How do I join?

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by Section106, Nov 20, 2004.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    So do I. No need to run. :)

The music I listened to pre 1988 was never really all that popular. In fact, the stuff I listen to now isn't all that popular either.

So I'm on my way home from work (man did traffic SUCK) and I turned on Fungus, channel 53, on XM. I heard Sneakers by The Teen Idles, Rock and Roll by The Plasmatics, and a bunch of other stuff that made being stuck in traffic almost bearable. I saw Wendy 'O back in '87 or '88 at the 9:30 Club. Wow, what an amazing show that was.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Another great release from Henry's Infinite Zero label - Sex Bomb Baby, by Flipper. I can remember doodling that stupid fish on notebooks when I was taking some adult college classes.

Oh, and if you're not into harDCore and want to find out what it's all about, you can't go wrong with this:

[​IMG]

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Mike I didn't now your wife had some photos in Banned in DC! small world

That book, when it first came out was an inspiration when I first started shooting photos. I used to do a lot of stuff for local 'zines and the college rag in in the late 80's and the early 90's. Agnostic Front, Cro-mags, Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Bad Brains, Sick of it All, Fugazi along with tons of other bands over the years. It led me to me loving photography and to being a combat photographer today in the military.

I still do some concert and band photo work for my friend, Mark Noah (name dropping, sorry) of GMM records and the Anti-Heros and some of the bands on his label.

I enjoy shooting shows alot. I just shot the Bouncing Souls and Against Me! a couple weeks ago. Dec. 6 is Hatebreed with Sick of it All. Cant wait as I haven't seen SOIA since '91. G.I Joe headstomp....."the floor is all yours......"

Sorry about ramble had a long day and it was good to think about the old days.

GreatScott, If you end up in Chucktown let me know and Ill fill you in on where the shows are, sadly not as many as in DC but more than you probalby would think.

Mikey

4. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holy crap, nice resume..
    i used to do pictures for local shows aroundhere. now my friend does alot.
    www.iwishiwascool.com is his site, just go to band photography. hes really good.

im going to the hatebreed show in Virginia Beach. i love hatebreed, but i hate their new fans (too much mall punk for me) No Warning is also playing this show. i heard they play alot of new stuff , which sucks, the new cd is a story in why hardcore bands shouldnt sell out, but their first lp and 7" rules.

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didnt know there were shows in charleston thats awesome
    i hope i get into either george mason of CofC. hopefully not both haha ill be too torn :D

6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

by the way
    GB and Cro-Mags are some of the bands that got me into hardcore/punk.
    my mom gave me greenday's 1039 smoothed out slappy hours tape when i was 5. it went downhill from there. but when i was like 13i stole my cousins old records (i thought he wouldnt notice, little did i know, cro-mags, bold, youth of today, among others, they were about the biggest hardcore bands he had, needless to say he found out quickly) but i was hooked ahah

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could I forget one of the first hardcore bands in the US? Iron Cross.

Im still good friends with their lead singer Sab Grey (who is a big Arsenal fan by the way and Ive been trying to meet up with in DC for a United game for a couple years.)

He has a couple side projects ranging from rockabilly to bluegrass and punk but still gets together with Iron Cross once or twice a year!

Check out Sab Grey and the Articulate Rednecks or Sab Grey and the Royal Americans and look for a tall Mofo and tell him Mikey said to say hello, and then tell him I said Chelsea is going to win the EPL this year and watch him shake his head.....

Mikey

8. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh yeah.... better than coffee :D
    (*Note to self - have to buy this comp again)

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strech Armstrong are from Columbia,SC (about 90 miles from here) and always play here and usually bring a couple bands with them. New Brookland Tavern in Columbia is a good place for tons of band recently. Locally the Music Farm or Cumberland's has a couple decent shows every month or so. Myrtle Beach has a few shows as well.

Mikey

10. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my sister goes to USC and i still didnt know that. i am applying to USC also, but not too excited about it.. not my style.

thats awesome, stretch isnt really my style either but they are a good band, and fun live.

how big can the shows get down there

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Music Farm holds around 500-700 and Ive seen it packed but been to shows I thought would have been packed and their was only a couple dozen. New Brookland in Columbia is too small for bands like Bouncing Souls and Hatebred but it does give the show a tight, DYI feeling. The biggest show Ive been to lately is DKM, with Roger Miret and the Distasters in Myrtle Beach must of been a 1,000-2,000.

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like a good selection

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    There's one picture of her and her best friend from high school, from a show at, I think WUST. But it's from a long way away, they're in the middle of the crowd. Hmm, I'm going to go grab the book right now. BRB.

OK, she's in a crowd shot on page 159, and she's about in the middle of the frame. Dark shirt, red hair which looks blonde since the photo is B&W. In fact, she kind of stands out since she's the only person with a dark shirt in that part of the shot. And it wasn't taken at WUST, it was taken at Food For Thought at a Gray Matter show, in 1985. Wow, that really is back in the day. She would've been 21.

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im looking....

got her!
    thats awesome man. there are so many good pictures in this book i havent read it in a while

15. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    now that is what i call an amazing thread sidetracking

16. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would now like to officially welcome you all to the offseason.

17. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    May Warren RIP

18. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    and this noise relates to DC United how ? ? ? ? :confused:

19. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    or both

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    About the same was as Warren Zevon does.

Lighten up. It's the off-season. :)

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

DC United supporters noise.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Generic Album" by Flipper is one of the great lost classics of early-80's hardcore.

So, it's off-season, huh? ;)

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Anyone remember these guys?
    [​IMG]

or better yet...

[​IMG]

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I vaguely remember that one. The ones I know are Blowing Chunks, American Grafishy, and Sex Bomb Baby. Yeah, there were a great hardcore band, but not to be confused with harDCore. :)

Weren't they from Oakland or San Francisco? Somewhere out there anyway. I think they used to do shows with the DKs a lot way back in the day. I wonder what ever happened to them.

Speaking of good punk shows, how many people were at the 9:30 Club (I hate calling it that - the 9:30 Club no longer exists) when Rollins Band performed almost all of the old Black Flag catalog? They started the show with Keith Levine on vocals, then Henry came out after about six or seven songs. One of the highlights was when Ian came up on stage to sing a few. I think they did TV Party together.

I know that gocaps and Owen were at the show. Maybe they can remind me which songs Ian and Henry did together. It was a great show.

Yeah, guess so. :D

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I ripped this last night.

[​IMG]

or better yet...

Don't remember them.

How about these guys?

[​IMG]

Saw them when they did their "reunion" tour back on 91 or 92 at the real 9:30 Club. Bruce and Vance were the only members left, and they were incredible. In typical 9353 fashion they only did about three or four shows before they realized that they really did hate each other, so they broke up again.

The show Jan and I saw back then was in-freakin-credible though.