How did you become a FC Bayern Munich Supporter?

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by Catfish, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    how many world class players were on the pool CL winning side this season?

how many for porto the year before?

its obvious nicephoras only goes with the english media (and the london press, at that) and his football knowledge and understanding is a result of that media bias...

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey! Don't mess with my new buddy like that!! LOL!! :)

Seriously, in his defense, he's not the only one like that.

Not as many are as defensive and "strong" in their beliefs, but there are others like him.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea, not that many defend their so called beliefes in the immature manner that he does either.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by footyfan1
    Hey! Don't mess with my new buddy like that!! LOL!!

Seriously, in his defense, he's not the only one like that.

Not as many are as defensive and "strong" in their beliefs, but there are others like him.

We understand each other. ;)

However, I can't be too critical of the guy. There are certain people who drive me to that point pretty quickly too. :)

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finally this interesting and growing thread has a sticky!

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, you both hate Bayern ;) Thats a common interest that bonds a many football fans together ,no?

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We understand each other.

However, I can't be too critical of the guy. There are certain people who drive me to that point pretty quickly too.

That's nowhere near what I was saying. He and I wouldn't get along on the basis of dislike for Bayern. I hate Bayern less than the two clubs he has listed. I'm sure he doesn't think much of my favorite club.

But I know what you are saying.

Hating a common enemy does bond many football fans together.

However, it's not just Bayern. The football world, especially mine, doesn't revolve around fans' opinion of Bayern.

I'd think more fans around the world are "bonded" by hatred for Man U.. Since you like Man U. as I do, I think you know what I'm talking about.

Same for Real, Barca, Juve and most clubs who have others jealous of their success.

In my case, I've told you my hate for Bayern has nothing to do with jealousy. I used to be a Bayern fan until I learned what they are about and how they do business.

I'm not jealous of what Bayern has because I know how they got most of it after 1995.

It's nothing to be jealous of in my opinion, but I know thousands are.

And despite that, I can give Bayern credit for being the best management team in Germany and possibly Europe and the world.

A club run by the guys it should be. Football men with a true passion for the club.

But I know what they are and how they operate.

I just understand this other guy. I don't think we'd be "friends" based on my feelings about the clubs he listed......

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Quite a few. However, given I'd say Bayern currently has 5 world class players on its roster, I don't really see how I'm "underrating" Bayern or being unfair to them. Really, who aside from ZeRo and Ballack is world class in that midfield? Deisler? No. Hargreaves? Please. Scholl? 5 years ago. Frings? No. Jeremies? No. Salihamidzic? No. Are they good players? Most of them are, sure. But world class? No.
    If you want to argue that this is too low a number, OK, I suppose. However, players like Pizarro, Demichelis, etc. aren't world class. Sorry. As for Schweinsteiger, as I said - if he's world class, Joe Cole is. And I don't think Joe Cole is.

9. shutoutj

shutoutj New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Rome, Georgia
    Who are the 5 world class players? Ballack, Ze Roberto, Makaay, ????????

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Just out of my own curiosity, I counted. I came up with 2. That number might go up to 3 had Moro been eligible.

:confused: What difference does it make?

Because I don't jump up and down like a giddy little girl over Bastian Schweinsteiger? Uh huh.

For the record, while I'm not a huge fan of Bayern, I don't hate Bayern at all. I've been to Bavaria, its a nice, albeit curious place. Didn't make it to Munich, sadly, hope to either this September or next year for the World Cup. Half the time I post because SirManchester comes up with idiotic claims about Bayern or Germany (his "Germany is renowned for its defensive league more than anyone else" was my favorite). I don't get along with Chelsea supporters who spew nonsense either. *cough*ZANI*cough*. I had a perfectly civil conversation with many of you after our first leg at the Bridge on these boards, and respect many of the posters. SirManchester is not one of them, because he's an incorrigible halfwit. Arguments like "the Bundesliga is as good as the EPL, you just don't watch it" get tiresome. I do watch it, and its not. Most observers AND the UEFA coefficients will tell you that. It doesn't mean I hate Germany anymore than I hate Belgium because I think their league's even worse than yours. (Now I'm going to get complaints from angry Genk fans, I'm sure.)

Oh, and for the record - Chelsea also only have 2 world class players in their midfield. Although we're working on that.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Kahn and Lucio. I do think Lucio is a bit overrated, but he's still very, very good.

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I assume his five are Ballack, Lucio, Makaay, Kahn and possibly Pizarro.

Bayern players I consider "World Class" are:

Ballack, Makaay and Lucio

And I hedged on Ballack, but he's grown into that description.

I just consider "World Class" the ultimate compliment and don't give it easily.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutoutj
    Who are the 5 world class players? Ballack, Ze Roberto, Makaay, ????????

Dude, you consider Ze Roberto "World Class"? I like him, but I can't give him that compliment.

In my book, Kahn hasn't been "World Class" since 2002.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I wouldn't have said that of Kahn last year, but I thought he was very good again this year. How many goalkeepers would rate above him? 5?
    As for ZeRo - I've always been a big ZeRo fan. He's absolutely vital for Brazil, although I think he tired later in the year for Bayern.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    I became a supporter when my newly adopted club kept buying these really good players I played with in my video game...

oops this isn't the Chelsea board.

16. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOOOOO... how DID you ALL become FC Bayern Munich Supporters...

... on track please :D

(or start a "Five World Class Players or NOT" thread, thank you)

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    AMEN...eissman. Great call. I know most of the recent posters are NOT Bayern Munich supporters.
    Carry on, gentlemen.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you consider Ze Roberto "World Class"? I like him, but I can't give him that compliment.

In my book, Kahn hasn't been "World Class" since 2002.

"Kicker" rated 12 goalkeepers in the Bundesliga alone over Kahn. You think that's "World Class"?? Bayern's defense was close to that, but not Kahn.

Can't agree with you on Ze Roberto. Very good player. I think he's very underrated world-wide. But I can't call him "World Class".

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eissman
    SOOOOO... how DID you ALL become FC Bayern Munich Supporters...
    ... on track please
    (or start a "Five World Class Players or NOT" thread, thank you)

Hold on guys. Do you have a problem with those of us who don't bow before the Bayern Muenchen logo??

What are we saying that is unreasonable, false, or can't be argued??

20. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Interesting. I wasn't aware you thought five current Bayern players were to be considered world class. That would be a record for any Bayern roster, btw, the previous best being four world class players on a Bayern roster, in 1974 (Beckenbauer, Müller, Breitner, Maier). Schweinsteiger is of course not world class.

Six teams actually got that opportunity to beat the two previous Cup winners home and away since the start of the European Cup in 1955. Only one did accomplish it.

Here's the list of missed opportunities:

1968-69 AC Milan 0-0 0-1 Celtic (1967 winner)
    1968-69 AC Milan 2-0 0-1 Manchester United (1968 winner)

1971-72 Benfica 5-1 0-1 Feijenoord Rotterdam (1970 winner)
    1971-72 Benfica 0-0 0-1 Ajax Amsterdam (1971 winner)

1980-81 CSKA Sofia 1-0 1-0 Notthingham Forest (1980 winner)
    1980-81 CSKA Sofia 0-1 1-5 Liverpool (1978 winner)

1989-90 Bayern Munich 2-1 1-0 PSV Eindhoven (1988 winner)
    1989-90 Bayern Munich 2-1 0-1 AC Milan (1989 winner)

2000-01 RSC Anderlecht 2-1 1-5 Manchester United (1999 winner)
    2000-01 RSC Anderlecht 0-2 1-4 Real Madrid (2000 winner)

Until finally Bayern pulled it off:

2000-01 Bayern 2-1 1-0 Real Madrid (2000 winner)
    2000-01 Bayern 2-1 1-0 Manchester United (1999 winner)

Interesting to note that Bayern got closest to doing it in their 1989-90 campaign, when they beat PSV home and away and Milan home (but lost away).

21. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I take it you are using the Kicker definition of World Class here Gregoriak? Do you know if they ever specified exactly what it is that makes a player World Class? That looks like 'top three in their position in the world'? Which can also be a bit unfair as there are always the same numbers of excellent players around.

And who would you call World Class now? Without bothering to come up with a proper definition, that would be Ballack, Makaay and Lucio for me. But maybe these categories are not so helpful anyway.

22. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) WE don't discriminate in the forum... could care less who you "bow" to... PLEASE remember that. We are respectful of all...

2) If you have a reasonable argument or rebuttal, we are ALL for that... simply KEEP THE THREAD TOPIC GOING or start a new thread.
    (Instructions: click <New Topic>, give title, and begin typing)

3) If these concerns are not in accordance with your plan here in this forum, then we would please ask that you reconsider posting here.

---------------------------- Thank you kindly ---------------------------

p.s. Footyfan1... why the chip on the shoulder? Every time we simply request something you get all in a huff... what gives? Honestly, it is getting a little tiresome.

23. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BTW...Amazing work by our resident Stats guy... Gregoriak. ;)

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fully agree! Awesome work there!!!

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Take it easy everyone. This thread is about to be closed. Not only is everyone waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but now you have gone from your usual classy poster selves to brickering little kids.