(Houston) Pro soccer team seeks public partner, Houston Chronicle 12/22

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Dec 22, 2005.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dec. 21, 2005, 11:42PM (Houston Chronicle)
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3541446.html

Pro soccer team seeks public partner
    Owners want to make a deal with a school district or other entity to help build new stadium

By BILL MURPHY

Excerpts:

The company that owns the Major League Soccer team coming to Houston hopes to form a partnership with a school district or other public entity that would share the costs of building a $65 million to $80 million soccer stadium.

The Anschutz Entertainment Group, owner of the team relocating from San Jose, Calif., would share a new stadium with Houston high school athletes under one deal being considered by school and soccer officials.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We previously wondered whether they'd do a more limited redevelopment of the existing stadium or start over with a new structure. Glad to see that they're leaning toward a new building.

Also, just FYI for fans outside Houston, Bill Murphy is the Houston Chronicle's beat writer for UH athletics, so he'll probably have more about how things progress with the modifications and improvements and Robertson.

3. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good news!!!

4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I sure would love to start a campaign writing Dave Maggert the U of H AD telling him why he should not install Fieldturf. If Maggert wants MLS to be a long term solution for U of H, he could put that $4 million in his athletic coffers and stick with grass.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed Murphy to see if he knew anything about whether the FieldTurf installation will have permanent markings. He said he wasn't sure but would look into it.

I know some hardcore UH football fans who are very happy to get FieldTurf, but are also, believe it or not, worried that the football field will have permanent soccer lines. :D

Edited to add the response that I got from Richard Murphy about the markings for the new FieldTurf at Robertson:

6. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to see the Chron putting out soccer-related articles almost daily.They are all positive and seem eager and happy to have a team in Houston.

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So. Paint in water-soluble green the american football lines and then add water-soluble white lines? :confused:

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that's what they did at one point with the permanent football markings at Rice-Eccles for a USWNT game?

[​IMG]

9. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    That's what they do for Real games, and it looks crappy IMO.

10. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Delmar - it's only about 20 minutes away from where I live... :cool:

11. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i agree... that just reminds every non-soccer fan watching the game: i can't wait to watch american football.

hopefully it will just be a temporary solution...