How are people doing with their plans?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by shaunsindelman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am just curious to how other people are doing in terms of making plans to fly to SA as well as where they are staying.

A lot more flights should open up at the end of the week with it being approximately 330 days until the start of the tournament.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not great so far.

I'm having trouble finding reasonable flights. Best so far is around £750, but that's neither flying to my first destination, or coming back from my last one, so I'd be looking at two extra internal flights on top of that.

I'm not even going to look at hotels etc unless I can get a decent flight with a decent airline.

3. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    750 GBP... so thats roughly 1200 USD. Not a bad deal if you ask me seeing as most of the flights I've seen out of New York into Johannesburg have one stop and are like 1900 USD.

As for accommodations, I've looked around and cheapest I could find was 90USD per night.

4. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is certainly not easy and cannot be done on a budget. I think numbers are going to be well down and all this talk of 40,000 English there will be total rubbish. There were 8,000 in Japan and would not expect much more than that. South African Airways are having the biggest laugh at present offerring London to Cape Town at £1,700 return! Internal flights will be essential and hence my thread on TSTs. Even Thomas Cook who are mentioned many times as usuable Tour Operator are struggling to help in any way.

Do they really have to make it so challenging for everyone?

5. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys wanna hear amazing? I live on the small island of St. Croix in the Caribbean. So small that our airport only flies to 3 cites, San Juan, PR a few times a day and once a day to Atlanta and Miami. Delta has the flight from St. Croix to Atlanta. From there they have a direct flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg!!!! What are the odds for 1 stop?!?! I love Delta... about $1700 for the ticket but it is totally worth it... I am going to the World Cup!

6. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When are you flying that you were able to see an itinerary? I just went and the latest return date I could choose was June 13 2010 (and I'm there til the 21st).

7. yessam1277

yessam1277 Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Haiti
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have yet to book anything yet other than my match tickets.

For accomodation, last month match ag sent me an email telling me that they'll begin their sales July 16th.

As far as flight, I am also waiting for the 330 days window which for me is going to be mid august, since I am planning to leave SA July 12th.
    I have about 250K miles with Aadvantage and 500K points in my American Express which I can transfer to Virgin Atlantic.
    I am hoping to get a first class ticket from Miami - LHR - JNB using my miles for an award ticket.

shaunsindelman, what site have you been using to find the $90 a night for accomodation.

8. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I believe it was booking.com - I am attending matches only at Soccer City so I was hoping to find a place to stay nearby - not much luck.

Which brings me to another question -- how are people planning to get to and from their lodging and the stadiums?

9. Nailsea Hammer

Nailsea Hammer New Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    A few questions....

Has anyone actually booked a flight with SAA? And if so, how did you go about it?

And does anyone know when BA will make flights available?

Thanks

10. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Better question for those of you who booked on SAA - WHEN did u book and how much did u spend?

As for British Airways... not a clue. Just tried on their website (which I'm sure you did too) and got nothing.

My searches have come up with these results (mind you I am looking from NYC to Johannesburg, June 11 (so I can fly at night and arrive on June 13) to June 21):

EgyptAir - 1983 r/t
    AirFrance - 2530 r/t
    Lufthansa - 2932 r/t
    Ethiad - 3560 r/t
    VirginAtlantic - 2036 r/t

11. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For SAA you click on www.flysaa.com and when you have finish pissing yourself laughing at their prices you can start getting annoyed as seemingly no one else goes to Cape Town and some of the other suggestions of going via Dubai are too ridiculous to be true. I think BA are hedging their bets by not releasing any flights yet.

So far I have spent days trying to work out how to get to SA and where to stay and not finding it a very fruitful experience and my plans are pretty simple.

12. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am banking that more options will open in a few days when you can actually choose a flight that allows you to book.

I've looked on Kayak.com and a few of their affiliate sites (Airfare.com, Vayama.com) and actually got some decent prices -- just a matter of waiting for my dates to be chooseable.

13. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard about renting a (secured) condo in SA?

14. bravo340

bravo340 Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just checked on Expedia for a one-way flight from Las Vegas to Cape Town on June 12, 2010. The cheapest flight was $1620 USD.

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Flying into Cape Town appears to be hideously expensive.

Flying to Johannesburg does appear to offer some cheaper options, if not exactly on "A list" airlines, but the problem is not knowing if getting an internal flight from there to Cape Town will be possible. There are internal flights, but many don't seem to be on sale yet.

Buses are an option, but you can't buy them yet either.

It's very hard to plan without knowing how long it'll take to get from one city to the next, and I don't mean in hours, but in days.

Maybe, just maybe, some airlines will realise the demand for flights doesn't justify the £2000 prices some are charging, unless there are people out there paying those prices.

16. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh I just went to how much it would cost me this year to do it. I am more excited that I can get to SA in one stop. I know the flights will exist.

17. bravo340

bravo340 Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry, that quote was for Johannessburg.

Las Vegas - Johanessburg $1620 USD.
    Las Vegas - Cape Town $2783 USD.

These are for one-way flights on June 13.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    for accomodations i found a hotel in cape town right near the stadium at a good price too. i would suggest getting a copy of fodor's and emailing every hotel to see which ones will have availability / good rates. keep in mind that many hotels require the booking to be done through a booking agent which i found to be the case more so in Joburg

for joburg i was able to book a place in the northern suburbs which is probably the place to be from what i've read. for me - safety and security is a big deal, especially in joburg which i've read is quite a dangerous area.

go to this website http://www.sa-venues.com/ and send an inquiry email about your travel plans and someone will help you. that's what i did and was able to get a nice hotel in a safe place. and they are also keeping a lookout for flights as well.

anyone travelling to south africa from south florida? i plan on leaving june 9 2010

the best you will be able to find on kayak.com are one way flights from the United States to Cape Town in the $2k range and up around june 9, 2010. i haven't seen any return flights yet (for me June 21). i also have seen a few domesitic flights within south africa but i am pretty sure the selection will increase during the next month...

message me if you have come across better flight itineraries. i think by mid to late august we will have a keen sense on flights. right now is still too early...

19. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I've also got acomodation sorted. Nice appartment for the week. That was the easy part - although I'm embararrased (on behalf of FIFA and South Africa) to report that most appartments were charging extortinate rates - double, triple or more than typical peak rates.

Flights is a different matter. Just seen that KLM have upped from £700-£900 return out of World Cup to £1600-£2400 return in World Cup. To sum it up, all foreign supporters are being held to ransom by these thieving ******** airline carriers.

As soon as I see anything good for £1K I'm taking it.

20. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Good grief... Emirates is showing at £1400 too. I'm sure their and KLM prices have gone up.

Book a seat on Virgin Atlantic quick if your return date fits!

21. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Just to add the KLM and Emirates prices are to Cape Town. VA only go to Johann, which appears to be much cheaper to get to.

22. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Only 2-3 more days and I can possibly book with Virgin (return date is June 21). Other airlines, it's gonna take another week or so to be able to choose the 21st as a possible return date.

23. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How are you getting to and from the stadium in Joburg? And which stadium(s) in JB are ur games at?

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    to and from the games? i guess i would be taking a cab or arrange something through the hotel. i am going to soccer city - the main stadium. we'll probably take a cab to a certain point where we would have to walk the rest.

i have games in joburg june 14 and 17 both at soccer city. and i believe we have some tickets for other games that we will not be able to attend but will try to sell.

25. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh - can you send me the name of the place you're staying at in Jo'Burg? Maybe we can create a group to travel to and from Soccer City since me, my wife, and our 2 friends are going to the games there on the 14th, 17th, and 20th.