Houston, We Have A Shield.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by taco jones, Dec 22, 2005.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that somewhere in all these posts someone has suggested that the Name the Team contest will be a 'Give the team a NICKname' contest. A marketing solution to the idea that fans want to name the team themselves. A marketing solution to what happened in Dallas -- something marketing and sports in the US can't stand -- FC Dallas We Don't Know Whats.

Yeah, I love the Hoops. It's perfect. It happened semi-organically. It's perfect. But I can't believe that MLS feels comfortable with it.

Here, with Anschutz, I see a case of "We'll give them a soccer name -- Houston Republic FC -- but we NEED to have a MASCOT!!!! so the fans will pick one in a Name the Team Contest."

Anyway. I didn't read through all nine pages. Apologies if someone else has already suggested this.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. But only because traditionally shields or logos have the date the team started on them. If they're going to put a date, put 2006. That would make the San Jose people feel better, just a tiny bit, perhaps.

3. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This reasoning makes as much sense as the remark that calling the team "republic" will turn off Democrats.

4. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Good idea, which is why I suggested "Locos" (short for Locomotive)

5. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Honestly, I like the name. But that sheild is just plain bad. The locomotive, water, and tracks looks too cartoonish to me. The shild looks like a logo for a baby day care business. I hope we don't end up with that!

FC Dallas' shield is light years better than this one.

I really like the Republic name on it!

6. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough crowd...tranquilo amigo. And I disagree with you...the political question was a little farther out in left field.

7. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Heck i don't care. it's your guys' badge, not mine. seems a little odd to center on as a concern though.

8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.

I think it might be the best crest and color combo in the league already. I just doubt this will end up being the one.

Wouldn't be surprised if adidas wanted this tried out on the internet.

9. Couverite

Couverite Guest

"Colonneh" looks like a bad transcription of go-la-nv to me.

10. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

As a Mexican-American and native Houstonian, there's no offense taken by using "1836". It's a well known fact that Mexican-Texians fought for Texas Independance along side Sam Houston. In fact, my brother's brithday is April 21st, AKA Texas Independence Day, and I always greet him with "Happy Birthday and Happy Texas Independence Day" every 4/21. 1836 is not received negatively by anyone I know, relatives, friends, etc . . . Mexican-Americans all, in fact it's a sense of pride.

As for Mexican nationals who've come to Texas for work. . . .I'm not sure. I wouldn't think they'd care, but you'll have to ask one.

11. Joe Mac User

Joe Mac User New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Hi first post!

I just went through this thread and didn't see anyone mention that the locomotive is based on the locomotive from the seal of the City of Houston.

Compare http://www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/cityseal.html

I've never been crazy about the seal, but I like the fact that the shield is incorporating elements of Houston. Makes more sense than "Houston Texans" :rolleyes:

12. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL :D
    You didn't like Thomas the Tank Engine growing up?
    Ringo Starr could be the mascot, (or did you prefer Alec Baldwin, or George Carlin?).

13. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the MLS blog logans revenge (http://logansrevenge.blogspot.com/), this is perhaps the official Houston Logo, while only the name is up for voting.

"While there is going to be voting for the name, MLS/AEG has the artwork and logo all ready to go for the new franchise."

They could easily keep this logo and simply change the initials if a different team name were selected....In fact, since it seems like Houston Rovers is the favorite on BigSoccer, they wouldn't even have to change the initials!

14. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

IMO, the union of the HR on the crest looks fantastic. Just that "HR" (with the second vertical line of the "H" also used as the vertical line for the "R") would make for an awesome baseball hat...like the NY logo for the Yankee's or SF for the Giants. Houston, I applaud you.

15. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    "Look! BS posters like it!"

[​IMG]

[BS Posters]Mmmmm....this jersey fibre is deeeelicious![/BS Posters]

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Sir Topham Hatt!

[​IMG]

17. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    G-ddanm! You are right!

BTW, I would like to reiterate that if they go with logo...its awsome!

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find!

Here's a single post comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    And the Macon Whoopee!

20. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I concur.

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put this through Babelfish and I got - Dear Lamar, I love the rainbow Signed, Toto

22. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ya know...I had forgotten about the blog's post. Taking into account the time frame that the team has for marketing itself, going gangbusters in media starting mid-January 06, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that's close to the final prodcut. Now, I don't anything about TM laws, but, heck, that sucker has already the TM on it!

23. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dig the shield.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas: Sticking it to Mexico since 1836.

25. mlsfan31

mlsfan31 Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I like about this is the ORANGE. But that is IT.

The rest $u(k$.

That shade of blue does NOT look good with the orange. And it could be a TEX thing but the name I just don’t get. Just does not sound good enough for a team.