How do we rate heading into 2021 MLS

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by mschofield, Feb 14, 2021.

?

Where do we rank in MLS by defensive position? Elite is 1-7, Average 8-20, Poor 21 and down

1. Keeper elite

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Keeper average

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Keeper poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBs elite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. CBs average

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  6. CBs poor

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  7. LB elite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. LB average

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  9. LB poor

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  10. RB elite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. RB average

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  12. RB poor

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was thinking about the discussion on whether or not our roster is set, and what that means for the coming season. I think there's a lot to be concerned about, and a lot to be excited about. But breaking it down, position by position, what are we thinking as the season, now, looms? Also, is this poll a mess?

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My answers refelct the way i see the roster. I think Melia is past the point where he can be expected to win points we have no business winning, but he's near the top of the middle category, probably still top 10. However, our keeper depth?
    I have really high hopes for the Beast, but he hasn't played at all in MLS, so we don't know. Puncec is, IMO, firmling into the average range. But our depth is really troublesome. We have to count on Fontas (who has performed well for us when healthy) but his injury history suggests we really should not count on him.
    RB I'm fine with. Zusi as depth is solid MLS depth. I like Lindsey and think he will have taken a step forward. They're higher in the average pile than LB, where Dia and Martins, on their day, are middle of the pack, and one their off days, are firmly in the poor category.

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I mostly agree.

Tim is a legend but he's definitely a mostly average keeper at this point (PK magic aside). That said, a club legend who is performing okay? Keep em until their legs fall off. No complaints there, though I have no idea about depth.

CB corps is hopefully improved but thinner than Vermes tends to go for. I am pretty confident Isimat Mirin will cover a number of deficiencies currently present, but who he pairs with and how he stacks up in MLS is gonna be a pretty defining question this year.

Fullbacks, same as last year. Lindsey has made some strides, and he's starting to shape up to decent. Still gotta work on awareness and positioning though.

Midfield is interesting. Kinda is a lock, but the rest we're not sure of. The less the team needs to rely on Ilie and Espinoza, the better the season will go, if I had to guess. I'm pretty confident Walter will slot in well, and I'm finally starting to feel like Busio deserves the minutes he's getting.

Forward is the stickiest question. Pulido and Russell are locks. Shelton I guess is? I think there's a pretty big drop off beyond Pulido/Russell, which is not that surprising. But it's more intense than last year. I think Shelton will look good for long enough this season, but the dearth of a fourth forward and experienced depth is gonna be pretty important to watch.

I think we'll see a decent squad. Make the playoffs.