How big will the Gold Cup be this year?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by CACuzcatlan, Jan 5, 2011.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euro 2008 had some good ratings. Confederations Cup really got going as the US got to the knockout stages and viewing for the final was huge (at least here in San Francisco). The World Cup had record levels of viewers. Now comes the Gold Cup. Unlike the 2009 Gold Cup, this one really counts since the winner gets a trip to the Confederations Cup. I'm hoping all the soccer excitement for the soccer in general and the national team in particular, carries over to the Gold Cup, but I fear the fact that the tournament will be broadcast on FSC will limit viewership.

What are your thoughts on how big the Gold Cup will be?

Anyone think a US-Mexico final would generate enough excitement to move the game to regular FOX or at least Fox Sports?

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    "Big" and "Gold Cup" are not words commonly seen in the same sentence.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd be surprised if this happens. There are only 3 days between the semifinals and the final. If the final is going to be on Fox that announcement would be made in advance of knowing who will be in the final. Fox Sports is even more unlikely since many Fox Sports affiliates carry Major League baseball teams.

4. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the only possible way for the Gold Cup to be "big." And still, it will be because of the Mexican support.

But I do believe it will be one of the biggest, most watched, Gold Cups to date, just not record-setting for soccer in the USA.

5. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we'll see much more American support in the stands, coming off such an emotional World Cup for alot of us. *keeping fingers crossed for this one*

It'll be a nice tournament, but I think the only way it's big in terms of importance is because if we win we get the berth for the Confederations Cup.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a big deal to me, because it's important to me that we continue to prove we are the class of the region. My soccer buddies will probably pay attention only to the semis and the finals. I'll watch each game.

I think the benchmark should be, do we get the same amount of viewers for those matches as we would for a WCQ match.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm also interested to see how big the Gold Cup draw is. Witnessed by a handful of people "behind closed doors" or something public/legit?

8. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see FOX broadcast every USA match. I think they would be surprised at the number of people they would find watching the matches.

9. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change it to every four years and rotate hosting duties. merge central america and let them have a crack at hosting do the same with the Carribean islands so then we have Five host rotation. US,MEX,CAN,CA, and CRB.

maybe that will finally push some of the regions to upgrade their piss poor stadiums .

Panama and Costa Rica have great new National Stadiums

10. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think Jack Warner wants it in the US so CONCACAF can make the max profits from ticket sales. I would also like to see it every four years. Having it every two cheapens it, IMO, and I don't really care that much about the one that happens the same year as the Confederations Cup.

11. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason I liked it every two years was because there was more opportunities for me to see the USMNT at home. But the one before the World Cup is pointless.

12. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    Would be great if FOX would put the final (no matter who it is) on their broadcast network.

I don't think the Gold Cup is ever going to get the exposure we want it to until its on ESPN. Not everyone has FSC and FSC is horrendous at promotion.

13. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    it's possible i guess

FOX did broadcast the champions league final last year but only got a 1.1 rating. Part of that was likely the matchup of Bayern Munich vs Inter Milan.

If they are willing to experiment with the champions league on regular tv why not USNT gold cup matches? They would do much better than a 1.1

14. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the Final should be on FOX. The last two finals have been USA/Mexico, and I really don't see this year to be any different. Even so, if either side makes the Final, the ratings will be high. It just makes sense.

15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest e-mailing FOX Sports and let them know you want the US games and/or the final on FOX. Or at least FX. The more people get ahold of them the better the chances are they will show it. I doubt they spend much time on bigsoccer lol

http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback

16. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    If the USA or Mexico made the finals of the Gold Cup it would EASILY beat the ratings for the UCL Final. If it were the USA vs. Mexico it would DESTROY the UEFA ratings. The '07 final even eclipsed Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals that year, which was prime time on NBC.

17. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN would do a much better broadcasting job. But they ignore alot of soccer matches.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Univision broadcast the Gold Cup?

If it's Mexico v USA, how many Mexican fans would choose FOX over Univision? Not many I'd think. So that limits your viewing audience right there.

19. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad they don't have the rights to it! Maybe they can get the 2013 Gold Cup.

20. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    the same as always, Mexico and El Salvador would bring most of the fans, the usa would do ok I hope.

21. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    who knows. But they'd still get a better rating than 1.1

22. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the biennial Gold Cup is still useful. The difficulty in being in our region is the lack of meaningful tournaments. UEFA has the World Cup and UEFA every two years.

If we held the Gold Cup every four years, we would potentially go three years without a significant tournament. This way, we can participate in one almost every year. (World Cup 2010, Gold Cup 2011, Gold Cup 2013, Confed Cup 2013, World Cup 2014).

For us, it's all about how we use the Gold Cup at different points in our World Cup cycle. This year's Gold Cup is extremely important, since qualification for the 2013 Confederations Cup is on the line, the best tournament we can qualify for besides the World Cup. Making Confed Cups is important for American soccer every cycle.

In 2009, Bob Bradley used the Gold Cup to good effect. No Confed Cup berth was on the line, so he used a squad almost entirely based of MLS players, similar to what he brings to Camp Cupcake in January. It was an entirely developmental tournament, and they did quite well, reaching the final before getting shellacked by Mexico 5-0.

Mexico also did something interesting that Gold Cup. Mexico had been struggling in WC qualifying, almost not even making the final hexagonal round, and they brought their A-team and used that Gold Cup to fine tune it, and all of a sudden, they were clicking again and on their way to 2nd place in CONCACAF and a WC berth.

We should expect to see our A-team in the 2011 Gold Cup. Look for a roster made up mostly of 2010 World Cup players with a few changes for injuries/fitness/up-and-comers.

23. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    I'm still pissed at Bradley for the team he brought in 09. It's our confederations championship and should always be taken seriously. If it's not going to be then it should only be every four years.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley can control how seriously (nor not seriously) he takes the Gold Cup in a year before the World Cup, but if CONCACAF holds the Gold Cup every two years regardless of how much USA cares about half of them then there's nothing Bradley can do about that.

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    we are playing the central american tournament right now, which will "qualify" central american nations to the gold cup.

here are the results of the first games.

1. El Salvador 2 Nicaragua 0
    2. Costa Rica 1 Honduras 1
    3. Panama 2 Belize 0

Guatemala didnt play since they are in the same group with Costa Rica and Honduras.

Im happy to see El Salvador winning, because if we dont make it to the Gold Cup, less fans would be at the games ;)