How are you associated / certified?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by kevbrunton, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    USSF only at this point. Tried NFHS for a season and didn't like it at all. Wouldn't mind doing NISOA, but I'm not sure how to get into that association, and I can't say I have a super amount of free time on my hands. USSF will always be my first choice.

2. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Its a statewide, not just Indy, problem. At the risk of sounding "uppity", the overwhelming majority of NFHS refs are absolutely awful...a travesty, and an injustice to the game. You can spot them a mile away before they even step foot on the pitch. And yes, they also ref basketball, football, volleyball, badminton, hopscotch, tiddleywinks, etc....

Now maybe state high school associations could get away with this years ago, but not now. The kids, and programs, have simply gotten too good.

I reffed THREE state ranked teams last year, including the eventual big school state champ. That team had THREE kids who played for the Chicago Fire Developmental academy team, one from the Chicago Fire Jrs., and a couple from the Chicago Magic. NO WAY is a multi purpose, jack of all trades-NFHS only hs ref able to cope with a side like this. Or several of the other sides I saw.

On the other hand, a USSF ref sees teams like this (and MUCH better) all the time. Heck, I had reffed all these kids in youth regionals and MRL games the previous spring. And I've also done Mens Amateur games as well. HS is a piece of cake, relatively speaking.

3. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I would say SOME USSF ref's see these level of teams. You're probably right that the people that do both are doing higher level matches because of their dedication to refereeing, but there are plenty of USSF grade 8's out there that simply referee rec and low level premier games that may not see these quality of players. Of course a good assignor would put these folks on the lower level HS matches, since as with USSF teams, there is a vast range of skill levels out there.

4. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Fire squad you speak of, none of their back 4 is shorter than 6'1" and they have a kid that can throw the ball more than 50 yards (saw it during a friendly this Spring). If I'm an assignor I might do those matches myself rather than throw a NFHS-only ref in the mix.

Sadly some (not all) assignors don't really know the refs they're assigning, they're just putting names in slots. The lack of structured mentoring for these refs just makes it worse, the kids deserve better - 'cause that's who all this is for, even at the high school level.

Around here I've seen an increase in USSF refs who've gotten their HS license (not to sidetrack further, but the online HS test is a JOKE :rolleyes:) so I'm working with more familiar faces each Fall. But the NFHS-only refs can be spotted a mile away.

I realize I'm generalizing, I have run into a few of these who were good refs that I encouraged to get their USSF certifications, but only a few so far.

5. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Well, I was speaking about the Indiana HS team, not the Fire Academy side. There are three kids on that Indiana HS team on the Fire Academy (two U18, one U16) but none is a defender. Their CB played for the Fire Jrs. (not Academy) U18.

In any event, the point was (whether its the Jrs. or the Academy side) that kids at THAT level are simply too much for a NFHS only jack of all trades to deal with. Heck, they're too much even for NFHS refs who work ONLY hs games yet no other sports. A high school only ref simply hasn't seen that type of ability or speed of play on a consistent enough basis to be ready for it.

Nonetheless, in my area, there is a NFHS only "crew" that gets many of the top games, for no apparent reason other than they want to. I never see any of the three at any of the USSF clinics, or at regionals, or college games, or any USSF youth leagues, and certainly not at any mens amateur games....yet, they get to pick the top hs games in the area. In terms of ability, at least two of the three would be no higher than a USSF 8. But then again, this is the state high school association that decided, in its infinite wisdom a few years back, an up and coming ref from the area was not qualified enough to go "downstate". That young ref now works in the MLS and holds a FIFA AR badge....LOL!!!!!

Of course, it doesn't help that we also have a local assignor who espouses the "spread the wealth" theory....in other words, your $$$ need first, THEN ability. Which leads to some God awful and preposterous assignments...like last years conference/league final involving the state champ and host school which yielded a 3 man crew ALL from the town the host school is situated in. Needless to say, the state champs coach was NOT too pleased....with good reason. Apart from the obvious conflict of interest, this also was only the CR's second year doing hs games, and he didn't have a USSF badge either.

6. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. Sounds like what we had in the Carmel/Westfield/Zionsville sectional last season: a wrestling ref, 2 basketball refs and a football official among them, nice guys but WAY out of their element for one of the toughest sectionals in the state. At the same time a ref I have a great amount of respect for was assigned to...the Bedford Sectional. Nothing against Bedford but that's a 2 hour drive each way, for 2 games one day, 1 game second day. In October, when there are USSF tournaments galore around here (big reason why I don't apply for postseason HS games)

We're very lucky, we have some good assignors that make sure the top local matches (Carmel/Zionsville, Cathedral vs. anybody, for example) are covered by good officials most of the time. It's in the postseason that all hell breaks loose.

7. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Well, I don't apply for the hs postseason with good reason...I don't need to (don't mean to sound flippant or arrogant, but it is what it is). I have PLENTY of USSF games in the neighboring state, I don't need the money and I don't want to deal with the "politicking" involved trying to get picked over officials I'm clearly better and more experienced than. As a local USSF state ref and NISOA official who I greatly respect recently told me "Why would I throw my hat in that mix to prove myself to people I'm clearly better than?" And he has a valid point.

Nor do I want to deal with the cold and weather conditions in late October and early November. I'd rather sit in the stands with my buddies and bs.

As for the local assignor, he once told me at a USSF match to "stop the clock". When I informed him you can't "stop the clock" in USSF matches, he insisted I had no clue what I was talking about. Of course, this is also a guy who never played the game (at ANY level) either....and who sees fit to assign games to his multiple family memebers over other more qualified refs.

As for the schools unique mentioned, yes, they ARE quality sides that would necessitate quality officials.

8. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

Mar 22, 2011
    One of the things about NFHS I enjoy is the post-season. There is a LOT of energy in the stadium from all the fans supporting their school. Makes putting up with any political bs worthwhile. You don't see that many fans in USSF. At most a handful of parents, especially at the older age levels.

I don't referee NISOA.

9. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I don't do many USSF youth games, primarily adult amateur. And the level of competition (which is what its all about for me) FAR exceeds anything I will encounter in HS, even at the highest levels of scholastic play. But if you're looking for "atmosphere", try a top level mens amateur game someday in a totally uncontrolled environment.

Personally, I find it somewhat offensive to have to put up with the political bs that goes on in NFHS, so I'm not going to put myself in a position where I'll be subjected to it. IMO, their loss, not mine.

10. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I've sworn off adult amateur. Not worth the trouble or money, and I can't say I'm THAT impressed with the skill level. Obviously it depends on the age more than anything (both youth and mens leagues).

11. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Depends on the league.

There are plenty of crap amateur leagues.

I'm lucky to have two of the best amateur men's leagues in the country right in my own backyard. Filled with ex pros and major college players. The quality is probably somewhere between PDL and A League (at least amongst the better teams), if I had to venture a guess. Certainly much higher than any of the youth leagues I've worked. From a game/man management perspective, I don't think there's anything more difficult short of the MLS...something that's been verified by several MLS officials.

There are some very good youth teams and leagues out there, but overall, nowehere near as difficult as a Major Division Men's Open match, IMO. Granted, some of the lower divisions are pretty mediocre, but Major Division matches are a class apart.