Houston Supporter's Group

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by KaptPowers, Dec 16, 2005.

1. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you that you Houstonians (Houstoners? What do you call yourselves?) have a club of your vewy vewy own, it is your duty to put together a supporter’s group. You don’t need to wait until the name has been announced. Look to the example of RSL’s Loyalists. I’d say Sam Houston’s Army but that’s too close to Sam’s Army. Bowie’s Brigade? You get the idea. Welcome to the league.

2. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't really think of any good names at the moment (or at least anyones better than the ones above). I have a feeling some names will come to me once the team name is announced. I'm hoping for some good suggesstions.

3. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayou Bervardos... but I like Sam Houston's Army too....as long as most of them support the USMNT I dont see a problem. Thats why I was thinking of a group name with a Texmex theme.

4. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    As soon as you get some kind of organisation going let me know. We have things to discuss.

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

The Greesy Enchiladas with Extra Cheese and Onions Supporters, aka the GEECOS?

Man, I' making myself hungry.

6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good supporter's group can go a long way. Just look to RSL's Loyalists. ;)

Before you name the dang group, set out a day for all interested parties to meet at some central location in Houston. Get the word out and then get together to officially organize yourselves. Have fun! Feel free to PM me for suggestions. I'm not the head of the Loyalists, but I'm very involved from day one.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just waiting on the club Colors and Crest. We could just have something simple like The 'Texian Defenders' or 'Ol' 34th Boyz'. Something that has bite and speaks to our unique Texas heritage is a must!

8. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in!! I grew up in Houston, and support the clubs from my home town (except the Texans; I'm still hurting from the Oilers move). I guess I'll have to run the north-central Florida branch of the supporters organization, since I'm trapped at school here ;)

I am so excited that we have an MLS team. I was really shocked when I first starting following football a few years ago to see a team in Dallas and not Houston; you'd think Houston would have a much better market for it.

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    If there is a heavy Home Depot presence, why not The Contractors?

10. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celt and I talked about this at the press conference. Do we want to wait for the name and colors and stuff before we name the group? Anyway, I'm in.

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you should wait for that stuff, start pulling stuff together now. What does "Section 8" have to do with the Fire? Did RSL have a name before the Loyalists named themselves? Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...nevermind.

12. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    What does the Inferno have to do with FC Dallas?

Yeah, yeah, I know, they used to be the Burn.

Just trying to stoke the rivalry.

Apparently the colors will include orange - and with the nice passing game of the former quakies, you might consider "clockwork orange".

13. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    How about "There is Always Next Year" :)

14. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    You can adopt ""deep in the heart of Texas" as your theme song :)

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Sam's Army?

The name's not trademarked, is it?

16. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I do believe it is, right? Or maybe just the logo is?

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, it is trademarked. :(

"Sam's Army® Name and Logo are Registered Trademarks."

http://www.sams-army.com/

But who cares about little things like trade-marks.

Call it Sam's Army anyhow! :) ;)

How about "Sam's Volunteer's"?

Sam Houston's army was made up of volunteers, and "Sam's Volunteer's" has a nice ring to it.

18. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam's Cavalry, maybe?

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it!

Especially if you all are able to get a horse mascot ala the Texas Tech Red Raider.

The Dallas Burn used to have Islamico, and he was very popular:

[​IMG]

I wonder if you all could have something similar.

20. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have something like Infernosaurus!

Kidding. But I do love the dinosaur.

And I thought I had remembered something about Sam's Army being trademarked.

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    The last thing you all should be worried about right now is names. Just get the ball rolling on organization and identifying as many MLS fans in the area that you can. Get everyone here on bigsoccer together for some kind of meeting/happy hour type event and just start talking through the possibilities. And remember to contact Jonno as he suggested earlier. Not only are there things for our two groups to discuss, he can give you some help in getting started and things to look out for. He's the president of The Inferno. Until our two teams face off for the first time, we'll be willing to help you all out in anyway we can. A solid supporter's group in Houston will just make this in-state rivalry all that more exciting. Good luck.

22. MathewsLAT

MathewsLAT New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston
    I think that originality is very important. I really would like the "Bayou Bullies" for a team song there is nothing like Dean Martin and "Houston".

23. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any more mention of Bayou anything should cease until i actully see a bayou in Houston. you want to see a bayou go to Houma, LA. Unofficially the H-town Hooligans are forming. Its soccer's version of the S-U-C.

24. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe it's not a traditional bayou like house boats all over the place like in La, but we are surrounded by them... thats why we are called the Bayou City. We choose to use them as a way to get all the water from or streets and keep the water out of our homes not live on them!

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayou City?! HAHA! You don't even use them correctly. If you can't kneeboard behind your house what's the point of a bayou.