How do I join?

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by Section106, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yeah having "little dick" talk smack and grab his balls at you tends to focus the concentration on anger

2. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    :confused:

good god am i lost......

3. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Rob, I know you're a country fan - but you would definitely respect Minor Threat, which existed for three tumultuous years from 1980-1983 (with a breakup and reformation in the middle there). They are probably the definitive American hardcore band and, for all intents and purposes, created the straight-edge lifestyle. They were all underage and, as a result, couldn't get into rock shows in clubs at the time. Hence "Minor" Threat - as in all of them were minors.

Their leader was Ian MacKaye, the co-founder (at the age of 18) and (still) co-head of Dischord Records, the preeminent and highly respected DC record label. It is no stretch to say that the entire DC scene as it is now - which includes the all-ages nature of local rock clubs, low ticket prices, low CD prices, and the number of record labels that were/are distributed by Dischord or created by Dischord artists - exists today because of the actions of two very driven 18 year olds in 1980 - namely Ian and his drummer in MT, Jeff Nelson.

And that's not even really talking about the music - which is incredible.

In 1987, a few years after MT's demise, MacKaye helped found Fugazi, a band that presaged how rock sounded in the '90s and became wildly popular without music videos, traditional radio promotion (really any kind of promotion at all), or interviews with the corporate rock press. Their live shows are unreal and, although they're on hiatus now - they remain vital today and put out one of their best albums, The Argument, in 2001.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ahh, memories of the formative years.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    thanks for the background Paul. i always forget DC has a booming music scene (beyond go-go)

btw--i believe Roy Clark lived in DC for a while

6. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Just having go-go alone is so damn cool. I always have wished that the two thriving youth music scenes in DC - go-go and indie rock - would mesh more. There was a group in the mid '80s called Beefeater that tried to mix in funk and jazz influences into its work, but, with a few exceptions, it worked better as an experiment than it did musically.

One of Fugazi's innovations, actually, was its use of dub-influenced rhythms under rock guitar. There was a great article in the Post a few years back where Ian MacKaye talked about his favorite go-go records...

7. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just for the record, go-go rules.

but yeah thats a good summary.

there are actually a bunch of DCU fans i have met because of hardcore.

i just think its awesome how a bunch of teenagers in the 70's started something which still exists today. no music videos, no real promotion, and normally no more than a few hundred bucks shelled out for recording..

about the mix of music go caps, i mean DC has always been a cauldron for music experimentation.. minor threat, BAD BRAINS, go-go etc.. and lots of cali punk like Operation Ivy worked its way into the traditional rough music on this coast.

although dc's hardcore and punk music scene has been on a lull (minus bands like Striking Distance etc) they are coming back, kids are booking more shows despite the lack of venues since safari club started the trend of not booking hardcore shows. some big scenes now are, Richmond, Boston, SoCal, southern florida etc.
    if your interested in that kind of music gocaps or anyone for that mater, i can give you guys some modern bands to check out

8. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    If Ian and MT were the high priests of hardcore, Bad Brains were the gods, because they were, are, and always will be the inspiration. What an amazing band.

And I used to listen to OpIvy back in high school. Still awesome today.

Boston and Richmond scenes are cool, I know a little bit about those scenes and I still dig the classic-sounding stuff. DC scene is different now, definitely not the classic harDCore from the '80s, but still awesome. In the last few years, we've had Q & Not U making hardcore records with funky basslines and synth, the Dismemberment Plan crossing punk, hip-hop, pop, and jazz into a totally unclassifiable and super-cool stew, and Black Eyes being - well, I don't even know how to describe them other than annoying, aggressive, and awesome. And that's not even bringing up the mellower bands in the scene, or the new ones. I've seen some insane multi-instrumented bizarro stuff in the last year.

What I love hearing and seeing most of all is that kids are still out there bringing it. The next Ian is probably out there right now.

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if youre into the older stuff, you should check out Down To Nothing from richmond
    www.xdowntonothingx.com
    just found the site isd under construction
    but bookmark it haha

also,
    http://www.wornthin.net/
    worn thin is washington dc hardcore.

they are breaking up soon though.

both those bands are what some people call "old school"

damn there are so many bands who i want to post but i shouldnt go doing that so ill just give you this link:
    http://www.bridge9.com/bridgenine/bands.html
    or
    http://www.bridge9.com/bridgenine/media-mp3s.html
    for mp3s
    tons of bands of all hardcore/punk styles. thats one of the big lables these days

if youre every interested: IM me freeyourselfxxx
    (dc's striking distance song! free yourself)

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    [​IMG]

That One?

11. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    That one...

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    He is a nice guy, I had a chance to meet him at a show we opened for them and he was the nicest of the bunch as I remember, or the most outwardly talkative. Wasn't expecting him at the tailgates. Then again this season has been quite an eye opening full of surprises experience for me.

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Did you guys ever go to Jawbox shows? I liked the early stuff (cliche statement, I know), and even managed to catch Helmet by accident when they opened for Jawbox. They left Dischord for a major label and then sputtered, but I think J. Robbins is producing records now. Great band.

ON TOPIC :: Sample all the groups, you'll find joining any of them easy.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Marc, I can't remember if I asked you guys what the name of your band was. What was it?

16. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Missed out on Jawbox - I was in college when they came out, so I was out of town during their heyday. J. Robbins has produced several classic albums (including co-production on the above-pictured LP with another leading light of DC music, Chad Clark) and continues to play and tour with his new band, Channels.

Actually, Lowecifer, a quick little search shows that Channels is playing the Talking Head up there tomorrow night. I suppose it would be too early to bring the wee one to his first show, eh?

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Envoy. But I'm not under 25, sadly.

"Patti Hearst
    Heard the burst
    Of Roland's Thompson gun
    And . . .bought it."

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    "went hom with a waitress
    the way i always do

how was i to know
    she was with the russians too?"

19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C.-native Henry Rollins has been a huge go-go fan. He's always been effusive about go-go; and when his reissue label, Infinite Zero, got cranking about 7 years ago, the very first album released was an out-of-print double live album from the glory days of Trouble Funk (and he wrote the liner notes). I can't recommend this album highly enough, btw.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:x0evad1ky8w3~T1

(You can always suck me in by talking about go-go -- or any other funk, for that matter).

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was in college as well, but first saw them on a summer break. They played with Shudder to Think in Austin when I was living there.

Alas, if I take the wee one to a hardcore show, he'll rebel and end up liking some **************** like Dave Matthews, and I don't want that now, do I?

21. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a year to prepare; and yet I was so bummed when he died.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I got to the DC area a bit late to catch the heyday of harDCore, but I did catch some of it.

My wife's picture is in a crowd shot in this book

[​IMG]

Didn't find her shot online, but I did find this

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/exhibits/banned.html

Speaking of Bad Brains

[​IMG]

And speaking of Minor Threat

[​IMG]

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Wow. Trouble Funk brings back some memories.

I miss the 9:30 Club.

Infinite Zero is a great label. I have their reissues of Gang Of Four, some Devo, a few other things. I can't remember what else.

24. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some of you guys might know Bruce, hes a norteno, used to catch Minor Threat shows sometimes too.

for my birthday a few years ago my sister bought me the Minor Threat DVD with three live shows.

DC Space, one other and 9:30 club
    fun video

25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States