How can a club that has been so bad

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Eliezar, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can a club that has been so bad have been to 5 MLS Cups out of 9 and won 4.

Doesn't it seem like DC has been terrible forever?

I think it is fair to say that DC has been to the final every time they have had a good team and that is just amazing. I think the win yesterday means more than I realized at first. DC was the team of the 90s, but now they are for sure the best team out of MLS's first decade. With San Jose moving into striking distance on titles it was very significant that United once more distance themselves from the field. It is a shame that the most storied and successful MLS club does not have its own stadium, but at least they have had an excellent and unique line of uniforms.

Congratulations to the flagship of MLS and their fans. If MLS makes a first 10 years of MLS type video you guys better all go out and buy one. 8)

2. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Buy one, hell, we Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles and LaNorte will be IN it!!
    :cool:

Mark

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    As Harksey said on the last MLS Wrap, "the ref took away the 98 title."

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I know-hard to figure ain't it??

It's God's team. And also America's team.

For whatever reason DC gets the lucky breaks, and the other team gets the headaches. That's the way it is, and that's the way it will forever be, because God picked DC United.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Apparently, it was the coach, stupid.

;)

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It was Payne coming back in and getting the ship back on course. Something tells me if he hadn't had left for those few years, we would be playing on our own SSS now.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Yes, but that was after being asked to define "sour grapes." ;)

8. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Baring some bizarre turn of events..I think we can leave that banner in the hanger for another season :D

9. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Completely backwards. If there was no evil, what need of God? Therefore, the only rational conclusion is that DC United is evil, and the Good Lord shall marshall his forces to cast it down once again...beginning in 2005.

10. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe the calls going your way is luck of the Nowak or something. DC had its share of breaks yesterday. Not that KC ever played like they deserved to win, but I can't say they played like they deserved to win in 2000 either.

One thing I'm asking myself is if it was Bob Bradley or Nowak that coached the Fire to the 98 championship.

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

In light of what Bradley has done with the metro, I've been wondering that too.

12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four Words: Kevin Payne, Peter Nowak.

Have to admit that we did get pretty darn lucky on the uniforms. Need to get rid of the shoulder stripes and bring back the horizonal pants stripes, however. A return to red pants on the away kit might be interesting as well.

But, as insufferable as we DCU fans are, it's about more than just D.C. United. Hopefully, the 2004 MLS Cup, the unbelieveable DCU-Revs playoff game and the other outstanding playoff games have stirred some interest nationwide in the league.

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Might've thought that after 1999 as well.

;)

14. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    DC has been blessed with good front office staff that have made the right moves on and off the field... it was only a matter of time B-4 DCU got back on their winning ways....

It Seems that DCU have a wonderful way of doing things with their fans with their players and office staff.... that combination will bring positive things on and off the field... and with that in mind the whole MLB at RFK i'm really sure that DCU will find a way to make that pitch dirt free when they have to play at RFK.. its only natural that a first class team continue to provide first class things towars their fans and team... unlike the circus in NJ.....

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I sure hope so, but I have a feeling it's already existing fans who are watching those events.

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I pick up both of my daughters from school on numerous occassions, the number of DC United jerseys that I have seen this year has increased dramatically over previous years. There were a lot of kids with Adu jerseys.

Girls on the soccer teams I coach talked about Adu often.

I hope the excitement continues next year.

17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche -- Point well taken. Guess that I really was feeling a bit giddy yesterday. But, I am seeing signs of an advancing soccer culture here in the D.C. suburbs and when I visit back in the Midwest. Have no idea if it's going to translate into more fannies in stadium seats or sell more team paraphernalia.

Last summer, during a visit back to see the folks, I drove up to Muncie, Indiana, to watch my cousin's kid play in an all weekend soccer tournament. Now that was a Saturday & Sunday tournament, all "club" and "travel" teams from Central Indiana, ages U-18 down to U-9, boys and girls. There were 12 fields, all filled with continuously ongoing games from Saturday and Sunday morning and afternoon. And, that's Muncie for pete's sake. By contrast, the Indiana basketball culture is fading.

Well, who knows what that means. Anyhow, let me simply say that it feels real good to come into the office today, flip on the computer and see the D.C. United 2004 MLS Champs wallpaper fill the screen. Wahoo!

18. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Three Stripes!!!! Four Stars Baby!!!! ****

19. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    You know the funny thing is that that '98 squad was our best. At least from my memory. Saw them Stomp San Jose in San Jose (Cali United fan here, attended their first game, the 1-0 loss to Wynalda :D ) in June of '98 like 5-0, and they were just cruising that year, and then I don't know if Bruce was distracted because he'd recently landed the National Team gig or what, but it just was a huge disappointment how things went that day. Does anyone remember how and why we lost? I've had a mental block on the game ever since I watched it, lol, and '99 and the ensuing horror of the Rongen/Hudson era insured that I forgot.

Anyway, 5 title game appearances, 4 titles, nothing wrong with that at all, it's just a shame we don't have the draft picks to address what might be need for youth in addition to the foreign allottments we'll get for Stewart and Nelson (if he leaves), I'd really like this team to add some young talent to develop around Freddy but we just don't have the pics this year. Hopefully we'll pull off another Gros, what a find he was!! And to think, in june I was b!tching nonstop about how we missed out on Gaven and others while drafting Stokes and Carroll, not it looks like the '03 draft wasn't too bad afterall, well, except for Stokes anyway.

20. eurojack

eurojack Member

Jun 29, 2001
    The 98 team was their best team. They won the CONCACAF championship that year and then beat Vasco de Gama in the InterAmerican Cup to become champions of North, Central, and South American Club Champions ("Champions of the Hemisphere," if you will).

As I recall, they didn't have a whole lot of rest going into that final match in 98. It seems like they had to play a playoff match 4 days prior to the final, or something like that.

Can anybody back me up on this one?

21. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thats how i remember it. We had a really tough playoff series (Crew?) that gave us less rest before flying out to LA while the Fire were rested and ready.

Play that final 10 times and that team would have won 8-9 of them. They were just scary good. I like to go back and watch my Vasco tape more then any other old DC game I have.

22. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Jealous as hell that you saw that game. I've only seen the DC United games ESPN2 has seen fit to televise and Fox Sports NET and KICU saw fit to televise of DC-San Jose matches. Not easy being a DC fan born and raised in enemy territory :D.