How are Cristiano Ronaldo and Helder Postiga doing in the EPL?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ferreirajl, Sep 23, 2003.

1. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Hi there,

I don't have a chance to follow a lot of games from Man Utd or Tottenham, so I would apreciate if some supporters of these clubs could tell me what they think of these kids.
    Both of them left their clubs (Sporting and FCPorto)for a lot of money, and were seen as future stars for the portuguese NT.
    So: Have they been playing for their new clubs? And if so, what do you think of them?

2. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    Everyone in England has been impressed with Christiano Ronaldo since his move in the summer. Manchester United fans are raving about him. He came on for the last half hour in his debut and was amazing, running at players, doing tricks, putting in great final balls. He has made a few starts since then, his first came against Wolves (by far the worst team in the league) and although he played well, he tried to do too much. He was taking it around one too many players every time, and didnt know when to release the ball. But that will all come with experience. He is still one of the most exciting players in the premiership although he does need a bit of time to develope and mature, and certainly to learn when to release the ball. Overall, he has been brilliant though, and with Solsjkear's new injury problems im sure he will be in the starting line up for some time to come.
    I havent seen many Spurs games, but tottenham have struggled this season and just lost their manager. No one is really performing for them at the momment, (with the exception of Kanoute), and I think that Postiga is gonna need more time to settle. We hear rave reviews about him before he came, and he looks very technically gifted on the pitch, but hasnt been prolific yet. I think he will show his true colours when he gets better service as the teams starts to improve, and when he settles in a bit more. Both are welcome additions to the premiership!!

3. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Postiga..In his first game...he missed 4 chances(as usual) I just know that much!

And Ronald..like what Mr. Hog said

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Err! Perhaps you mean the manure fans. He certainly captured their hearts the first time he went down in the penalty area. They were a little pizzed because the ref saw it and didn't give the PK.

Tricky little bugger though. And trying to outdo Becks in the hair department.
    [​IMG]

5. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Yes that sounds like Postiga... he also missed some easy shots for Porto as well. Of course it is much worst when your team desperatly needs the goals, wich wasn't much the case here playing for Porto, as some one else could score if he didn't.
    But he's got class no doubt about that. I still can't get over the goal he put on Lazio... got the ball with his back turned on goal... turned arround, passed the defender.... and BAAaaanG! Just from outside the area! 4-1 Porto what an amazing goal! For the NT he also scored 2 good goals against Bolivia in a friendly, and I could tell you about a lot other goals in the league.
    The thing with him is a matter of time, confidence and pressure (not only on him but on the team).
    When (or if) all comes together for him he can set him self up and finish in style.
    Just one thing he's not too good though is with his head. Not a good header. I hope he can learn there how to head a ball right... then Portugal would have 2 world class strikers (him and Pauleta)

6. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    does he make it into your the Portugal starting line up?

7. GiggsNewWzrdOfHgwrts

May 9, 2003
    Chicago
    Seen one game

Ronaldo did not impress in the recent Man Utd vs. Arsenal derby. This is the only game witnessed so a judgment here may be rash but it was obvious he did not play like a winner! Just like Veron he had good skill but not the Man Utd flow, selflessness and determination. I am not making a final judgment, just an observation and cheer him on w/my team.
    Don't know about the other guy.

8. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Postiga?... Right now, with Scolari going with only one striker he will be blocked by Pauleta who is a more matured player. But very often during the friendlies we have been playing, when we need more power up front Postiga get's in as a sub. If we play some weaker team though he might be in the starting 11. Anyway he just made life for Nuno Gomes a lot harder on the NT.

Ronaldo... he will have a bit more trouble getting in the starting 11 because our midfield is our strongest sector. Rui Costa is still our maestro... then there's Figo... Deco... Quaresma... but he's only 18 so he will get there.

9. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    Re: Seen one game

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't seen much of Postiga.

Ronaldo looks good but is trying to do too much going forward and he doesn't seem to like tackling back.

And if he's ging to keep diving he may find himself in Martin 'Way of the Dragon' Keown's bad books

11. frightwig

frightwig New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I've seen most of Ronaldo's games with United, and I think he's the most overrated, nothing player in the Premiership.

Every time he takes the ball, he has to do the flashy step-over move, which does nothing to enhance his position with the ball. Nobody falls for the fake, it doesn't help him get around anybody. He often just ends up losing the ball. The step-over is just a trick for show, which would be fine every once in awhile, but every time he dribbles? It's like Mariah Carey with her little voice trills and squeals. He's the Mariah Carey of football.

Defenders don't seem to have much trouble marking him, they often take the ball away. His passes don't show a particularly creative imagination. I haven't seen him make a cross or feed a passing lane which any other competent player in his position couldn't have done.

His greatest talent seems to be for taking a dive. If he's challenged anywhere within or near the box, he's probably going down with a dramatic flourish worthy of the Porto players I saw in the UEFA Cup Final. The first time Ashley Cole moved in on him last weekend, he merely stuck his leg forward, Ronaldo lost the ball, then clipped his heels together and flipped himself forward to draw the whistle. Cole never touched him.

Yes, I like Arsenal, but I enjoy watching good players on other sides, too. I'm not just ripping Ronaldo because he plays for United. I admire the United defense and midfield. I liked to watch Beckham. I think Ruud is remarkably efficient at what he does; give him the ball in front of the goal, he's usually going to find the net. He certainly has a nose for it. Ronaldo, however, is a lot of hype and no substance. He's the step-over and a haircut. I'm already sick of him.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :D Genius!

13. Fuerza River

Fuerza River New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    CAMPEON DEL MUNDO
    I think your forgetting that he's only 18 and that he's already been seen as the next superstar by his own teammates. Sure he's made some mistakes but thats what happens with young players. There are very very few people who can make moves like that especially at that speed. He's great for the game and a plus for Man U.

Sorry Arsenal Fans looks like another run of titles are in are future.

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At times Ronaldo has been our most dangerous player on the pitch. With Scholes out injured and Giggs playing (out of his natural position) in Scholes' normal spot behind Ruud, our attack has been a bit of a mess so far.

Yes, he does step overs, but he's put 3 or 4 crosses in that we should have scored on. I'd like to see him playing a more central role going forward, where he only has to beat one man to get a shot or cross off. He's still young though and we're pleased so far with what he's shown us.

He's still learning and settling in and the scousers and gooners obviously hate him already, so you just know he'll be class very soon. :D

15. GiggsNewWzrdOfHgwrts

May 9, 2003
    Chicago
    You honestly thought he impressed?

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: You honestly thought he impressed?

I seem to recall a young Welsh kid that was a bit flashy when he came up. It's a good things there weren't more people slagging him off too, or he wouldn't be our current 11. :rolleyes:

17. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    "waek players." You are foolish. He is one for the future, and he is very exciting, I have never seen someone so young do what he is doing, even if he does need more experience make the most of his talent. There are a lot of things doubters are forgeting and people like you are extremely foolish, because in 5 years time you will be raving about him because you are fickle my friend. He has only just made the move to the premiership. Have you any idea how different it is from the Portugese league. True, some players fit straight in no problem, but the majority of stars that come over need time to settle in. Look at Veron, no one can deny his calibre, yet he is still warming to the premisrship two years later. If you watch Ronaldo you will see that he has the ability to run at defenders which is an attribute lacking in the prmiership. He also has a great final ball, and the only reason he lets himself down is not becaue of his ability, but because he often over does it, or chooses the wrong pass. THIS ALL COME WITH EXPERIENCE. And for an 18 year he has fantastic prospects. Can you imagine how you would rave about him if he was american? look at the threads about that 14 year old edu on this site. Ronaldo is quality, and believe me, fergusan wouldnt have spent 12 million if he wasnt. Think a lot more next time you post, and watch more closely the next time you watch your adopted team play football.

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think it's a bit early to start comparing Ronaldo to Becks though. :D

19. frightwig

frightwig New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    If I had seen anything of substance that stood out, which balanced out the mistakes, I would acknowledge his talent and that he would only get more dangerous with experience. But he hasn't shown anything but some useless flash and good footspeed.

There are fast kids all over the world who have practiced the step-over move and other tricks to perfection. So what's so special about Fergie letting one run around Old Trafford? If we must make allowances for him because "he's only 18," let him hone his game on some lower level. Put him in a Nike commercial.

Meanwhile, if people are going to hype some young superstar of the Premiership, I want to see someone with superstar game in evidence. A player who brings something special to the table already, who does something that will burn into my memory. If we're just imagining what he might be like at 23, well, talk to me about him when he's 23, and we'll see what we've got.

Right now, he's just hurting his side's attack by being out there.

20. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    Such a poor analogy, having a player who can run at a defence is invaluable. I dont know what you expect from players, but right now, keep your eyes on Ronaldo, because he does more than just step over the ball, and you shouldnt need to be told that. He teurns defenders, makes them uncomfortable, even in tight spaces he wriggles around them, he is of undoubted pedigree, and is just feeling his way into english fotball

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Deja Vu Motts...!!! :D

22. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Cristiano Ronaldo=:)
    Helder Postiga=:(

23. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    He was good enough to make a starting defender for your side fall on his ass...I think we'll keep him around for a while.

24. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest, I don't know what to make of that Cristiano Ronaldo. He does stupid step-overs and the same repetative moves, but does manage to get past players and cross the ball in. I think Ferguson saw Giggs in him. I think he's going to be a good player, but it could go either way. Cademarteri did the same moves, he was found out, and he was going to be the next big thing for Everton...now he's a nobody.

25. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    I remember the hype over cadimarteri, but he was NEVER that good, scored a few goals and that was about it. I dont thin you can compare the two, the hype over cadimarteri wasnt even that bad really, he was always gonna be a flash in the pan. Didnt he go to Bradford? I cant see Ronaldo headed that way...