How do fans of USL teams feel about playing against MLS reserve teams?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by AmeriSnob, Aug 15, 2014.

1. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that more and more MLS teams are going to be fielding full reserve squads in USL. Now this may be good for the third division as a whole, since it saves them money on travel costs. And the independent teams can choose to affiliate with the MLS teams that don't operate full reserve teams in order to save costs on salary. But what other affects does this have?

One thing I wanted to look into was whether there was a stigma attached to playing competitive games against reserve teams in the eyes of fans of USL team fans. So I quickly compared attendances for games in the 2014 season played against MLS reserve teams (including LA II) vs. attendances for games played against non-reserve teams. I excluded Sacramento from the analysis since they recently changed to a smaller stadium, LA Galaxy II because they are a reserve team themselves, and Charlotte because they haven't played any home games against reserve teams yet.

Some very cursory findings are here.

Overall, home games against MLS reserve teams average 8% fewer fans than games against other teams. 5 out of the 11 teams in the analysis saw lower attendances (and 4 of them being decreases of >= 19%) while 6 of the 11 teams saw increases (with all but 2 being less than 10%). Of course, analysis of the individual teams would be very inadequate due to small sample size.

One other thing to note is the inclusion of 3 games hosted by Orange County Blues, all against either LA Galaxy II or Chivas USA Reserves. This would explain their higher than normal attendances for those games.

It would be best to wait until the end of the year before coming to any sort of conclusion. Anyway, USL fans, how do you feel about the increase of full MLS reserve teams in USL Pro? Do you feel as excited about matches against MLS reserve teams as you do against regular first teams? Are you more, less or just as likely to attend games against MLS reserve teams?

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. "Stigma" is probably not the right word.
    2. The visiting team, in most cases, is not nearly as important as the date and the weather. There are some exceptions, but not a lot.
    3. Small samples, yes.

Two years of data:

Orlando...........3...20,338...6,779
    Rochester.........2....9,413...4,707
    OKC...............2....7,879...3,940
    Wilmington........2....6,044...3,022
    Charleston........3....9,039...3,013
    Pittsburgh........2....5,347...2,674
    Richmond..........2....4,773...2,387
    Phoenix/Arizona...4....9,223...2,306*
    Harrisburg........3....5,938...1,979
    LA/Orange County..4....6,081...1,520
    Charlotte.........2....2,597...1,299
    Dayton............2....2,452...1,226
    Tampa Bay.........1......292.....292

*Not the same club, but same market

Not surprising - teams that can sell tickets can sell tickets and the teams that can't (or couldn't), are at the bottom of this list.

Orlando getting 10,697 for Sounders Reserves last year had absolutely nothing to do with Sounders Reserves, just like VSI Tampa Bay getting 292 for Portland's reserves had nothing to do with Portland's reserves.

3. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly important points. That is why my particular focus is on the percentage difference between the two, rather than the raw numbers. Now -8% isn't too significant a difference, but at the same time its too early to draw a full conclusion. Next year will be a better testing ground since we will have several full-time reserve teams entering.

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather watch an independent pro team than reserves. Just a different dynamic. Essentially that's what Galaxy II are, but don't tell anyone. It's different watching a bunch of guys who identify at that level as a cohesive team than play a bunch of guys who's real objective is to impress their coaches enough to get them called up to the first team. Generally more entertaining from my experience. Sacramento and Wilmington have something to play for (USL Pro playoffs/championship) and adversely effect one another; the Colorado Rapids reserves, not so much. Just my experience/opinion.

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That makes a lot of sense and is very true. having clubs reverve/minor league. Which ever way a club plans to set up there USLPro club the goal will be for that minor league club to work close with the parent club. The goal of the players will be the same to get to the major league level. At the same time they will be playing in an organized league with winning the league in mind and have supporters. Opposed to having a reverse team playing a monday afternoon match on a practice pitch

6. 916CHELSEA

916CHELSEA New Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Republic are heavily affiliated with Portland and San Jose though right? Has it affected the Republic's access to players this season? If so, their situation is scarcely any different to the reserve teams in my humble opinion.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Probably not much of a difference in talent level. From a supporter of a USLPRO club playing another club in the league opposed to just a freindly match against a reserve side comes with some more meaning for the supporters.
    The goal is think is to have a minor league club that can somewhat support itself. Through Supporters at matches buying merchandise etc. Having a local investor to partner with like in Vancouver.
    For most clubs it is a way to generate some revenue to support a reserve/minor league team.
    For clubs like LAG and NYRB who have the $$$ can basically continue to be more like a traditional reserve club but will have the club in an official minor league

8. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Heavily" is a bit much. Portland and San Jose have at any time 1 or 2 players officially loaned to the club. The most important piece has been goal keeper Jake Gleeson, but even he has missed almost half of the games. Most of the guys are here for short spells or aren't that important to the team. They've done well enough without the loaners. That's very different then a reserves team.

Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  9. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see much difference: I guess it's a chance to possibly see some recent MLS players, but at this level, a game's a game. In the last two years, I've pulled for local teams against LA, Orlando and Pittsburgh on down to Laredo and West Texas.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Day of the week may be more important than opponent. I've noticed that games against MLS reserve teams are more likely to be played on weeknights, which I think explains the difference in attendance by itself.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Exactly the reason why they want all clubs affilated in some way with A USL Pro and be part of a league with schedule. Like AAA baseball and AHL there are different ways minor league franchises are set. Owned by the major club, Partnered with investors from the minor club, or owned by a seperate owner.
    Now the Partnered or seperate ownerships take care of the marketing of the club etc. The major league affiliated though runs the on field and player movements. whether the player has a minor league contract or a major league contract.
    To have a true minor league team the major league club will need to be in charge of personel decisions. Making like a reserve club but with its own idendity, in its own league

12. OpenCupFan

OpenCupFan Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Watching a reserves team is like watching practice. Having players on loan on the team is not the same. Much rather see independent team than a reserve side - in any sport.