Houston, We Have A Shield.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by taco jones, Dec 22, 2005.

1. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    A friend from New York left a message on my voicemail last night. He was pretty excited. After listening to the message, I too was pretty excited, but I had doubts. I called him up and expressed my skepticism. He told me to chill.

The following was in my Inbox this morning. For future reference, business owners: if you're going to leave a bike messenger unattended, make sure he doesn't have a camera-phone on his persons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta say, if this is as real as it looks, I think they're on the right track. Pun totally intended.

2. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Brilliant

3. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Good deal, good deal...I like it. A lot.

4. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    It could be designed much better, but it looks OK.

I hope that orange is the main color.

But why would they announce a team name contest then?

Maybe that's just one of the prototypes? Maybe they have 3-5 different shields/names at hand?

5. ickenham

ickenham New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I just didnt like the FC at the end, could be just houston Republic, but its nice...

6. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    And by the way, someone at adidas or MLS got

pwned!!! :D

7. ickenham

ickenham New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Lisbon, Portugal
    what does that mean? :confused:

8. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    a clever way to write "owned"... it's an American internet thingie...

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Maybe this is just one of the design ideas and not the final one.

The orange would be OK, but orange/sky blue on jersey would be a visual train-wreck, so to speak.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC at the end is fine. Many clubs do it. Heck, some baseball clubs have "BC" at the end, even though no one ever uses them.

11. mlshouston

mlshouston New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Houston
    Not bad. While Republic was not my initial first choice, it has begun to grow on me. I think that's one of the few names that I've heard that encompasses all fans in Houston. Republic definitely plays on the pride and independence of Houstonians, and Texans in general. It also appears that they've done their homework (steam engine from city seal, train tracks, etc)..

Things I like:
    I like that it's a crest/shield, not just a "logo".
    I like orange and light blue as the colors.
    I like the train and tracks.
    I like having the year 1836 on there (independence).

About the only thing that I initially didn't like was the "FC" at the end, but no big deal. Leave it.

Let's not forget, this isn't official. And even if it is, it's likely one of three or four to be released. But if this was the first, last, and only choice I could definitely live with it.

BTW, is anyone else afraid that "Republic" is going to cause some anymosity from potential democratic fans?

12. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I wonder what that "comments" section says...

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This is not yet done, but is very close to being the final presentation.

1. The Artisitic Director has added some comments, while the Creative Director has not yet signed.
    2. I can't read the comments fully, but the recommend a change to the 1836 and possibly the tracks.
    3. The colors aren't final until they run the full test to see how they show up on different media.

As for Republic causing problems for Democrats... when one of them buys the team, they can change it.

Sachin

14. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    I'm not totally "wowed" by the logo, but both the logo and the name are solid. Can't complain. I'd put this logo 5th after Chicago, DC, RSL and Dallas.

15. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad. Rangers wasn't my first choice. Don't even think it was in the top 5, but I could get used to it.

Don't really like the idea of Orange and Light Blue together. I also think it'd look like a train wreck.

Let's hope this is just one of several ideas. It won't be getting my vote anytime soon :)

16. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    We are a republic, no Democrat has a problem with that. At least I don't.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So I take it Houston Republic is the winner of the "name the team" contest that hasn't started yet ...

18. mlshouston

mlshouston New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Houston
    My understanding was that a few of these ideas were going to be presented to fans for voting. This is the only one we've been able to sneak a peek at.

What I'm wondering, is orange/blue going to be the colors on all of them, or is the color combo going to vary with each individual concept.

19. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
    I like the concept....needs some tweaking, but this is light years ahead of where the league started a decade ago....San Jose Clash...now that was a train wreck :rolleyes:

Some real thought went into how to tie this team to the community...glad to see some professionalism and a desire to take the fans seriously rather than just throwing some icon at them.

20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is just one of many ideas. Here's a sneak peek at the *final* uniform:

[​IMG]

:p

21. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Methinks this could be the beginning of the PR campaign to cover up the fact that everything is already in place.

Hmmmmmm...

22. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    That is potentially the dumbest post of the year. We live in a freaking democratic republic... All of us. It has nothing to do with politics.

23. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I suggested Gold and Powder Blue last week as the colors in another thread. Thank you for listening to me MLS. While you're at it I'd like a pony. :D

edit: (Or is that orange? People are saying stuff about orange, but it looks gold on my screen...)

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    [​IMG]
    He's overrated

25. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm guessing that Club America has nothing to do with the Houston team. There is nothing at all in that shield that relates in any way with the Club America brand. No similar colors, designs, etc. And to be honest, it seems much more geared to Americans and Euro-centrics, esecially with the FC part, than at all towards the Latino community and Hispanic imports. Especially with making sure to high light the year that Texas gained it's independence from Mexico and also, again, using FC instead of Deportivo or something similar.