How did you become a FC Bayern Munich Supporter?

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by Catfish, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just curious. I love hearing footie fans stories of how they have been drawn to the clubs that they support.

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Here's my story, it's pretty simple. Back in Summer 2002, I wasn't much of a soccer fan. However, I've always had an appreciation for all things sport...and I was captivated by the World Cup. I pulled for both the U.S. (since I'm American) and Germany (because I've lived in Heidelberg, Frankfurt, and Wiesbaden)...both sides were rather successful, but I really admired the spectacular effort of Oliver Kahn. For a goalie to stand out and be the best player in the WM was incredible to me! Ollie made me follow soccer, and since I needed a team to support, I decided to support his: Bayern Munich. Little did I know they were so unbelieveably successful. Regardless, I've supported them ever since, and have really come to enjoy the BL and German soccer. So that's my story.

3. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My story is that my father is German and i am a huge soccer fan so i need to support a german club. He is from Stuttgart so i started supporting them,but when i was there i watched Bayern play and i saw how good they were and so i decided to start following them. I still follow Stuttgart by the way....just not as passionate as i am for Bayern.

4. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I first started following the sport in 1996 with Euro 96. Since I was born in Bayern and have returned to Bayern many times on holiday, I decided to follow Bayern Muenchen and Germany. I am a very passionate fan of Bayern and Germany. This is my favorite time of year, because I can follow my favorite teams as they play: Bayern, Germany, and Duke BB team.

5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Duke?? Booooooooooooooooooo....Go Deacs!

6. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At least you dont like UNC. Even I was sad to see Illinois win over WFU. I hate Illinois. They have some of the worst fans in the nation, only trumped by UK.

7. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The Illinois game was awful. Shameful. Terrible. Are their fans really that bad? I've never noticed. By the way, I may not like Duke, but I respect them more than the Tarholes...those bastards. I loathe UNC.

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I'm only in it for the glory and trophies :eek:

9. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    because of pizarro...

10. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why thank you... thank you very much. I will consider that a compliment seeing that we only once in a blue moon have a team of the caliber as this one. It a shame you seem so hateful about the state/school/fans... we are quite down-to-earth Midwesterners out here. To each his own, right? Hey, since your a Munich supporter, I consider this only a minor setback in our relationship. ;)

(by the way, the game was last Wednesday. Get over it. The important thing is how the two teams react in their next contest. That will be the telling side. WFU has an excellent team and an quality program... they WILL be a team to reckon with. Wednesday was just not their night. Believe me, I once saw the Chicago Bulls in the second three-peat get blown out by 40 points to the Cavaliers... it was just one game... didn't phase them a bit in the long run.)

11. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Catfish - you and I have had this discussion already, but I enjoyed it soo much I will share my side.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s we budding young soccer players had very little in the way of national team heros or Americans to look up to. Many of us youngen's turned to our family roots and cheered for the national team or club teams of our country of origin. Eiss being my last name, mine was Germany. Our role models for the game came from these teams. Sure there was the NASL, but 90% of the talent was from Europe and it quickly became the "retirement" league. So we had to rely on what cable TV or magazines to find sources of inspiration. My father did extensive travelling in Germany for business for many years, and he brought back with him some Bayern Munich gear on one of his first trips. I still have the Bayern mini-uniform that hangs in the car window on occasion (I have a Borussia one as well... it collects dust for the most part).

Anyways, I was enamored with the pictures of the stadium, the city that my dad would bring home, and reading of all soccer legends that came out of there -- Beckenbauer, Muller, Hoeness, Maier, Breittner, and the rest of the Bayerns boys who made up a good chunk of the WC 1974 side. I starting following the German national team closely and died a slow death each time they lost to Italy and Argentina in those WC finals. I continued to follow the Rummenigges, Littbarskis, Schusters, Pfaffs... right up til now.

I have been loyal to this team without knowing that it was like cheering for the Yankees here in the States... easy to like because they win so damn much (as a RedSox fan, you don't know how hard it was to spit that sentence out!!).

Long Live FC BAYERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. MyTZeus

MyTZeus New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Boring Suburban Hell
    I was lucky enough to visit Munich in 2001. Bavaria is awesome, and Munich is a world class city. Our first night we visited the Hofbrauhaus, with 4,000 people drinking up and having a hell of a time. Great first impression. Very cool people, ample beer, lots to do, tremendous sightseeing, what's not to love? So my initial attraction to FCB was more geographical than football related. But I did know who Kahn was and that he was pretty darn good after seeing him in WC 1998 and again in 2002. Nice to know he was on the local team. But it was Elber who made me a FCB fan. He was just so much fun to watch, and he scored bagfuls. I miss his fiery presence on the team, although Pizarro is similar in personality.

Plus, having German ancestry I needed to pick a BL team, and most of the other teams are just unlikable? Dortmund, W. Bremen? Ugh. Schalke? Some questionable history there, if stories are to be believed. The rest are just nondescript. I just lucked into a winning side. I had no idea. But since most of the rest of the professional teams I support (i.e. Boston Red Sox) win a title once in a blue moon, I need a team that has a chance every year, since Blackburn are going to drive me to drink.

13. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    My father grew up outside Munich (he's actually a lapsed 1860 supporter), so we would visit his side of the family every other summer back in the 70s and 80s. My uncle is a FCB supporter, so he would shower us with flags and Rummenigge jerseys, thereby indoctrinating us into the Bayern family. When I went over to study German I picked Munich as my destination, which was great for the soccer, but not so great for my German.

14. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey Eissman no harm meant. I don't really like WFU either I just disliked how many of the Illinois fans came over to the Duke boards and flamed for 1 week before the sweet 16 last year. They were really bad losers at the time to. Obviously that doesn't speak for all of the fans.

I really hate UK fans because I live in Cincinnati where I have to hear ******** from them all of the time during basket ball season. I even root for UNC when they play against UK.

15. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That made me laugh.

16. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I fell in love with Sepp Maier when I was a kid, while being the goalie of my school team. But then, when Bayern bought Giovane Elber from Vfb Stuttgart in 1997, cleverly destroying Stuttgarts magical triangle, I got annoyed with their opportunist Hoenessesk antics, and cooled down a bit. I still like them though, and wish them well. Mostly.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

ditto.

I am a gloryhunter and proud of it. If Bayern don't win the treble this season, I am migrating to the Chelsea forums :D .

18. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    Since 1982.... I like Germany and Rumme************ so I support Bayern Munich.

19. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    See you there :D

20. TruxHalapino

TruxHalapino New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    It worked the other way around for me.

Growing up in Germany in late 70's, my older brother being the glory hunter bitch he is started cheering for Bayern. Me naturally went with Monchengladbach. Ever since I hate Bayern and every team that wears Adidas, love Gladbach and every team that wears Puma.

21. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man... glad you don't support the Italian National Team then... they change team apparel brands ever year! ;)

22. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    I as South-Tyrolese have some German friends. Most of them are Bavarians because they geographical aren't so far away than other Germans. My first Bavarian friend was a Bayern-supporter and his wife 1860-Fan. And because men understand more about football i became a Bayern-supporter (in the year 1993).

23. bayerndawg

bayerndawg New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Minden Nevada
    Saw my first Bayern game in 1969 (12 years old) Bayern Munich v Hannover 96. It was my first visit to Munich (my mom was born and raised there) My uncles, grandfather everyone were huge 1860 fans. 1860 was the top dog in Munich and they had been fans of 60 forever. My uncle still is. My uncle said he would take me to see the "other team" in Munich my first week there. My grandfather lived on Perlacher St. just a short walk to the Grunwald Stadium. I remember asking him on our walk to the stadium if we had good seats. Of course he told me that we will be standing and after attending sporting events in the U S I thougt that was bizarre. The athmosphere in that great little stadium was fantastic. Bayern had a young Beckenbauer,Mueller, Maier, Roth etc. We were in Germany the whole summer and I was able to see a Bayern or 60 game every weekend. Bayern just seemed like a more exciting team. My relatives couldn't believe how I could become a fan of the "Red Devils". I've been to Munich many times and have seen quite a few games. I was able to go back to the Grunwald Stadium a couple years ago and watch the Bayern Amatures play. They have great pictures of the old stadium on the 1860 webpage.

24. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    My memories don't go quite that far back, but the 70s and the beginning of the 80s were great years. I still remember how upset I was as a child when Rummenigge left Bayern for Inter, I think in 1984. Almost as upset as I was after the Germany-Austria game in 1982.

25. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, i started watching football when i was around 8 years old in 1990 (although id begun playing even earlier than that).

First tournament I saw was Italia 90, when I used to stay up at night (in india) and watch with my elder brother and dad...

Dad used to work in Germany in the 70s so hed tell us all kinds of stories about the germans - how theyd train, etc (even though he is a fan of brazil)...

It was easy to like the W German team of Italia 90 with such names as buchwald, kohler, matthaeus, klinsmann, brehme, reuter, etc...

So after they became champions, I learnt a bit about German footbal history and traced beckenbauer (then manager) back to bayern and germany of the 70s... through books and videos...

followed bayern in the news as much as i could (very little) for a few years, and finally got some detailed stuff about them when they were on their way to winning the UEFA cup in 96... I almost never like the favorites, and at the time, Dortmund were better, so I really began following bayern and enjoying their success...

When i started watching the CL in 96/97/98, I was thoroughly impressed with bayern and guys like helmer, tarnat, jancker, elber, scholl, etc really caught my attention - that 5-1 thrashing of psg with jancker and his bloody nose really stands out as one of my relatively earlier memories...

anyways - since then ive always supported bayern, but that only stemmed from my support for the german national team