Post-match: Houston vs LA Galaxy, Sunday 10/18 [R]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Oct 18, 2009.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Awesome Nigel. That looked fantastic

3. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought our defense was good and Cameron bicycle kick save the day !!!
    I swear I saw a beast in Camron today..he was fantastic..see how many time he stop Donavan in the 2nd half..? Beckham - I'm really sick of him..he need to go to some anger management classes...he tackle Clark 3 times and Referee did not do shit ...just because he is a superstar he get away with that...I thought I saw Beckham with his middle finger given to Ching when they were separate....how many time I saw Beckham get in a fight with other ..I lost count..I hope he goes to AC Milan and stay there..
    What an a#$hole !! :mad:

4. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jajajaja...I'd forgotten all about that. That was classic.

5. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he goes also, for a different reason, I hate his prima donna antics off the field, Galaxy, Milan, Galaxy, Milan, I want to go, I want to stay, I want to go, I want to stay, I want to go and stay.

I can forgive players for being jerks on the field, lots of players are jerks on the field, I dislike Becks for being a jerk on the field, but I want him to go for his antics off the field.

I was mad at the end of the game, but with a cooler mind, it was an entertaining game, lots of chances for our guys, one huuuge chance for the other guys, great saves from their keeper, a fight, but most importantly, a full stadium with 2/3 of the fans wearing orange, every game more and more of our fans wear orange, soccer is so much better with a full stadium.

Brahma, I wanted to go to section 204 to say hello, but then I remembered I don´t know how you look likw.

Anderson, on the first or second row where sections 2004 and 205 meet, there was a guy with a jersey that says Anderson, was that you?

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of this. The Westside take, which I am sure all of you are waiting for:

1) "Void of Ideas" - the offense has no creativity and timing just seems off. I am sure part of this has to do with inconsistent lineup, USMNT call-ups, etc. but if we try one more 40 yard ball to Landin or Ching with no runners or other options, I will impale myself on the end of the metal bleachers. We needed Oduro 20 minutes earlier, not to score, but just to open something up.
    2) New sponsorship ideas - instead of the McDonalds Minute (where Joe Blow can win $1,000 if Stuart Holden scores in the 28th minute), how about the Chico's Bail Bonds minute where Joe Blow or his immediate relatives get a free bail bond up to $1,000 at the Harris County Jail if a Dynamo player gets a red card in the XXX Minute? I thought the red was kind of bogus on Ching since the linesman kind of half gave it to him (he walked away, stopped, then turned around and told Stott to send him off) but we have to be smarter than that. This one was dumb.
    3) In the pregame thread, someone called Stott's style perfectly - slow to go to the cards, then when they come, they come quick. Let too much go for 70 minutes, then tried to get control and went overboard. Wasn't awful, but he let the wrestling and hard challenges go to long.
    4) Boy, anyone still want to try and convince me that the Monterrey game was the "key to our season". Yeah, that effect lasted for all of 6 days, at least the positive elements. The negative of not having Ashe hurt today as it was apparent early that we did not have the pace to get by the Galaxy defense.
    5) Roster - there is a lot of soccer left, but I'm going on the record that the Dynamo FO & Dom missed on the roster composition this year. Brought in Landin to play Ching's role, then signed to Ching to an extension. Gets rid of a legitimate 3rd or 4th forward in Kamara, for a US Open Cup player (Thompson). We have 8 fullbacks on the roster, many of them highly compensated by MLS standards. Have the best depth in the league, but doesn't seem to fit for a first 11.

On the postgame show, the announcer mentioned that it was likely (he hedged on it a bit later) that our 1st round home game (1st or 2nd leg) would be the 2:00 Sunday Telefutura game. I freakin' hate this. We seem to play subpar in these afternoon games for some reason.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it is better to finish 1st in the West (unlikely now) or finish 4th and have less pressure or have a home game to open up. It's almost like if we win the West it will mask the problems of the last two months and lead to the same result as last year.

Interesting week of soccer coming up for the local 11 (or 10, after the obligatory red card).

7. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't want a 2pm Sunday game b/c it may be difficult to come back that night

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yup. i thought the same thing pre-game. its going to be a midfield battle. heck, from today to the playoffs its going to be about 0-0's and 1-0s.

everyone who's been watching soccer long enough knows that Beckham is an a-hole (on the field, i hear he's an OK guy off the field). he's always been one, its just the he has a great marketing team that pushes the 'goody 2-shoes' card.

anyone remember when he took out that Necaxa player in the Club World Cup in Brasil? the hit was brutal. how about the hothead red cards when playing with England? anybody, Bueller?

9. SickSoccerBoy

SickSoccerBoy New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    totally agree with the shitty mood and the calls to the bench. Oduro would have spread the field, and honestly, i think Mullan was out of gas at the break. And at one point in the first half Landin was running down the ball in the Galaxy's corner and looked like a fat kid chasing cake. Where is that dude's fitness?

10. vtqn

vtqn New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Landin looked a bit chunky. There's a keg and not a 6-pack on that guy. He is obviously not in an MLS shape. Davis verbally got on him a couple of times on the field.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom's bench options on offense weren't real good but the game was crying for some speed and fresh legs as early as the 60th minute. I do agree we looked gassed at the half and I think Arena thought so too as he went to Donovan a bit earlier than I thought he would have after seeing our start to the second half.

12. SickSoccerBoy

SickSoccerBoy New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You nailed it with your comment on the roster. i was watching the bench warm up at half time and i was staring at last years starting back 4.

13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    by the way, i said i was going to be positive from now to the end of the year so before anyone crucifies any Dynamo make sure to go to mlsnet and view the video: 'Donovan Rickets Saves Highlight Reel'. the dude took 2 out of the goal.

14. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least. It was super impressive.

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt Ricketts is the Man of the Match.

He played very very well today and basically helped his team come out of our house with a point.

16. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I watched the game on Telefutura and I noticed Landin looked kind of big and then they showed one shot where his shirt was blowing into his stomach and he looked really "fat."

I cannot believe Dom is not working him harder or getting him into shape. He is in awful shape for being such a young guy. I hope he doesn't think he is going to turn into Blanco if he just gets in a little worse shape.

This one of the first big games I haven't gone to in the 4 years that the Dynamo have been here and I am actually glad I didn't go today. We have to be more dangerous offensively. The MLS has become way too defensive this year.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is just not that fast. But there has been this allusion (Glenn Davis has done this) to Landin "working his way into match fitness" which makes no sense since you would have expected him to be in shape in Mexico.

Ching and him on the front line is not going to give anyone any nightmares on getting beat over the top.

18. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of our speed is in KC and the rest is on crutches with a knee injury that might end its season. Other than Oduro, we have no speed.

I have to say that while Landin looks far from an impressive physical specimen, his fitness doesn't strike me as being extremely sub-par. It's not the best but it is improving. It seems to me that he closes down defenders more often than Ching does. If you stick an odometer on Ching and Landin, I'd bet that Landin runs further than Ching does throughout the game. And as far as his speed goes, he's never been a fast player...ever. If you were expecting to get speed from him when he signed from Cruz Azul, you were expecting the wrong thing.

Anyway, positives I'll take from this game is the defensive performance. As I said, they were organized and focused for the entire game which has been a rarity this season. Offensively, there were moments but we are nowhere near where we need to be heading into the post-season. Some of that is due to the fact that LA is a good team. The Bruce has them playing controlled, tactically sound football. Some of that though is due to our own deficiencies in our midfield and up top.

19. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The positive I want to take is this:

[​IMG]

Look at all that orange.

20. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I blame Bayvol for not waking up the Galaxy players in their hotel rooms when he had the opportunity!! jaja

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure which is worse - having 4 fullbacks as 4 of your 6 field player subs or having $510,000 of salaries tied up in them. That's a pretty large chunk of your cap that you don't feel is worthy to be in the starting 11. I understand ERob being hurt all year and Waibel is probably underpaid but the other two need to be more than benchwarmers at their salaries.

22. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed...that was a pretty sight.

Wait a minute. For months, people here are bitching and complaining that we need to bench Barrett. Eventually, it happens and now people are saying that we should be getting more out of Barrett because he's paid 6 figures? I get what your saying about not wanting to pay a bench player 6 figures but his salary isn't going to change. I'd much rather have Barrett making 6 figures on the bench and have Chabala, the better option at LB on most days, starting, then have Barrett making 6 figures as a starter when there's a better LB available to start.

23. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All or nothing against CUSA as far as seeding goes. Could well happen that we have the Home Leg first and then go on the Road for the return Leg.

Hope BC only gets 1 Game, otherwise that piece of brilliance today means he misses the first playoff game as well. Tired of talking about idiotic Red Cards.......

WTF happened to the mental state of this team after Twittergate this Summer?

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather not have Barrett on the roster making $150K if he isn't going to play . . . which goes back to my point about the roster having a bit of a poor composition now after all of the trades we somehow have depth at all of the wrong spots and no depth at the spots of critical need with a week to go in the regular season. All of the red cards has hurt depth but we went from a surplus of quality forwards to almost no bench options in about 45 days.

We also traded for Cochrane, making $145K . . . to sit the bench. The teams in MLS that have multiple 100K + guys not contributing are the teams that generally miss the playoffs (like DC United).

I'll cut them some slack on Barrett only because Chabala was unproven, but we still went with other left backs at times this year. The tire wear was visible on Barrett at the end of last season, might have been stuck with him contractually anyways but you can't pay him that much in 2010 to play in the US Open Cup.

25. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States