airforce in the world outfitted with the best planes in the world.
    If this is what the Iranian "military analysts" are saying, Iran truly has the biggest inferiority complex known to man.

24. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it proves nothing of the sort. It only proves that the pilots would rather fly the other. Since none of them have been flown in combat by any current aircrew, they are not basing it on combat experience either.

The type of pictures you would be able to get access to would show nothing. Airframes are X-rayed to see the stress cracks that form from metal fatigue. Aluminum airframes would not rust.

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    As for this thread, people seem to make the odd assumption that we would seek to occupy Iran the same way we did Iraq. Which is false - we wouldn't. We'd flatten the place if we had to, and let them rebuild from the craters after dismantling anything resembling an aluminum tube and then blowing it up again. And the sad thing is that there's nothing Iran could do about that.