How close is Cabral to wearing out his welcome?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Jul 16, 2022.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight against COL he muffefd one good opportunity and fell down and was caught by a defender on another because he wouldn't decide to shoot.

I've had enough!

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we should be shipping him off, I'm WAY more irritated with "try the same shot 324 times" Costa.

ProudNatRN, 73Bruin and ragbone repped this.
  3. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of fans have had enough.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's very close.

To be being lapped a second time by "Welcome Wear Out".

okifeelthat repped this.
  5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    And not put that same shot on frame 320 of those 324 times.

ragbone and Berks repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, depending on who you ask, he already has. Cabral's lack of production is a statistical anomaly at this point, even for an average MLS player, let alone a DP. It's hard to overstate how poor he's been in the final 3rd.

He has fewer goals and assist than almost every other LA Galaxy player. Note, I didn't just say attacking player. Only Nick Depuy and Chase Gaspar have produced less than Cabral this season, and of course one is a CB and the other has made like 3 appearances. Every other player, including Williams, Leerdam, Coulibaly, Aguirre, Vasquez (who most think has been poor) have equal or more G+A than Cabral in MLS this season.

But it's not just our team; you'd really have to scour MLS to find a less productive forward. Sebastian Lletget has been more productive than Cabral this season. "Washed-up" Jozy Altidore has 1 goal, in far less minutes. Zardes has 4G 2A. Ema Boateng has 2G and 3A this season! He'd be better to have on the squad than Cabral right now.

ShortyMac, LEM-LAG, ProudNatRN and 5 others repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Close to wearing his welcome out???

8. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watching Depay rip Miami apart, and I can’t help but feel bummed that our FO has made so many terrible roster decisions/has little ambition to win.

He is the ideal DP we need. Secondary striker/CAM. Lots of flair. Can score. Can create.

To add my two cents: I have lost all hope that he’s worthy of the DP tag, and I have lost hope that he can be a serviceable MLS player. Period. He just ain’t it. He’s a waste of one of the most valuable roster spot we have.

ProudNatRN, JPAR, galvanator and 2 others repped this.
  9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What's the impact of his young DP status on the team roster wise?

10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It allows us additional allocation money to sign other young players outside of cap restrictions. It’s what allowed us to sign Jovelic last year and give Alvarez a new contract and substantial raise.

hav77 repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Another stellar decision by out braintrust. :(

ragbone, napper and Dawdler repped this.
  13. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    Dawdler, ragbone, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  14. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From 5 yards he missed by more than the width of the frame.Stunningly incompetent.

Vanney's inablity (or refusal) to understand this has soured my on his suitability to be Galaxy coach.

JPAR, El Futbolisimo and Dawdler repped this.
  15. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at this point its Vanney's pride and ego that are the issue, the fact that he refuses to acknowledge that he blew it as a talent evaluator and he keeps trying to will cabral into being a footballer and its not happening, and add in that they blew millions of dollars on this turd of a footballer must stick in his craw that this is the hill he is willing to die on.

I don't hate Vanney and thought he wood be a good coach for the Galaxy but his stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt to what he has available is a fire-able offense.

he wants his players to adapt but he himself refuses to adapt, you can't have it both ways and be successful

16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Vanney is a good guy but he has massive blinders on when he sees the game. He seems to focus almost exclusively on midfield tactics (not successfully btw) and doesn't seem to notice much about what is going on in the final third on either end. It doesn't bother him to play an entire game with his most prolific scorer on the bench. He never talks about defensive line mistakes or does anything to correct them.

But he is laser focused on midfield. He doesn't want to play two forwards because he is deathly afraid his midfield will then be outnumbered. And I think he pictures Cabral as a very hard working two way player who is helping him shore up the midfield. Now early on Cabral did have a good work rate but that has become very pedestrian, especially as he moves up higher and higher on the field. But as the touch, tackle, interception and block stats of this last game show Kevin didn't really get much done in midfield. Maybe some other games he works harder but he's never been a ball winner. He is too frail and has too many balance issues to physically contest balls in the midfield.

And most importantly - Kevin would have to do a hell of a lot of midfield work to make up for the 10's of goals he's cost us. He has flubbed so many passes (receiving and delivering) and shots... he is a black hole for Galaxy attacks.

He did knock in one goal from one foot while balancing himself with the post this season, so there's that.

Now I'm off on Cabral when I meant to talk about Vanney. Vanney seems smart but he's got to learn to see the big picture. You can't just keep benching your best scorer,, ignoring obvious incompetence in one of your DP's and turning a blind eye to repeated blatant mistakes in the back line, all so you can focus on abstract ideas about theoretical players and "tactical advantages."

Well you can. But then your team looks like the 2022 Galaxy. And I don't wish that on anyone.

JPAR, El Futbolisimo, ragbone and 2 others repped this.
  17. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #17 73Bruin, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    i will try to keep this from being a personal attack on anyone, but this board is turning into a Galaxy version of the USMNT board. We hear constant laments from a ton of posters about how Vanney is an idiot when it comes to line-ups, tactics and substitutions. Lots of comparisons about how bad things are now compared to the glory years of Bruce. How Bruce could coach defensive tactics far better than Vanney. None of these posters to my knowledge has attended a single practice.

Well at this point in the season, the Galaxy are the middling team I believed they would be after last season and not signing an impact DP at CAM. But I also believe that they are doing far better, in some respects than I thought likely.

Vanney (who can't coach defense better than a host of internet posters) has significantly improved the defense over last years (not a high hurdle I admit), but still, they are 7th best in a 28 team league. This has more than offset the slight regression in offense (they are on pace to be down to 48.6 goals versus 50 last year). I believe this offensive drop is largely due to the regression in form of Chicharitio although Cabral and much of the rest of the peanut gallery are also down from 2021.

I will leave it for the reader to decide if Bruce Arena has forgotten how to coach defense. They are on a pace to give up more goals than the Galaxy did in 2021. While he did lose his starting keeper and a great midfielder/wing in Buchanan, he had the rest of the supporters shield defense return for 2022 and eventually got a more than adequate replacement keeper in Petrovic. He also still has the league MVP in Gill to help control the midfield and retain possession.

18. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction, 7th out of 14 teams in the west, 11th out of 28 teams.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    #19 El Futbolisimo, Jul 26, 2022
    Meaning the fans bitching and moaning here have nothing to base their frustration and anger toward this Galaxy team and how it is run and for how long its been run like this? Are we qualified for the World Cup or even say playoffs to be compared to the Nats board? I think you are being a bit unfair.

I don't think anybody thinks Vanney is an idiot. I think he is an average coach that is out of his depth here with a team that needs more than simple coaching but a plan to restructure, focus and help kick-start that process once all or most of the pieces are in place. Something that is not in his wheelhouse and Vanney is partly to blame for his picks in that.

I don't compare Greg with Bruce but the comparisons being made are at that time Bruce with what Vanney is doing now. Not Bruce and Greg now. Bruce has gotten older and the league has grown both acting to limit what the man was once capable of. You know this.

Your "Significantly Improved " is something I hear here and there but how much of that is pure chance from new players and different situations this season with a weaker conference overall? What defensive tactics do you see in general and game to game that are a directly attributable solely to Greg? Something we can say oh yeah, if Vanney had'nt pulled that move the game would have collapsed. It's usually the opposite.

These missing DPs and CAM you speak of is also something Vanney had a hand in. They got rid of teKlose for Vanney to have a say-so in that regard. So who do we blame for that now? Klein alone? Vanney is the guy picking his people which number in the twenties by now. This is his team.

I appreciate you posts and agree with them for the most part. This one not so much.

TrickHog and JPAR repped this.
  20. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's a little harsh ;) The frustration comes from:
    1. Our inability to do anything about it.
    2. Year after Year of the same mistakes despite the coaching changes and the leagues 2nd highest payroll
    3. Multiple home losses where we are down 3-0 at halftime.

Quite simply, what else are we to talk about? The playoffs, player development, our new DP's? They are all a joke.

Everyone has a bad year or three and Bruce Arena is entitled to some (and he just won the Supporters Shield), but New England is correcting it's mistakes, making trades and getting better, I can't say the same about Vanney or the Galaxy.

I wish we could talk about how far we can go in the playoffs, but we have seen this movie before. Forgive my pessimism.

21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You are correct I got it wrong. However, I was attempting to post the defensive standings (Goals Allowed) not the Supporters Shield rankings which you posted. The MLS site doesn't like sorting on GA and keeps resorting into the Supporters Shield rankings.

When I corrected for the number of games played and took the results in terms of GA/GP to 3 decimal places, the Galaxy are 13th with 27 goals allowed in 21 games or 1.286 GA/GP. If you reduce this to 1 decimal place, they are tied for 10th with Nashville, Chicago and Austin

TrickHog repped this.
  22. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm following you now. Looks like we are 9th in GA overall (not correcting for games played).

TrickHog repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah - we aren't delusional yet. Yet....

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #24 skydog, Jul 26, 2022
    The highlighted statement is not true. For the season we have allowed 1.29 goals/game, ranking us 13th out of 28 teams. And it is that good only because of our amazing first 10 games, when we gave up only 0.82 goals per game from Feb through Mar 8. Over the 14 games since May 8th our defense has been a sieve, allowing a massive 1.76 goals per game. For context our GA rate over the last three months is the equivalent of 61 goals allowed in a 34 game season.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #25 skydog, Jul 26, 2022
    When calculating goals allowed it makes no sense to not account for number of games played. Actually no, it's worse -- it is misleading,

TrickHog repped this.