How do I join?

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by Section106, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Mike you very well may liek this album.
    It's available on Trance Syndicate out of TX. These guys have since split but I personally think this is an incredible album.
    [​IMG]

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Minor Threat + Rites of Spring = Fugazi (in a round about way)

I have some friends in Philly that are in a 3 piece called Stinking Lizaveta, they spioke highly of 9353. I haven't listened to any so I am not sure if they have a very simliar sound, but I am pretty sure they opened for them on the tour you speak of, perhaps a date in Philly? Can't remember. 91,92 was a very long time ago. :D

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Actually, I guess the show we saw them at in '92 was three out of four of them:

[​IMG]

Bruce, Vance and Jason. Dan was MIA on that tour.

It really is too bad that way too much heroin destoyed what could've become one of the most influential post-punk bands of all time.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'll have to check it out.

My favorite Texas band is probably The Butthole Surfers. :)

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Heroin has pretty much ruined the musical landscape. Or did Pepsi do that?

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Probably a little of both.

BTW, I got the pix from this site.

I'm about to rip Overdoses at Your Mother's House and Make Your Last Days Loud Days.

Don't worry baby,
    I'm a good driver.

According to that site, Jason is clean and is working as a studio engineer in San Francisco.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were from San Francisco, on the Subterranean label.

I saw Black Flag in '86, just before they broke up (I remember Ginn dropping his guitar and sulking off stage after Rollins turned 'Louie Louie' into a ten-minute free-association spoken word-over-music piece...I think without warning the band first!

I also saw the DK's in 1985, a month before Frankenchrist was released. October 30, 1985--they played "Halloween" at midnight. Good times.

8. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Where's Publius? He's a 9353 fan...

Gray Matter - awesome. Dischord just remastered and reissued Food for Thought and Take It Back on one CD last year. A definite must-own. Dante now owns the Black Cat, of course, and for the club's 10th anniversary last year Gray Matter played a reunion gig.

Rites of Spring. Mike, I can't believe you don't own this one. Run, don't walk to Dischord's website and buy the CD. In my head every now and then, I think of what 5 CDs I would tell a DC music newbie to buy to get a sense of the scene from the beginning to today. RoS is always one of them. Think of them as DC's Run-DMC. The scene was beginning to falter in repetition, violence at shows, etc., and RoS changed it up, brought new energy to the scene, and kept it alive.

RoS only put out one LP and a 7-inch (which are now available on one remastered CD from Dischord), but that output was enough. The CD is un-f'ing-believable. I'm not even sure that the best Fugazi record (Repeater, IMO) stands up to it.

9. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    That show was awesome. Keith came on as a vocalist first and did a couple of songs, including the awesome "Wasted". Then Keith left and Henry came out, followed shortly by Ian. I know they did "Rise Above" together, but I thought "TV Party" was later in the set, after Ian had left. I remember thinking it would have been hilarious if Ian and Henry had done "Six Pack" together :)

That show is memorable to me also because Q & Not U opened. They are easily my favorite band - both live and on record - right now, and that was the first time I saw them play.

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

If you like the Butthole Surfers I am pretty certain you will like Ed Hall

Actually saw Helmet open for Ed Hall and Flipper at the HAur House years and years ago in Baltimore. Though I didn't make it all the way to the Flipper set, had to "evacuate" by then. :D

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

not owning Rites of Spring is like shooting yourself in the face. it sucks.

get that album

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks for the tip. I'll order RoS when we get home from Thanksgiving.

So I've probably ripped over 300 CDs, and only one wasn't found with iTunes query to CDDB - Make Your Last Days Loud Days.

I had no idea Publius was a 9353 fan.

13. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    He's an old school DC punker himself. Saw Minor Threat at the original, actual 9:30...

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my mom likes the dead kennedy's

15. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this post reversal bug is killing me

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    But, but, but, he's a Republican???!?!!

We all know Republicans don't appreciate cool music. ;)

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Only the turncoats like me do :)

18. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reagan youth dude

we are the sons of reagan! YEOW!

19. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a thread.

I never got up to experience first hand the DC Hardcore scene but I lived vicariously through vinyl and I caught some shows in Norfolk. I graduated high school in '87. I love Minor Threat and Bad Brains. Do you guys remember The Germs? I wish I could've seen the Dead Kennedys live. Does anyone remember the 4 disc Black Flag album set that had all their radio ads?

"Don't forget the poontang, son!" :D

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I have a friend who started a band called ButtSteak in Norfolk, VA. Any chance you caught them play?

21. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say I remember the band, but I was normally very drunk when out at a show.

22. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    You would have remembered these boys. :D

so.....any of you cats into:
    [​IMG]

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    What did I say?

24. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Only on this board could a question about joining a SC evolve into a musical free-for-all. Bless your hearts, the lot of you. :D

BTW, who here digs Meat Beat Manifesto?

25. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I must honestly admit I am totally lost here. I tried to get into the whole scene of going to see small bands that no one had ever heard of. That all ended in tears the night I went to see a band called Panzy Division. All I knew was they had opened for Green Day in the mid 90's. Anywho, a mixture of pot laced with PCP and the lead singer running around spraying silly string, naked from the waste down (they were a gay punk band, who knew!?!) led to some nearly tragic events that I would rather not talk about. So, needless to say, I ended my days of musical experimentation that night.

By the way, Barra Brava's dad could beat up Screaming Eagle's dad.

Now, off for another beer. :D