how do I become the master of my own domain?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by skipshady, Jun 24, 2003.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    So here's my deal. I'm trying to start my bloggish/photo gallery site, just for shits and giggles. And it would be nice to have my own domain. Now, I understand that I can register a domain for a fee. What do I need after that?

I have a Mac.com account that I'd like to keep, since it's nicely integrated with my desktop. But if I use the mac.com server, would I be able to use my domain? As in, can people type in www.mystupidsite.com and connect to homepage.mac.com/myname/mystupidsite/? And can I have hompeage.mac.com/myname/mystupidsite/stuff show up as www.mystupidsite.com/stuff/?

Thanks.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can register your site, i.e. skipshady.com and have the url be redirected to your homepage.mac.com site.

That way I type in www.skipshady.com and it will automatically bring me to homepage.mac.com/skipshady

Or you can just pay $55 a year and have your site hosted.

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have a redirect. Not sure if you can do that with any kind of free service, but the actual work involved is very little.

Yes. As a matter of fact, my webmail interface on my home machine does exactly this - you go to mail.kutchered.com, but that's not the machine/port the mail server is running on. I did it with an Apache reverse proxy. In order to set this up you do need access to Apache config files somewhere.

If you have a static, or mostly so, IP over DSL or cable modem, you could set up Apache (or some other webserver) and use it to proxy (or redirect) to your Mac site. It's actually pretty easy.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: how do I become the master of my own domain?

Interesting. I'll look into this. Though getting my own domain is completely for looks, so while it would be nice, it's not something I'll invest a lot of money and labor on.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: how do I become the master of my own domain?

If you already have DSL/cable, and it's always on, it's actually nearly costless to host your own domain. And if you proxied the site, it'd be completely transparent to visitors - they'd never realize they weren't on skipshady.org. Just use xname.org as your name servers, run Apache for free on your always-on PC, and use xname's DNS update script to handle any IP changes and you'll be golden.

6. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i registered my domain at web.com for free for one year. i later switched my server to webmasters.com $10/mo with lots of function including fp server expansion, cgi, asp, etc etc. i thought you can point the dns to any kind of servers as long as you have account with them. no?

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use pronicsolutions.com

Great customer service.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use icdsoft.com, great price, great customer service and great offerings.