Houston Fan in Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by houston_gunner, Jul 3, 2007.

1. houston_gunner

houston_gunner New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston
    Hey I'm going to be coming up for the Chicago game on 7-12-07. I won a trip to see my boys play and I wanted to get some information on the area of Toyota Park. I am staying in a hotel near the stadium and didn't know how the public transportation was around there. I come from Houston where public transportation is nonexistent. Is there a rail line near the stadium that could get me into downtown and would it be advisable to take it late at night? I am bringing a girl with me, so I need to know if it is pretty rough riding the trains. Plus, I plan on going to the Astros vs Cubs game also the next day.

All in all, I am trying to decide if I should rent a car or rely on cabs and trains. I would like to not have to spend the money on renting the car and use it towards drinking some good beer.

Any help would be great and I would let the rest of my Texian Army boys go easy on you lot the next time ya'll are in town.

2. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    If it were me, I probably would not rent a car.

Ask your hotel if they run a shuttle to Midway Airport. The orange line runs from downtown to the airport. So, if you can get your hotel to drop you there and pick you up, you can get into the city. The train is definately safe and costs $2.

A cab from downtown to Midway is about $30.

I'm guessing you will end up taking the L into the city and cabbing it back, will spend about the same on cabs as you would renting a car, but will not need to worry about drinking and getting lost.

3. houston_gunner

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston
    Alright, sounds good to me. It must be nice to live in a city with functioning public transportation. What is the Bridgeview area like?

Thanks for you help dabes2

4. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Have you seen Mad MAX? That is what the stadium area is like. In regards to Bridgeview proper. Have you read Hard Times by Dickens or even Turkel. The word depressing comes to mind.

5. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Stay up by Wrigley, or more downtown and take the bus from the Globe Pub. $10 for the round trip and all the PBR you can choke down. Youd rather spend your free time around that part of town.

http://www.theglobepub.com/

6. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Days Inn Chicago Lincoln Park is a good, affordable hotel near the train and an affordable cab ride downtown. From there you can take the Brown Line to the Orange Line and enjoy a very safe ride out to Midway and Toyota Park.

Catching the bus at the Globe is a fine way to go as well. There's nothing like an ice cold PBR to celebrate a Fire victory.

7. futbolfirefan

futbolfirefan Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Hah, I walk faster than the CTA bus.

8. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Chicago
    You're staying in a hotel "near" Toyota Park? Try to move a little farther north, there isn't much to do near Toyota Park.

Like an earlier poster noted, you'll have more fun on the north side of town. Toyota Park is really out of the way and while there is a shuttle bus that goes there from the Midway Airport Orange Line stop, I don't know how reliable that is. A bus from the Toyota Park all the way to the North side would take a long time.

9. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I agree w/ the folks saying better to stay up north if you can. I was assuming the hotel was part of the reward deal and that was a given.

10. houston_gunner

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston
    The hotel is part of the package, that is why I was wondering if renting a car would be best. I don't know all of the details of the trip so far. I won it a few days ago and I am still in shock. So now I am trying to figure what I can get out of them. I would much rather stay farther north, but I guess beggers can't be choosers.

I am really look forward to seeing the whole section 8 in action. I am always in the middle of the Texian Army & El Battelon so I never really get to see the other supporters groups in action (we don't count the Inferno from Dallas.)

Here's to a good game and a goal fest (Dynamo +1)

11. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can get from the hotel to the Midway CTA station, you can (1) take the Pace bus from there to Toyota Park and (2) take the Orange Line downtown. The Orange Line is fine, but it doesn't run from about midnight to 4 a.m.
    If you're going to the Astros game too, it's quite a hike via CTA (or anmy form of transportation) from Midway to Wrigley Field. You're nearly going from one end of the city to the other. You have to allow a lot of time.
    Rent a car? Forget it. Parking at Toyota Park is $15; it'll be at least $20 at Wrigley Field, for the privilege of sitting in a huge traffic jam. You'll be happier that you came and left via the CTA.
    As far a Bridgeview is concerned, well, Chicago is better than Bridgeview. The area around the stadium is indescribable. There are things there, but there is nothing there.

12. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Fly from Midway to Ohare then take el.

13. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Not really. From Midway to downtown is about a half hour, and from downtown to Wrigley is about 20 minutes. You transfer once, from Orange to Red. Maybe a little over an hour, which is about half of what it would take to drive and park.

14. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully you'll walk in front of a moving bus on the morrow and I won't have to read the crap you post here. Joking or otherwise.

* Note to Houston fan: Ignore anything posted by 'Super Sting'.

** Repeat: See above.

15. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you allow 50 minutes to get from Midway to Wrigley Field, you'll miss the first three innings of the game.
    1. Wait for the Orange Line train at Midway - 5-10 minutes.
    2. Ride to Roosevelt Road -- Yeah, about 25-30 minutes
    3. Go downstairs to the Red Line station and wait for the Red Line -- 5-10 minutes
    4. Sit (or stand) on the Red Line as it c r e e p s toward Wrigley Field - 35-40 minutes.
    5. Fight the crowd from the Addison Street station to Wrigley Field - 5-10 minutes

Remember, these are out-of-towners who haven't done this before, have to stop and read the signs, won't know to run for a train, etc. Total: 75-90 minutes FROM THE MIDWAY STATION. How long will it take to get there form the hotel?

16. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    And I hope I never have to read on the morrow again in this forum.

Cheerio lassie!

17. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing you don't read what you write.

:p