How and why are you a Gooner?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by xXJippedXx, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Chicago SC

Chicago SC Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mine doesn't make much sense. My favorite artist was Morrissey and he released an album in the '90s called "Your Arsenal." Many people go on the Beetles tour when in London. I went on the "Morrissey Tour" when I visited in 1998. Got to the Arsenal tube stop and got chills. Picked up an Arsenal shirt. Strange story but it counts.

K:thecore, cooper7d7 and red & wite army repped this.
  2. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    I grew up in one of those houses :(

Catfish repped this.
  3. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion Tel, that we were lucky, to live in the era that we did.

I often find myself reflecting, and wishing that I could go back there, just for a day or two,

..except for the times when Margaret was around.;)

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    were u 2 mates as kids? lanesra and grimster were right?

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but I thought Lanesra and Grim are brothers.

6. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why sad? That facade will be there forever. Here are some memories from October 2005 for you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any of these houses?
    [​IMG]

thebigman repped this.
  7. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, only day of our trip that was like this (well, also part of a day out in Salisbury) and we had otherwise great weather. I hate to contribute to the "dreary London" stereotype.

8. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2006 on my 10th birthday my dad got me an Arsenal kit. Did not think much of it and then in 2008 got FIFA 08 and I was wondering who to pick as my favorite team (which is what they first ask in FIFA 08) and I just choose Arsenal because that is the team my dad supported. The rest is history.

Four years later, been to 17 games and have a record of 15-2-0 (W-D-L) and now I fear the day I go to the stadium and I see us lose. (I thought we would when we played Man City but Arteta scored and of course we win 1-0). Good game, day after my birthday.

9. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The math I just did has made me hate you...:mad:

10. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont get it. Care to elaborate.

11. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    He doesn't really hate you...

[A clue]

The fact that you don't get it, is another reason why youth, is wasted on the young.

;)

12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess then. I have only been an Arsenal fan for 4 years (not 6 like he highlighted, remember I said I did not really get into football till 2008) and I have already been to 17 games which I am guessing is more than how many he has been to.

Well there is an easy explanation to that and that is that my relatives live in Islington (which explains my dads love for Arsenal). I am English, I just moved to America so now I just go back and fourth around 4 times a year and whenever there I see the Arsenal. It was made easier because the Junior Gunner membership was cheaper but this season I am not eligible so I will probably see less Arsenal.

13. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Nope...that's not it.

You could have been a gooner for one week....
    ...but sometimes, us older farts, just wish we were a little younger, and had been to more games.

But don't make any assunptions as to how many games he has been to.

As you get older, remember what the word 'assume' can make.

;)

14. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, he highlighted the year and the number of games I went to so that is what popped in my head.

But please, this is just jumping around in my head... what is this?

15. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Didn't start following soccer until the 2010 World Cup. I was teamless for the first half of the 2010/11 season, just kind of keeping up with the EPL and Japanese players in Europe, but I happened to tune into the first leg of the CL knockout round between Arsenal and Barcelona. Barcelona's the best team in the world; they have more than half the WC winning team plus Messi and they're up 1-0 pretty late into the second half. Van Persie scores the equalizer from an impossible angle and Emirates goes nuts. A few minutes later Wilshere plays a jaw-dropping thru pass to Nasri. Nasri tees up Arshavin, Arshavin sends Victor Valdes the wrong way and the stadium absolutely explodes. 2-1 Arsenal.

That's when I realized these are the guys for me. Plus, as an insane Boston Red Sox fan, I have a pitiful tendency towards sports masochism.

Catfish repped this.
  16. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like you......... until you said Red Sox fan... now I hate you :)

17. Lanesra

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    In Elwood st, about 20 yards behind you when you took this picture, what you see on the right is not the steps to the marble halls, but one of our goals when we were kids :)

18. Lanesra

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Sad because of the 40+ years I wattched my team there, sad because of the memories it held on and off the pitch, sad because of the people I went there with who are no longer with us, sad because the corporate bowl we play in now is a piece of shit compared to it, sad for so , so many reasons

19. keepaustingooner

Apr 13, 2010
    TEXAS
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I played Fifa 04 and my friends liked united and liverpool, so I decided to pick a different team and chose Arsenal. It was mostly due to Henry, but since I picked them and became addicted.

20. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    No, I was just lucky enough, to find myself in the company of Lanesra, Grim, and many other
    wonderful people that I have met, after joining this forum, several years back.

We have spent some great times together, and a few matches,
    ...and I hope there will be many more.

We are from the same era, and that's why there's a lot of things in common.

deaner1971 and thebigman repped this.
  21. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I hate you because you have been to more matches than you have years on this earth.

Now that I know you used to live in England, I am better.

Now I just resent you for your youth...;)

22. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that. It is hard to find a place where you can accept change even when you'll never embrace the change.

I really look forward to coming over again and taking some of you guys out for quite a few pints. I spent all of those same years with just two or three day old papers to learn of what had passed. I would truly love to get a better feel for what those journos failed to relay.

When I toured Highbury, there was the portion where you stopped in that hall and there were all of these trophies in those cabinets. Mr. George was talking about them and he stopped and asked if I was ok. I think he thought maybe my English wasn't good because he said I was just smiling the whole time and I think he thought I couldn't understand him. All I could really say was that I couldn't believe that I was there when it had always just kind of been a fairytale to me.

That still holds true. I feel like I was cheated because I only got to see Highbury in her final year. You have sounds and sights and smells forever engrained in your memories that make them so much more tangible.

I think I get now how that is both a blessing and a curse.

23. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So give it 6 months.... February we shall rise!!!