Houston team name voting on MLSNET.com

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ElJefe, Dec 22, 2005.

1. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    My bad, I didn't know there was already a "Rangers" in Texas (I'm not big on baseball). It would be stupid to have another team in the state with the same name.

2. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Houston Republic FC. But wouldn't Texas Republic FC be more accurate?

3. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And there's also another team in Texas called 'Stars' (IR NHL's Dallas Stars) but that didn't stop it appearing on the official list.

I dont like any of those, but some of them are simply horrible (see Buffaloes, Americans.....)

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

But a few years back, a fringe group called the "Republic of Texas" took two hostages in West Texas in an attempt to encourage Texans to secede from the U.S. :eek: .

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=64188ADC-5D4B-417E-A31B-9BB84D2E8B43

Let the wacko's have their Republic of Texas, and let the soccer fans have our "Houston Republic"

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  6. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California
    I agree the names you have to choose from are crap.......

Rovers was a good suggestion.....all these others are like the Wiz, Clash, Burn...etc.

7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Houston 1836

Just so I can hear everyone complain how it is a crappy name like Real, United, and FC. Though I personally wouldn't mind Eagles; just to kind of make fun of Club America since they wanted a team in Houston.

8. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Republic FC can still be the name of the club. Whatever you're voting on could simply be the nickname.

Ex. You play the University of Texas team, who are nicknamed the Longhorns. Or Newcastle United FC who are the Magpies.

Of course since we're all already enough of soccer fans to post on Big Soccer, we should all be familiar with this concept.

One thought is that if a locomotive is going to be on the shield, why not have one of the options be Steamers or something. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Houston Cowcatchers.

9. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Houston Bush-whackers.

Or was that more, whole World Bush-Whackers? I certainly love to whack him about a bit.

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's between Stallions and Toros for me. Although I have to admit, I was hoping Vaqueros would be an option.

11. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I really hope they don't go with that name, for those reasons exactly.

12. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eeek! :eek:
    What drivel. Houston Buffalos??? You must be kidding. Who is really going to get into the historical reference of that. It's straight out of the wiz/clash/burn/fusion playbook of cheese. I was going to vote on a name but there was no "other" choice on the list.
    God bless all Houston footie fans and congrats on getting a team.

13. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    As a Houstonian, I voted for Lonestars, though I preferred Stars. Houston is Space City and all of our team names have to do with space (except the Texans, and the worthless former team the Oilers). We've got the Astros, the Rockets, and the Aeros (hockey). Apollos would have worked with the theme, but I don't like it. I'd be surprised if it didn't relate to NASA and space because I remember the comments when the Texans were named.

15. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team is named Houston 1836, expect the sparse media to re-name the team the "36ers"

16. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Actually, Chris, that's pretty good.

Andy

17. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Jesus. Spare me.

18. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can anyone educate me on what 1836 is suppose to be??

19. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    Year of Texas' independence.

20. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=110879&progr=1

"The '1836' in the shield represents the date Texas achieved independence from Mexico"

I'm guessing, however, that the above interpretation is the result of too-quick fact checking. If the name turns out to be "Houston Republic" (as opposed to "Texas Republic") then it seems more likely that 1836 refers to the year in which Houston was founded.

21. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Or of course they could indeed name it Eagles and once stadium financing is in place, CA could come in and buy the team afterall! Now there's conspiracy talking.

22. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    No.

23. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Toros would be fine--EXCEPT it's already the Dallas mascot.

I voted for Apollos due to the absence of Republic from the list.

Nice catch on the Eagles thing! If they give them the name/mascot of the Eagles, then have Club America slide in in a couple of years and take over, no one's the wiser. Except the orange/blue may have to change.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter what choices they would have put out there, someone would have said that.

Houston had a longtime minor league baseball team called the Buffaloes (Buffs for short) before they got the Colt .45s.

If "Apollos" won, wouldn't that be confusing to have English and Spanish and a Greek name in the league? I mean, who could keep up with that? It would definitely keep the league from succeeding, to ask people to make sense of that. :rolleyes:

If it's Houston Republic FC, while I think the "FC" is silly and stupid and unnecessary and counterproductive, Republic's not bad. It's different. Would definitely give the europoseurs wood.

And then you'd have two FCs in a state where that "other" football is kind of a big deal.

25. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, why isn't the name 'Ravens' and option since that's the Cherokee name given to Sam Houston and they've even tried to incorporate it on the shield?

That fact that it's already taken by another pro team doesn't seem to fly here since some of the choices they do have listed are Stars (Dallas Stars of the NHL), Bulls (Chicago Bulls of the NBA) and Eagles (Philidelphia Eagles of the NFL). If it's okay for those, then why not Ravens?