Houston get Quakes

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by kingjackdaniel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official. Good bye San Jose :(

Very Sad.

What do you all think of Houston?

2. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber hopes to be back by 2007! Is this believable?

I'm very sad to see the end of this great rivalry between SJ and LA. Those were great games this past year.

It's hard to swallow that a team with Championships is gone.

3. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    It's sad, but Spartan stadium was absolutely trash... Hope they will have a better stadium in Houston...

4. Dfeated

Dfeated Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Will the "Earthquakes" name be changed?

5. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    It better be or else we are in Jacksonville Tea Men territory.

6. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    This is my question too....

Earthquake in Houston??? naaah...

so what's the name...maybe we'll find out more tomorrow?!? :confused:

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Houston team will have a different nickname.

From MLS' press release:

"The City of San Jose and Major League Soccer have signed a Letter of Intent which provides a wide variety of support elements, including a stadium financing plan, to attract a local investor for an MLS expansion team in San Jose as early as 2007. The details of the Letter of Intent will be voted on at a future San Jose City Council meeting. The Earthquakes name, colors and competition records have been retained by MLS for this future expansion team."

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20051215&content_id=49527&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

Houston becomes new home for Earthquakes

9. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    According to the MLS website, the name San Jose Earthquakes is being retained by MLS to be given to any franchise that may come into San Jose in the future. Houston will be playing under a new identity, to be unveiled in the near future.

10. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may be playing under a new identity but we all know that they are the SJE. Imagine if Houston wins the SS, USOC, and MLS Cup.

11. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS should expand more teams to SoCal and Texas. Then they can have a three division league - Texas, Los Angeles and Eastern Seaboard Corridor.

I can't wait to fall asleep before halftime of the Houston vs RSL/Chivas games next year [that they will be stuffing down my throat on The Douche].

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    What about it? It will be their first win officially just as it has happened in other leagues.

13. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Maybe the new Earthquakes will opt to go back to their original red.

A sad day indeed for SJ fans. You deserve better…

14. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Its not really the 'new earthquakes'.

The Quakes have basically just been put dormant, and the rights to a franchise have been moved to Houston. (along with all the players...)

As far as I am concerned, and I am sure many others, Houston's team is not the same as San Jose's team. Especially in light of the arrangements being made reserving the colors, kit, records, and trophies of the old San Jose team, for the new one.

15. jkcoolr

jkcoolr New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know where they will play in Houston?

16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the Houston paper, www.chron.com

The announcement by AEG concerning the move will take place at 10 a.m. today at City Hall. Among those expected in attendance are AEG president an CEO Tim Leiweke, team coach Dominic Kinnear, Houston Mayor Bill White and other city and league officials.

Garber declined to comment on where the franchise will play in the upcoming 2006 season. It's likely, however, Houston's team will call Robertson Stadium home.

17. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

They will announce it tomorrow but I think it will be Robertson Stadium. It is a great temporary soccer stadium. Location not so great but when Alexi Lalas played in it a few years ago in an MLS game he said the stadium was awesome and reminded him of the stadiums in Europe. We will see tomorrow.

18. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston to Welcome New MLS Team at City Hall on Friday

http://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...ses/?id=3250047

NEW YORK (Thursday, December 15, 2005) - Houston Mayor Bill White will join AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke along with the players and head coach of Houston's new Major League Soccer team in an event which will be held on the steps of City Hall on Friday, December 16 at 10:00 a.m. CT (11:00 a.m. ET). The name of the team's home stadium, season ticket information and other details regarding the new club will be unveiled at the event.

AEG and MLS announced on Thursday that the city of Houston, Texas will become the new home of the San Jose Earthquakes. In addition, the City of San Jose and MLS signed a Letter of Intent which provides a wide variety of support elements for an MLS expansion team in San Jose as early as 2007.

HOUSTON WELCOMES NEW MLS TEAM AT CITY HALL

WHAT: Houston welcomes new MLS club at City Hall

WHEN: Friday, December 16, 2005 10:00 a.m. CT (11:00 a.m. ET)

WHERE: City Hall Steps - - 901 Bagby

WHO:

Houston Mayor Bill White

Oliver Luck, CEO, Harris County Houston Sports Authority

Timothy J. Leiweke, President & CEO, AEG

Scott Blackmun, Chief Operating Officer, AEG

Shawn Hunter, President, AEG Sports

Dominic Kinnear, Head Coach, Houston MLS Team

Wade Barrett, Captain, Houston MLS Team

Pat Onstad, Goalkeeper, Houston MLS Team

Council Member Carol Alvarado, District I

Council Member Adrian Garcia, District H

Sylvia Garcia, Harris County Commissioner, Precinct

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In looking at the maps of City Council districts and the Commissioner Court precincts, it's pretty clear from this list that the ex-Quakes will be playing at Robertson.

20. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ignorant frikin' tool. You claim to live in Paris and you say Spartan Stadium is trash because you've been there? I think not. Do us all a favor and just leave BS altogether. You have nothing positive to say EVER in these forums and personally I'm sick of seeing your sorry posts here in the MLS section.

Oh and I'm upset that the Quakes are gone from SJ. I'm really torn for the supporters - I'll have a drink or 2 or 3 for you guys tonight. :mad: