How about Tino for Rogers trade?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by yabo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be a big fan of Rogers or, more accurately, the potential that he possessed. Now, I see him as more of a Mapp. Has all of the tools to succeed but without the heart and the drive to succeed. In the games that I've seen him play in the past couple of years, he seems to check out way too often during a game. He wouldn't be a good fit, mentally, with this team.

That being said, Olsen might have the ability to motivate him, but I think the chances are small.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Santino's a DP now?

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen on the Crew forum, they'd gladly trade Rogers for a year's membership to Sam's Club.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    6 months and they've got a deal.

7. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'll give them Fred.

8. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh come on. You know I'd gladly trade Santino for Rogers. Done and done.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we get rid of one of our own for a guy who seems to have a serious attitude problem and has managed to alienate his own fan base?

10. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    A lot of that depends on what Rogers' beef is.

If it's like McCarty's was with Hyndman - simply a major philosophical clash - then maybe a move for Rogers would make sense.

But if it's about playing time (Rogers came off the bench Saturday), then this may not be the team for him. There's no guarantee that Rogers would start here, in competition with Najar, Pontius, and Boskovic. I can't imagine that his distaste with coming off the bench for a (likely) weak team will be much alleviated by coming off the bench for a (likely) average team.

And even if we assume that Quaranta is presenting a bit of an attitude problem, I would think that Olsen would prefer the attitude problem he knows to the attitude problem that he doesn't.

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I say "everyone", I don't count the outlying data points.

It's like saying "everyone knows up from down", but there's always some half cocked maniac who doesn't.

Obviously DCU's significant other has the hots for Tino or something.

;)

Seriously, I understand all the Q criticisms, and I can see a path where a trade might make sense for United.

But there's also a chance that in all the history of the world a pig was born with wings and flew, only because I wasn't here to check each one myself.

But realistically? Pragmatically? No.

12. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I agree with a lot above -- especially eltico's point about understanding what Rogers' beef is and does this move make it any better. I want to add an additional consideration: Tino is a special case, given what he's gone through with recovering from addiction. Yeah, yeah, he still has to earn his place on the team, yadda yadda, but I really think he's off the table for trade consideration purposes. The league, his employer, shouldn't put him in the position of having to move away from his support network in Baltimore/DC. You can talk x's and o's all you want, but at the end of the day there has to be some simple humanity applied here.

Maybe say it this way: if I were league commissioner, I wouldn't approve that trade.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, you know we are (ASSUMING that is)...because games are a week apart so people make shit up just to get wound up about.

"Tino looked pissed when he came on, so he must have an attitude problem..." this is absurd on on so many levels, such as;

Can you really get a good reading of somebody's expression from a couple hundred yards away?
    Isn't 'pissed' a normal expression for sombody in a really competitive mindset...like you need when just coming on to a professional soccer game?
    If he was mad about not starting why would he be pissed when he got INTO the game?

For those of you who just don't like how Tino plays, carry on with the trade discussion. For those who need to read stuff into everything to create the perception of a need for Quaranta to go, start spending less time with 7th grade girls.

Mostly I agree with 6 ft. Leprechaun on the topic of Rogers. And I like Tino's game if he has the right type of surrounding cast, which I think he has this season.

14. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when the day comes that Quaranta isn't going to be useful to the club anymore, they are going to release him. I don't think they'd ever attempt a trade he didn't ask for.

15. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Exactly. Which was I prefaced the comment by saying "even assuming if..." Because yes, who knows if Quaranta has an attitude problem? I could certainly see how a player who is accustomed to being a team leader and someone around whom the team was built being disappointed with a reduced rule. But that disappointment could just as easily light a competitive fire as create an attitude problem.

The point is that the season is young, there is much to be excited about, and discussing hypothetical trades beats whatever else we're all supposed to be doing at noon on a Thursday :)

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can never fault anyone for wanting to leave Ohio, no matter the reason
    - but I just don't see what Rogers has that's even worth trading for. We already have potential. I'm guessing less expensive potential.

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to trade people who start threads about stuff like this when it's already been discussed to death in another thread. :)

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Just release them. They have no trade value:)

19. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd only trade Tino for Rogers if Roy comes with Trigger, too... and Dale Evans.

1 person likes this.
  20. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Hubba, hubba.

21. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I need to read more closely, but this is the first I've heard of Tino even possibly having an attitude problem. His emotions are volatile and he became frustrated or discouraged on the field, but off of it, he seemed to have matured tremendously.

As far as I have seen, Tino wants to play and he wants to play for OUR team. Maybe I'm under-rating Rogers, but I'd pass without hesitation at this point - he sounds a bit like a sullen mercenary. He might be good, but I'm not sure I'd want him around for what I expect to be a rollercoaster season.
    Plus, isn't part of Roger's complaint his lack of playing time while Olsen believes in competition at every position? I don't see those things mixing well.

Of course, "morale" and "heart" are exactly the sort of intangibles used to brush off rational arguments and maybe I am just fond of Tino since he came back.

22. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd like to do a trade like this, but Rogers likely won't start here either. He'd still be pissed and that's not a good thing for club chemistry. My perception is that Tino is taking his 'benching' like a pro. He's pissed, but working harder to earn time on the pitch. I haven't heard of tweets from Tino on his benching.

23. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Tino, and would like to think any anger he shows is channeled to his play. He's still one of the better early crossers and play switching players we have, though recent additions may change that. I think he's certainly worth keeping, and don't know that Rogers would add enough to warrant his likely cost.

24. DCUPedro

DCUPedro Member

Feb 12, 2010
    District of Columbia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, Rogers has real trade value and Tino does not. So Columbus would never take this deal straight up, I think. And I'm not so sure it makes sense for DC United either.

Your second comment about a DP is interesting, and I can only assume you mean Branko. Look, Branko may not be worth DP money, per se, but I doubt he is getting paid much over the DP limit, for one thing, and he has a pretty exemplary attitude considering that he is the captain of a national team that is currently leading its group in UEFA qualifying and yet he's playing in reserve games for DC United.

I project that Branko will play this year and will not disappoint. He just so happens to be our 5th midfielder right now because Pontius is looking as good as he ever has, and McCarty and Simms are needed to strengthen ourselves defensively in the middle of the park. Are we paying too much for Branko? Probably, but we can reevaluate that in the offseason.

If think we have a well-balanced team right now, and I don't foresee us needing to make any personnel moves at present. Its only been one match.

25. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    ???

Rogers entire MLS reputation is based on a strong start to the 2008 season: five goals in the first eight games.

Since then, three goals in nearly three years (before Saturday's PK) for the best team in the league over that span. He's earned every pine splinter in his butt.

Are those numbers really good enough to justify http://therobbierogers.com/
    Robbie Rogers: The Official Website of Robbie Rogers?

My full name is Robert Hampton Rogers the III. I know… sounds pretty intense. I am from a big family, three girls and two boys. My brother and sisters are awesome people and all have such amazing qualities. Their names are Alicia, Nicole, Tim, and Katie Rose. Lets just say my childhood was never boring!

Oh, and for the record: 4,296 people like robbie rogers.