Houston Gets Tough

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, May 5, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Schools To Fire Six Teachers in Cheating Scandal
    Thursday, May 5, 2005 Posted: 10:28 AM EDT (1428 GMT)
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/05/houston.schools.ap/index.html
    HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Administrators in Texas' largest school district said Wednesday they plan to fire six teachers and demote two principals and an assistant principal after finding evidence of cheating on state tests at four schools. Houston Independent School District Superintendent Abe Saavedra said three other district employees, including a principal, will receive formal reprimands...

~

Thoughts? I am curious on the reasons/reasoning put forth by the teachers, as the article details the teachers deliberately helping the students with the test answers.

2. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Sad commentary but when so much school funding is based on test scores alone, it is not surprising these schools officials chose to sacrifice their morality for money.

Our own school district places a GREAT deal of pressure on testing results for just this reason. $$$$$ Teachers are REQUIRED to spend one full week just on prep for STAR testing. Much of that time is teaching the FORMAT of the test and things like how to eliminate 2 of the 4 choices on a multiple choice test which results in the student then having a 50/50 chance of "guessing" the correct answer instead of 1 in 4. :rolleyes: Now I'm just guessing here but I don't think that strategy is going to be of much help to these kids in the future. ;)

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) You're an ignorant troll completely uninterested in an actual discussion, but you clearly crave attention, so you keep coming back here.

2) regarding your sacriligious deification of Pope Benedict, whose religious practices you have no understanding of whatsoever, I can only respond with a quote:

"The needs of the poor must take priority over the desires of the rich, the rights of workers over the maximazation of profits, and the preservation of the environment over undcontrolled expansion, production to meet social needs over production for military purposes....

"The poor people and poor nations... will judge those people who take these goods away from them, amassing to themselves the imperialistic monopoly of economic and political supremecy at the expense of others."

So, in short, quit pretending to know anything about education, and quit pretending to be religious when it's clear from everyone of your posts all you worship is power.

Assuming you're not a sociological experiment or a sock-puppet.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This passes as legitimate discourse on education, specifically Houston story posted? Do you beat children in your spare time? What do you have to say on post topic? Anything?

Again, what do you have to say on post topic of education in Houston? Anything? And if you wish to chat on Catholic Church dogma or the specific religious beliefs of his Holiness Benedict XVI, or Vatican policy please do, but let's do it in Latin?

Oh you've made it clear you think you know everything there is to know about education Mel! And you've made it clear parents aren't suppose to know anything! Again...do you beat children in your spare time?

What about posting on topic? You have anything at all to say about Houston story, or is this just one more of your drive-by derailings of post topics?

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bite a fart.

You can't even read English. Anyway, tell you what: You respond to the passage I quoted, I'll respond to your initial post. Here it is again for your convenience.:

"The needs of the poor must take priority over the desires of the rich, the rights of workers over the maximazation of profits, and the preservation of the environment over undcontrolled expansion, production to meet social needs over production for military purposes....

"The poor people and poor nations... will judge those people who take these goods away from them, amassing to themselves the imperialistic monopoly of economic and political supremecy at the expense of others."

Mel? Whatever. Anyway, you're the one with the obvious obsession with beating children.

Only that the fact that you keep posting things from CNN leads people to conclude you're some lefty's sockpuppet.

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense but I agree with the good Dr. You dont want to hear anything we have to say about this article. You have your mind made up already so there is no point in even engaging in a dialogue with you about anything.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's sad is that:

1) I agree with you completely; and
    2) Nothing you just said--or anything I could add--will make one iota of sens to anybody (like IntheNet) who is convinced testing is a cure-all for educational ills.