How come China and India didn't qualify for the World Cup?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by hottentotspur redded, Jun 29, 2010.

1. hottentotspur redded

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    How come China and India didn't qualify? Both nations have over 1,000,000,000 people and soccer is the main sport in China and the main sport in about 40% of India (for example Kolkata, Kochin and Goa are soccer cities). With such a gigantic population and soccer being a major sport, you could expect more of those countries, at least World Cup qualification. Povery is no excuse, Ghana is also a poor country. And the popularity of cricket in India is also no excuse. New Zealand's national sport is rugby and they have a population of a few million. I think China and India should be ashamed of themselves.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first round of qualifying in Asia reduced the number of countries from 43 to 24. India lost in aggregate 6-3 to Lebanon in that round. China beat Myanmar 11-0 on aggregate. In Group 1 in the Third Round of qualifying, China finished last in the four team group and was eliminated. The top two in the group advanced to the Fourth Round which had 10 teams.

This topic belongs in FIFA and Tournaments or Asia forum since the countries are not in the World Cup.

3. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Actually Basketball not Soccer (football) is the biggest sport in China by a pretty large margin.

4. hottentotspur redded

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
  5. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
  6. vanessasue

vanessasue New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I am afraid that Chinese people just good at pingpong...

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As Bora pointed out many years, the number of soccer players in China is frighting low.

8. ryan14

ryan14 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    i wish all countries in the world could attend the world cup. there should be no qualifying.

9. eugenelim

eugenelim New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Spain
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    China and India is still working on their qualities to get up there in world cup stage, lets hope the next 4 years we'll see them

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Strange than friggin Bahrain is better than them.

11. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Qualifying is also part of the world cup, for the newcomers the journey to get there is as exciting as the finals itself.

12. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In India, cricket is the number 1 sport. And I don't mean by 60% of so, I mean cricket is the top sport with 90+% liking cricket the most. Soccer is on the up but it is far from being called a truly major sport compared to the likes of the bigger football nations. Cricket has a stranglehold on indian sport. Those cities you described as soccer cities only mean that more people there like soccer, don't kid yourself Cricket is still the bigger sport in these places. Plus their I-League is only just finding its feet and its youth dev isn't very good quite yet. They'll be there and abouts in a few cycles time but they haven't proven themselves in Asia let alone the world stage.

China don't have a great team because the youth development isn't up to scratch. Also their FA is in a bit of scandal stuff. Betting scandals in teh CSL and so on. They dominate other sports and soccer isn't the be-all and end-all of sport in China like in many countries.

And with that last statement you moron, if India's national sport is cricket then good on them they're very very good at it. Saying they should be ashamed at themselves would be like saying its shameful that england are no good at kung fu. I mean they have enough money to do kung fu, i'm sure a lot of people like kung fu movies, they have plenty population to be good kung fu.

With New Zealand being good, I'll be honest with you, they're okay but China would be fair money to beat them on their day.

13. hottentotspur redded

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
  14. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you imagine a first round group consisting of Germany, Bermuda, Papua New Guinea, and Suriname?

Might take quite a while to complete all the games and try to squeeze them all onto the TV schedule too.

Of course as already noted, we already have virtually all the FIFA countries start competition a couple of years in advance with the last remaining 32 making it through to the finals.

15. inter778

inter778 New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Well if my calculations are correct they still have more soccer players than the combined population of Slovenia and Slovakia :D

16. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    i don't want to be rude but that is so stupid.

Put it this way, Urawa Red U19's (J.League club youth team) beat the Guam national team 8-0. The Urawa Red Reserves beat them 19-0.

Okay so now imagine Germany playing Guam. It would be a cricket score.

17. hottentotspur redded

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    It would be a funny World Cup match, Germany 42, Guam 0. :)

18. Pedro Gonzales

Jul 7, 2010
    Bombay
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I'll tell you what. Get us a field large enough to fit all billion of us Indians and all 60 million or so Brazilians and we'll kick their arse. How's that?

Numbers do not by themselves bring out talent, dude, facilities, training and practice do. As someone pointed out in another thread, the Kansas City Wizards (one of the worst teams in the MLS from what i hear) has 4 world class practice fields, the Indian national team has none today. That's not the world's fault, that's ours. The private sector hasn't focused on the sport yet (as in most European, South America, East Asian, and even African countries) because the perception (quickly changing, though) is that there isn't enough money to be made in the sport. They focus on cricket (world ranking #1), hockey (winners of the prestigious Azlan Shah tournament from last month, and certainly ranked in the top 10 in the world and generally in the top 3 in Asia), Formula 1 (an Indian team is 6th of the 12 teams) and tennis (a couple of Indians in the top 10 in mens doubles rankings), chess (current world champion), and badminton (current world # 3 woman) instead. And the other avenue for investment into football, our government, has it's priorities screwed up. For some reason, they think that it is important to focus on such trivialities as trying to deal with poverty, child labor, infanticide, cross border terrorism, social unrest, drought, global warming instead of the more important issues like football. That's where countries like North Korea and many of the Middle Eastern countries score.

And of course China should be ashamed. They only dominate the sports of badminton, table tennis, gymnastics, women's football, and basically the entire Olympic games. Right. Shame on them.

19. hottentotspur redded

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    It isn't impressive to win many olympic games. Most of those sports are sports were almost no one cares about. Winning a FIFA World Cup, now THAT's impressive! It's the main sport in almost 190 of 200 countries.

20. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know you're a troll, but China dominated the last olympics and did farily well in the winter olympics.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Funny how the USA, Russia and China never won the WC.

22. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Team sports like soccer are more of a test of a nation's interest and developmental program in the sport, rather than pure athletics. Individual sports rely much more on individual athleticism (duh), so rich and populous countries like the US and China (and the former USSR) tend to dominate the Olympics.

Sports like soccer are not so much about pure athleticism as they are about teaching a very specific set of team skills and tactics from an early age. I'm sure there are millions of Chinese kids who can juggle a ball 200 times, but they have no idea how to play in a team setting because their country lacks the developmental program of, say, Holland.

Soccer is not an activity that one can get better at by merely increasing one's strength and agility in solitary training. That's kind of what the Olympics are about.

To use a war analogy, China is individually training its soldiers to be expert marksmen. However, they are not training as a unit and therefore, despite being great shooters, they don't know how to function in a battle.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    China will probably be a regular soon. Their football is not that great, but they are improving and are getting at least good enough to contend for a spot from Asia.

India, probably not for some time.

24. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Both are still working to improve the quality of football. Chine, might qualify next time but not india.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    India's best player (I think) sits the bench for the Kansas City Wizards in MLS. In fairness to him, I think Sunil Chhetri is getting used to the style of play.