Houston team name voting on MLSNET.com

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ElJefe, Dec 22, 2005.

1. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Republic is my choice its not on here but whatever, heck they can capitalize on this and create a clothing line called it republic.

2. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    If republic isn't one of the choices what's the deal with the mock "Houston Republic" logo someone posted on another thread?

3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am guessing:

Houston Republic - Official Name
    "1836" or "Houston 1836" - The Nickname

Sortalike SF 49'rs.

4. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    "How could anyone possibly not like the name Apollo?"

:)

5. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    I'm not crazy about Houston 1836, but I'm sure I'd get used to it quicker than Real Salt Lake, which amazingly I don't even think about much anymore. I'm sure they'd be called the 36ers, which isn't bad. I also like Houston Republic; the only drawback there is that it can be grammatically awkward when referring to players: are they "republicans," or "republic players," or what? Not that it would be unprecedented; you don't say of a Chicago player "he's a Fire," for instance, and it doesn't really cause any problems.

I don't like Apollos. The only Apollo I've ever heard of other than Apollo Creed was a god in Greek mythology. There was only one; the plural is just meaningless, like calling them the Houston Zeuses or Houston Poseidons. Rangers is okay as a name but that won't fly because of the Texas Rangers. I don't care for Spanish nicknames unless there's an obvious reason why the English equivalent wouldn't be as good, so I don't like Toros or Gatos. Bulls is probably out because of Dallas's logo.

Eagles is good. Stallions or Mustangs is good. I don't mind Buffaloes, although I always associate buffaloes with areas further north than Texas. I'm sure there were once bison in that area, but there were once bison in Indiana, too, and it would seem strange for a team east of the Mississippi to call itself the Buffaloes.

Of the choices listed, plus Houston Republic, I'd choose Republic first, then Eagles/Stallions/Mustangs, then I guess 1836 and then Buffaloes.

But whatever they choose, I'll get used to it. Just like I got used to [ugh] Real Salt Lake.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...As well as the ones that say "WOODY" (The Ohio State University). I'm sure there's a few others.

I like Gatos. Imagine a hundred MLS supporters yelling "You're just a bunch of poosies" to the Houston team.

7. Lone Star

Lone Star Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Pizza Hut Park
    There are hundreds and hundreds of posts in regards to Houston and their possible team name, so I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not......but does anyone else have problems with 'Lonestars' as a plural team name? Makes me think of that movie 'Airheads' and the band named the 'Lone Rangers'.

'The Lone Rangers? That's original. How can you pluralize "The Lone Ranger"?'

'Well, there's three of you. You're not exactly lone. Shouldn't you be the Three Rangers?'

:)

8. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wanted hippos, but i settled on mustangs.

9. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why arent y'all choosing the LONESTARS

sounds kinda cool and aint y'all state the Lonestar State?

10. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Sorry, forgot about the Lonestars. That would be fine with me too. I'd prefer Republic/Eagles/Stallions/Mustangs, but Lonestars would probably be best after that.

11. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If they choose Lonestars, then I nominate for the team's tagline

"I SEE YOUR SCHWARTZ IS AS BIG AS MINE"

12. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually, there are like 6 Apollos...

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Umm... more like 11 (7-17 were manned)

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharpstown H.S. in Houston also uses Apollos (sorry for the logo quality - that's all I could find):

[​IMG]

15. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanderers

16. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Where is Houston Rovers, which has a large following among several polls?

17. tigerfan

tigerfan New Member

Jul 21, 2005
  18. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    There is one reason why I think that the name has already been chosen. And it is because of this line on the official entry form on MLSnet.

"Entrants shall vote for their favorite team name; however, final selection of official team name shall be determined by Sponsor and MLS in their sole discretion."

19. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    I pick Houston 1836 :cool:

20. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think the Chupacabras would be awesome, especially if you've ever seen a drawing or (forged) photo of one. Besides, they suck the blood of goats, which means they would be all over Chivas USA.

21. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side
    Just FYI while I was doing some site work of my own, but houston1836.com has been registered as of December 22nd 2005.

The site registration information (domain owner, address, etc.) has been locked, which is not typically someone goes out of their way to do -- unless of course you don't want people to know who bought it

22. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which name did you guys choose? I chose HOUSTON 1836.

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Interesting. But could it not mean also that someone is hedging bets on possible team name and " cyber squatting" on it?

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Houston We'vegotaproblems.....

alright I'll add a serious one:

Houston Stampede

25. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side
    oh that could definitely be, but usually squatters don't pay to have the records remain confidential because they WANT whoever wants the domain name to be able to contact them to buy it.

Doesn't mean that's not it, but considering the sleuthing done in the past for team names and such online it would make sense for AEG or MLS or Oliver Luck to cover their tracks.