How did you become a Gooner?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jatm516, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Billy and I were talking last night about this phenomenon. I think it is safe to say that we are in the minority here in Arkansas of people that have even heard of the Arsenal. So since we are an extremely scattered bunch geographically and probably a bit maniacal due to our time spent on this board, I'm curious to know how you became an Arsenal fan.

2. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC

didn't we have a thread like this last week? :rolleyes:

3. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fine then just delete the damn thing, Ryan. I just thought it would be nice to redirect the conversation around something a bit more positive during this chaos. We've been talking about the London bombings on at least 3-4 different threads since about 5am. I figured some would want a mental break, especially since our football talk is fairly mundane during off-season.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i suggest perusing the 20 other threads to this topic in the past year...

5. texasoccer

texasoccer New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    OK, I'll bite. Two words: Dennis Bergkamp

6. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC

:p for being a smartass,

[​IMG]

just effin' with you girl!

7. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well, i just grew up supporting arsenal... i can say no more than that, its all my uncles allowed me to ever know. (my parents dont like football, so my mums brothers got me into it from the beggining)

8. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One doesn't become a Gooner. You are either a Gooner or not. Of course one may not discover he/she is a Gooner until later in life ;)

9. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough in the early to mid 80's my brothers footie team was coached by a Gunner fan and he called their team the Augusta Arsenal Gunners. Got us interested in the teamand we never looked back!

10. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    f ****** u too james just forget the whole f ucking thread

mod...please delete thread

11. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    dang Ash....we's just pullin' ya leg....don't get Vicky's secret in a bunch, criminey!

"Saucer of milk, table 2"
    [​IMG]

12. JCGooner

JCGooner New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    In the mid to late 70's over half the starting 11 were Irish; Brady, Stapelton, O leary, Rice, Jennings, Nelson, Devine - hence a lot of Irish guys my age, (mid-thirties now) became Arsenal fans as young kids. There used to be a great tradition of Irish guys making it at Highbury, what the French are to the club now we used to be 25 years ago. However these days it looks like most of Arsene's scouting takes place in continental Europe although there are 2 or 3 young Irish guys on their books now, interesting to see if they make it.

13. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
  14. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Ummmmm Yeah.. The Off Topic thread is Thatta way! :p

15. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC

this thread was headed for off topic the second ashley's fingers hit the keyboard...;)

done with this thread....

*leaves and head's back to the place where everybody knows your name*

16. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    in hopes of reviving this thread (and because I haven't posted it in any of the others), I figured I'd jump in...

Its simple, as a young boy I was in London with my parents and it was probably at either Hamleys or Harrods, but I picked out a bunch of Arsenal gear. I have no idea what drove me to Arsenal (as I also picked out a West Ham pennant), but at the age of 3 or 4, my fate was sealed, I was an Arsenal supporter. I got serious about soccer again in the 90s (as an offshoot of the World Cup in the US) and was on my high school's soccer team. I would regularly read (and occassionally purchase) Shoot and 90 Minutes (I still have the one from when we first signed Bergkamp in '95. I would always check out the Arsenal results and news and with the internet and now FSC my love for Arsenal has just continued to grow (including my pilgrammage to the Home of Football two years ago).

17. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    At this point deleting it would be letting you off the hook too easily...

I'm sort of enjoying watching the "internet dogpile" that has ensued... :D

18. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    the person who created this thread is pretty funny, and all her posts are offtopic related.

jatm do you know who dennis bergkamp is..? :D

19. making tea atthe BBC

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    well Real offered me 90k quid/mth but would not call me a Gallactico so I had some contacts at the Arsenal Tavern and Tbirds and I willingly signed with Arsene as long as I bought the pints saturday night