Houston, We Have A Shield.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by taco jones, Dec 22, 2005.

1. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Well, you obviously have talent. How 'bout doing one each for both Apollos and Dynamos? I lost my CAD program when I switched from PC to Mac, so I can't do squat anymore :(.

2. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't have a friggin' clue what your problem is. You made a statement saying that the Cherokee tribe had nothing to do with Texas or Sam Houston. I show you 1 of 10,000 articles on the history of the Cherokee/Texas connection, and you flip out.

You don't like what the internet says, go check out a friggin' library book and look it up yourself.

As for people wanting their "Indian Check" from the government, I don't have any idea what your talking about. I guess someone who is a white man can't have any Cherokee heritage. My great-grandmother was a Cherokee. If you want I'll pm you the papers from the Echota Tribe. But to say that I've some how asked for 'a free check' because of who one of my ancestors is, is pretty ********ing condescending. I've never done anything but take pride in that fact.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff t.j.

My only two suspicions was the 'bike messenger'. We still use bike messengers in our agency occasionally, but not when Adobe Acrobat will do.

And I found it hard to believe, even in Houston, that anyone would want a soccer club with a baseball as half their logo.

4. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Houston Republic !

Cool, Taco Jones, you are the MAN :D

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Might not be much of a problem. Orange is a good color for soccer. Orange and blue will look good on the MLS all-white roadies.

Textiles have come far enough that anything predominantly orange, especially a middle or darker shade, will have a good look against the green of grass. Regardless of crest design, light blue seems a minor or trim color.

I'm not a big fan of the badge. It does have character. The train tracks are too plain. I love that orange seems to be the main color - long overdue. A lighter blue connects to the old Oilers of NFL's past. If knowing Houston means understanding the badge, then great. I know several people from Houston and I hadn't ever heard much of the story represented in the badge. That's a contrast to Chicago's widely recognized theme.

6. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it. I hope this is the direction that MLS continues to head in.

For instance, I hope the Philadelphia franchise has a Liberty Bell incorporated...

7. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    You didn't read the entire thread, did you? :)

8. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA, clearly not. :D

9. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, no i didn't.

fill me in, because i'm still not gonna read it.

thats a lot of pages.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No.. you have to read it... trust me on this, it will be worth your while.

Actually, skip to page 18 and start from there.

Sachin

11. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm an ass.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Posted on Dec. 22nd....

13. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, its history now.

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Strong contender for the I Told You So Cup.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not to toot my own horn (o.k., I'm tooting... big time)... But I've been screeming this for weeks now.

At first it was, wull... the name ONLY means the founding of the city, they should just get over it, I don't see the English protesting the Revolution.

What about the sponsors, ticket buyers, merchandise sales? I asked

"Impossible!" they screamed. "Mexicans don't care about MLS. We're in 'Merica," they said

"The name is dripping in negative and positive associations from all sides" I said. "That's just activist perfessers like yourself" they said. "It only means the founding of the city."

"No, it doesn't. Not even for Houstonians" I said.

"You're from LA. You don't understand" they said.

"I know Mexican culture, and I know that Mexicans are necessarily overly enthusiastic about that time period, to say the least", I said.

And then everybody and their brother was suddenly Hispanic and *they* didn't find it offensive. I swear to God, if as many ppl are Hispanic as they say they are on the Houston boards, that city must be 84% Latino. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Univision and sponsors put pressure on AEG. "Maybe it's b/c Mexicans are a viable market for MLS. Not perfect. But important."

"Impossible!" they say. "This can only be the work of activist perfessers".

As an "activist professor" in the humanities myself, I'm here to tell you that we. Don't. Get. Listened. To. By..... ANYBODY.

I've consulted for business, as in informal favor for a buddy to figure out a little spat btw Salvadorans and Hondurans at a factory. They wanted to know my opinion about the cultural factors in this spat. The limited me to... two minutes. And they cut me off at 35 seconds.

Business men are NOT interested in this stuff, only the part that affects the bottom line. [/rant]

16. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Damn, I need to buy a Houston 1836 t-shirt before they're all gone.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried yesterday. My guess is that in the time period that it normally takes MLSGear to send you stuff, they'll have either said "We'll send you a t-shirt with the new name and logo" or "we're discontinuing that product, so we're not charging you, thanks for visiting MLSGear.com."

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yup. And it'll only be worse the second time around.

19. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Please tell me that all of the "Seattle to MLS to play in Qwest" rumors were started by "Taco Jones" under a new alias.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Damn!!! Blast from the past!! Mike Segroves, even. Dang!

Oh, by the way...

Neener. Neener. NEENER. :D