How do you feel about Naohiro Takahara as DP?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by jade1mls, Jan 19, 2008.

1. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Seattle MLS may have scouted him
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naohiro_Takahara

Played for: Boca Juniors, Hamburg SV, Eintracht Frankfurt and currently with Urawa Reds.

Rumor has it he may be looking for a new challenge abroad in 2009.

"His goals and performances are celebrated by Eintracht supporters by singing to the melody of Gala's Freed from desire. After successful matches Takahara often joins the faithful to jump up and down the same way."

Could he be Seattle MLS's Ichiro?

2. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    He'd be 30 by the middle of our first MLS season, and I wonder if Seattle MLS would want someone younger.

Still his resume looks impressive, any player that can score a hat-trick in the Bundesliga has to be fairly impressive, and four goals in the Asian Cup is nifty too.

He fits the bill in other ways as well. His career in Europe is probably over, but he can still dominate the Japanese league, and probably do well in MLS.

It's fun to speculate, that's for sure.

3. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Is he gonna avoid the -American- press like Ichiro?

If the guy can play I'm all for it, but if this is another Seattle "feel good" story soon to be narrated by Brent Musburger...

forget it.

4. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I am not sure how many baseball fans care about how Ichiro interacts with the press. Besides, the local sports press corps leaves much to be desired anyway.

Have you ever met Art Thiel? The guy is a bigger jerk than Jerramy Stevens, and that's really saying something.

Ichiro not only broke some of baseball's treasured records, he provided a style, work ethic and dedication to his play that has made him one of the finest athletes this city has ever cheered for.

If Takahara can fulfill a similar role in Seattle MLS, this city will gladly welcome him with open arms, even if he chooses to give garbage like KJR the cold shoulder. :)

The positive side here is, this kind of acquisition is a possibilty. That's an exciting thought, and it is this kind of speculation that will make 2008 a great deal of fun to watch unfold for this franchise.

5. AduHowDoYouDo

AduHowDoYouDo Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Seattle
    People love Ichiro...

6. AduHowDoYouDo

AduHowDoYouDo Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Seattle
  7. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    I think that IF they choose to sign a DP for '09 (remember, neither of the MLS Cup finalists had a DP), they're go with someone who has name recognition with the "casual" fans, who, unfortunely, will make up the majority of ticket buyers. Most casual fans haven't a clue who 99.9% of the top asian players are, but do know most of the above average, and better, euro & american players are.
    Any DP choice will be as much about making a media splash, as it will be how good they'll be on the pitch.

8. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    How many "casual" fans knew who Marco Etcheverry, Juan Pablo Angel, or Cau Blanco or Danny Dichio was?
    The best thing for Seattle MLS is to follow those four good examples. Guys who are stars in a certain niche of fans but who also very good at scoring goals or leading assists on the pitch.

If Seattle wins games with a charismatic cult hero then the casual fan WILL latch on like in DC, and NY and Chicago and Toronto.

To be honest anyone who a "casual" fan knows is going to be well out of the price range of MLS for the time being or old and crap by the time they are affordable. Beckham was an anomaly. Imagine all the J-league fans coming out of the woodwork to see Takahara and become fans of the team. That has value for a startup (which Seattle MLS is). Then imagine the Asian tours in the off season which will bring $$ into the club.....

win-win

9. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wow, terrific video, thanks for posting it.

I think an acquisition like this could do wonders. Whether it is Takahara or not, the anticipation of what lies ahead is truly a great feeling.

10. el cucharon

el cucharon Member

Mar 17, 2003
    friendship village
    If don't care who Seattle gets as long as they can score goals
    Playing for Boca helps.

11. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These forums allow embedded videos from YouTube. :)

[youtube]0E8aI63Myag[/youtube]

12. ness77

ness77 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    The 2-0-6
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. It'd be even better if we could get him NOT as a DP, just on a 300k per year contract or something... but that probably isn't happening. Although personally for a DP type signing I think I'd prefer an attacking midfield type.... but I sure ain't gonna be picky! :)

Not related - Ichiro is excellent with the press. He gives awesome quotes...
    "To tell the truth, I'm not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to," Ichiro said through an interpreter. "If I ever saw myself saying I'm excited going to Cleveland, I'd punch myself in the face, because I'm lying."

13. AduHowDoYouDo

AduHowDoYouDo Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Seattle
    My bad, Ill do that next time. Im pretty new round these parts. However, I dont thin he's coming here, didnt he just sign with Uwara Reds? Uwara is a solid squad, I cant see him going to the MLS to finish out his career when he could do it in a comperable league in his own country. Unless the money was significant.

14. AduHowDoYouDo

AduHowDoYouDo Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Seattle
    Links are cooler, I like waiting.

15. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For what it is worth, I prefer redirect links to embedded, but that's because I'm an old grump, who prefers the increased control of a redirect link.

Back to point, it does appear that Takahara's deal with the Reds takes him beyond 2009. He's signed up for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 season for the Reds. This information was culled from ESPN, so please someone correct me, if they have more reliable information.

Anyway, that appears to leave him unavailable until 2011, and before that would require a transfer fee of some kind.

16. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Embedded says it all..

[youtube]rS-WxzjCdo0[/youtube]

17. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
  19. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cannot believe a japanese player would be worth a DP. I really just cannot get myself to believe that.

Unless its one of the 4-5 that have had success outside of J league.

20. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think your right, but I think the point is that the 4-5 guys who have had success out side the J league are going to be 30-32 in 2009 pretty much the target age for signing a DP. You go get a marketable guy with a couple years of quality football left who won't cost you a transfer fee and can't get a long term deal in Europe.