How are MLS academy teams faring in the USSF?

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by truthandlife, Nov 22, 2009.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Since all of the MLS youth academy teams are now competing in the USSF Academy, how are these teams faring competitively as well as they way they look.

The reason I ask is that I watched the KC Wizards and the TSC/DTH Texans today in Houston and was not impressed with the KC Wizards. It looks like they recruited a bunch of big physical guys with no great skill. The U15/16 game went 1 - 1 and I said the only way KC would score would be on a dead ball. They did. They were a bunch of big physical guys who were not impressive individually but organized as a team very well. The second game the U17/18 Texans outclassed KC 2 - 0 and KC were a bunch of big physical guys who looked more like rugby players than soccer players. Is this the kind of player we are trying to create to send to the senior team? I hope not.

2. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about KC, but others have done well in the USSF academy. Columbus Crew, FC Dallas, NY RedBulls, and DC United have all done pretty well. I believe past statistics are on ussoccer.com.

3. bobbydigital

bobbydigital Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two words: bryan leyva.

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If this is how MLS acadamy teams are measuring success then the the system is a failure already.

5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
  6. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Doesn't that average out to 2 per MLS academy team? I wouldn't call that a ton.

Besides, I think we are still too early to tell how the academy teams are faring. Now, you can certainly look at the standings but, for the most part, the teams are just a bunch of recruited kids, rather than a group of kids that they clubs have developed over a number of years.

7. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    MLS Academies are faring as expected. They are sucking the area talents from the other club teams. Seems like clubs are investing some money into the youth program as both marketing and future development. (Except San Jose). Chicago Fire Academy just decimated the chicago magic academy teams. Galaxy pilfered 4 to 5 Arsenal FC USA players.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's early. Last year I know DC United and the Columbus Crew sent over half a dozen guys each to major programs.

I agree it's early yet. You'll have to look at what former academy players are doing 5 years later to truly know.

9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    First the "pilfered" comments make no sense. Teams like New England, Galaxy, Chivas etc. just started so all those players are going to have to come from somewhere. Also it is not like it is anything new for clubs at the top of the food chain to get good players from other clubs. Arsenal took over an entire Necaxa team and gets kids from clubs like Celtic; LAFC takes mostly kids from outside their program and took the entire Strikers team that the Strikers took from somewhere else. Real SoCal took Valley United teams. When the Academy started Pats took Strikers U16 for their own and a couple years later took Monarcas. The list goes on and on.

Second it is hard to believe teams are faring as "expected." For example the Rapads teams have consistently been among the worst in the program. Chivas U18 team is 1-8-1 so far. Both are now in their third year of the program and I would have expected them to get stronger not weaker. Depending on the travel required for their division, I wouldn't be surprised if MLS teams are spending close to $10K per player. Given that spending I am surprised how teams like the Rapids are struggling so much.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's kind of the point. You want the best kids filtering to the top........and hopefully "the top" will very soon be the MLS academies (where kids have an opportunity to get "signed" to the MLS first-team).

11. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    I was just stating a fact not much of a commentary but my personal thought on this is MLS clubs' academy program runs the gamut. I fully expect the clubs to identify talent and offer slots to area talents. The player gets club fee free training in a professional environment(supposedly). It's a no-brainer. Like I said it's wide spectrum of good and bad. Red Bull gets player in the U14 range and actually have them in their system for 3 years. LA Galaxy added some YNT players but Chicago Fire U18 is BS. adding 13 HS seniors from Chicago Magic into their U18 team is about winning not identifying possible pro talent or development.

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The Chicago Fire Academy is popular, not BS. The coaches stress soccer, not winning. You obviously have a personal beef with the system in some way.

13. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    obviously. good counterpoint!

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, there's a third possiblity between "winning" and "development," which is "scouting." Essentially trying to increase the possibility that they'll pick up some guys without having had to draft them a year or two from now.

But picking up a bunch of 17/18 year old HS seniors obviously wouldn't be "development" in the sense that the program was designed for, if that's what they really did. Even still, it's better that they be concentrated as much into one program as they can be, as that last year before college is often one of the biggest wastes of time in the classic youth structure.

15. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hit it right on the head. There are a few players the Fire want for future use. When those players defected, the rest came with. Of course, theyt won't mind winning the Academy Finals next summer.

16. ZACicker

ZACicker Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I counted nine on that link of college commits for Columbus.

17. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could really care less either way, but having the best 17/18 year olds in the area defect to your club can only help recruit younger talent.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bowling Green signed the Columbus Crew academy!

19. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    SMU's recruiting class looks REALLY strong

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I didn't realize Ruben Luna had committed to them.

You'd think that SMU could really recruit some good players in that area. The other big schools in the Dallas/Fort Worth area don't have men's soccer do they? I know TCU doesn't. I don't think North Texas does. I also believe that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. don't. But they all have women's soccer of course..........Title IX strikes again?

21. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    SMU and possibly Rice are the only D1 programs in Texas. The other kid in their recruiting class that I've seen is AJ Corrado from Carmel United and he was the best player on the field in the game between the FCD Juniors and them last weekend.

22. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Rice doesn't have a D1 men's soccer program. The only D1 soccer programs are SMU and HBU in Houston.

23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Kind of off-topic but you wonder just how many more 5k+ crowds it's going to take for the Big 12 to go D1 for mens. Pretty ridiculous that it's not with all the talent in the south.

24. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Robert Derschang may be their best get. He's got wicked left foot (1:46 mark)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaFvQ3o7io"]YouTube- June 26, 2009: Top 10 DA Goals - Day 1[/ame]

SMU snagged 2 more from Chicago Fire(formerly Magic)

Zach Barnes MF Flower Mound, Texas Marcus Dallas Texans Academy
    A.J. Corrado MF Zionsville, Ind. Zionsville Carmel United Academy
    Robert Derschang MF Englewood, Colo. Cherry Creek Real Colorado
    Tyler Engel Ill. Chicago Fire Academy
    Ruben Luna F Garland, Texas North Mesquite FC Dallas
    Max Rockwell MF New Port Richey, Fla. Mitchell Clearwater Chargers
    Cal Roselieb Ill. Chicago Fire Juniors
    Dylan Schauder D Houston, Texas Clear Lake Texas Rush Academy

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly. You also have to go through a lot of players to get to the very few that stick. For instance, a look at this roster indicates on how hard it is to project youth players to future professional careers. A couple are on the fringes of the national team, a few more are viable MLS players, the balance are either out of the sport or are fringe players at best.

FIFA U-17 World Cup 2003 Finland - United States:
    1 GK Phil Marfuggi 15 January 1986 (aged 17)
    2 DF Kyle Helton 20 May 1986 (aged 17)
    3 DF Jonathan Spector 1 March 1986 (aged 17)
    4 MF Eddie Gaven 25 October 1986 (aged 16)
    5 DF Dwight Owens 23 January 1986 (aged 17)
    6 DF Chris Germani 10 July 1986 (aged 17)
    7 MF Brian Grazier 17 March 1986 (aged 17)
    8 MF John DiRaimondo 23 April 1986 (aged 17)
    9 FW Michael Harrington 24 January 1986 (aged 17)
    10 MF Guillermo González 4 January 1986 (aged 17)
    11 MF Freddy Adu 2 June 1989 (aged 14)
    12 DF Steven Curfman 8 October 1986 (aged 16)
    13 FW Jamie Watson 10 April 1986 (aged 17)
    14 DF Julian Valentin 23 February 1987 (aged 16)
    15 MF Corey Ashe (c) 14 March 1986 (aged 17)
    16 DF Adrian Chevannes 17 June 1986 (aged 17)
    17 MF Danny Szetela 17 June 1987 (aged 16)
    18 GK Quentin Westberg 25 April 1986 (aged 17)
    19 FW Jacob Peterson 27 January 1986 (aged 17)
    20 GK Stephen Sandbo 23 February 1987 (aged 16)