How are Bayern in second in the Bundesliga? [R]

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by miko, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Despite our poor displays we are still second in the Bundeliga. We can lose 1-0 to Bochum, draw with Cologne and Gladbach, and, not in the Bundesliga, lose to a lower league side in the DFB Cup, but still despite these awful displays (especially in our defense), we are still second in the Bundesliga and currently occupying a Champion's League spot!

It seems now the title might be slipping away from us (we're currently nine points behind Bremen), but a Champion's League spot is still a good possibility. And if our defense improves, and Bremen lose form, who knows what will happen.

I know I'm being optimistic, but if you think about it second isn't too bad, especially since our form is terrible.

We came third two years ago, and we were playing a lot better then than we are now.

2. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    It's more a sad statement about the BL, than anything positive about Bayern. Each year there's only really one team that excels--it is rare that there are two or even three real contenders. While I'd always like to see Bayern be a runaway winner, I have real interest in German soccer performing well in Europe. Three, four, or five strong teams would make me very happy. Then it won't bother me if Bayern doesn't become champion as long as they still play their best. Even if they suck but at least try their best, that's good enough for me as a fan. The current state of Bayern is pretty embarrasing however.

Ever since the CL win I've been advocating that Bayern strengthen the defense--very little was ever done, and the team is paying the price now. This isn't a quick fix. Buying Dede won't fix the defense...nor would Frings or Tevez. Defense is a team effort, and essentially, regardless of formation, any 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, etc. always boils down to a 6-2-2 or a 6-3-1 when you really look at it (at least it did for Bayern). Bayern seems to be playing a 2-7-1, and Hitfeld is aiming for a 0-9-1.

Second place or not, there are large problems.

3. Basti

Basti New Member

May 9, 2002

ditto!!

I remember a couple years ago there were 9 german teams in the UEFA cup and all of them got knocked out by the quarter finals if I'm not mistaken.

The bundesliga is pretty mediocre at times and it doesn't look good in the long run.

Stuttgart don't seem to be taking the right steps and I expect them to do poorly next season, the same with Bremen.

But of course you can always count on Bayern !!

4. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    I suppose this is true. I remember when there were four leagues in Europe considered "the top four leagues" (Spain, Italy, England, Germany). It wasn't too long ago, actually. I've watched a lot of EPL football recently, and its standard and level of excitement (usually) is better than the German Bundesliga. Now its more like the top three leagues, with Germany slipping into the next group of two, with the French league.

I was just mentioning something positive (if only slightly) for us Bayern fans to think about.