How Do The Most Popular Liga MX Clubs In The USA Compare To The Most Popular Clubs In Mexico?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by EvanJ, Jun 18, 2017.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I considered asking this in a Mexico forum, but the general Liga MX forum hasn't had a post since April 6, so I'll ask here. Are the most popular Liga MX clubs in the USA and the most popular Liga MX clubs in Mexico the same clubs? What would make a Liga MX club be more popular in one country than in the other?

2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shouldn't ask anything on the Mexican forums. They love to spend 99% of their time trolling our league and the MNT anyway.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2015, traditional sending states such as Guanajuato, Chiapas, and Michoacán accounted for the largest shares of the 96,000 migrants who headed toward the United States, collectively representing 27 percent of northward flows.

I'd imagine teams supported in those states would be overrepresented along with the Xolos.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would think, but I don't see León or Jaguares Chiapas or Morelia shirts being especially common here. Club Tijuana, I do see more of, but that's perhaps to be expected in California. Especially when the club has a fair number of fans with no Mexican ancestry in San Diego.

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would assume it follows the same trend as leagues the biggest most popular clubs in the home country are the biggest most popular clubs outside of the country as well. In Britain Man U. are the most popular club, and they are in the US as well. Same with the German, Spanish, and Italian leagues. I've seen this with American sports overseas, the biggest NFL teams outside of the US are the Cowboys, Patriots, and Steelers. So would bet large quantaties of money that America and Chivas are the most supported Mexican Clubs in the US. (which is what I see in terms of Jersey's and discussions, not very scientific though).
    One thing i've noticed here in San Diego is Xolos are popular but they tend to be popular with people who have a direct connection to TJ. Plus they are a relatively new club so for a lot of people, even people who have lived in the SD-TJ region for a while, they are their second team. The one they support because they can see them live rather than the one they've supported forever.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/04/21/club-america-rank-popular-club-soccer-team-us-television/

Monterrey is also very popular here in Houston. Monterrey is just across the border from Texas and there is a lot of movement between the cities.

LouisianaViking07/09 and EvanJ repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that European leagues have a few dominant clubs. In the last 11 UEFA Champions League Finals, no country has had more than three clubs. In the last 11 CONCACAF Champions League Finals (including the last two CONCACAF Champions Cup Finals before the Champions League was made), Liga MX has had nine clubs. They are Pachuca, Chivas, Atlante, Cruz Azul, Monterrey, Santos Laguna, Toluca, America, and Tigres. Being the best league in CONCACAF helps, but it also means that the same four Liga MX clubs don't qualify for every CONCACAF Champions League.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga MX is somewhat of a parity league. The parity measures aren't quite as restrictive as MLS or necessarily even part of the rules of the league, but there are a lot of agreements between the clubs that keep the league extremely competitive -- for example, an unofficial "draft" that mostly keeps Liga MX clubs from bidding against each other for free agents.

9. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You're completely wrong.

OP can ask this in the Football Thoughts thread. The answer is that it's the same. No difference. America and the current league champs are tops.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. R. Carrillo

R. Carrillo Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    America and Chivas, the largest and most popular in Mex are the most popular abroad too. Also, these clubs are more popular in Mexico than foreign clubs like say Barca, RM, Man U.

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In my area, most Mexican immigrants are from Guanajuato. I'm presuming the guy I met was a Club Leon fan. He hated Marquez too, which is a plus.