Pre-match: Houston Dynamo vs Metapan: Wednesday, October 21st 9:00 PM CT

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Dre00, Oct 18, 2009.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2009.
  1. Dynamo Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Metapan Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Team receives 23 red cards going through customs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamba Osaka beat the sh*t out of us - beat Dynamo 6-1..:D

2. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and I stayed up till like 2AM to watch that game....

3. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think it would be narrow-minded to say that winning in these international tourneys doesn't matter or will do little to change the opinion that fans of other leagues have. It already has. In speaking with FMF fans, I've noticed that they don't look at our team as a joke or easy win. They actually see a tough battle on their hands. And that's a small victory for our team and league in my opinion.

So I definitely agree with Dre. Let's keep playing these FMF teams hard and go for wins and the respect will grow even more. The respect for their quality of play is already on this side....soon it will be on theirs. :)

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that Bare guy for Osaka - big guy who could score. God, that was awful to watch

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's moved around since then, I think last year he was in Saudi Arabia or somewhere. He was really good in that game, though. Sort of like Landin will be next year.

6. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    No Clark or Weaver against Metapan (and probably against Chivas as well). From the Dynamo website:

Going to be very shorthanded Sunday if Ching and Weaver are both out, and against Metapan that means that no Landin or Weaver. Ching and Oduro up top, with Thompson as the only other available forward.

Weaver seems to be very injury prone, not so sure that trade has worked out very well for the Dynamo this year.

Sounds like the team has 20 healthy bodies now, and 11 of those are keepers or defenders (counting Cameron as a defender). Only 9 healthy midfielders and forwards (Ching, Landin, Thompson, Oduro, Mullan, Holden, Davis, Ustruck, and Hayden). Others have commented how the makeup of the roster is pretty messed up right now, there are no real offensive options off the bench.

For Metapan, with Landin ineligible, there are only 19 possible players, with 16 field players. If Dom goes with a Reserve heavy lineup, it might look like this:

---------- Ching/Thompson -- Oduro ---------
    Davis -- Hayden -- Holden/Cameron -- Ustruck
    Barrett -- Robinson -- Cochrane -- Waibel
    ------------- Hall -------------

Bench: Chabala, Hainault, Boswell, Mullan, Onstad, Ching/Thompson, Holden/Cameron

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things: (1) as I reiterated on the Galaxy post-game thread, we have somehow managed to end up with lopsided (or backline-sided) roster, with very little legitimate depth upfront with cards and injuries (boy, that Kamara deal looks REALLY GOOD now - you couldn't just figure out a way to coexist for 6 weeks could you Dom); (2) if the Pachuca-Unido result does not go our way, I could see Dom pulling Holden, Davis, even Cameron at the half to save them for Sunday vs. Chivas. If the game becomes meaningless, you would only use it to play guys who didn't play this weekend.

Mullan is out on card accumulation.

8. J Coog

J Coog New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Houston, Texas USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There goes our street cred in Kyoto...and a decent sushi roll...

9. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positive Vibes!

10. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's gonna be a long day at the bar. Anyone else going to the Mezz to watch Pachuca?

11. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    At this time I do not have a ride for tonight... I am checking on an option as of this moment...

12. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Clark out, I'm guessing Cameron pushes up to take his spot. The silver lining to Ching being suspended for Sunday? We probably would have seen Thompson and Oduro start this game if he hadn't.

-----------Ching---Oduro------------
    ---------------Holden---------------
    Davis---------------------------Cruz
    ---------------Cameron-------------
    Barrett---Boswell---Robinson---Waibel
    ----------------Hall------------------

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see that line up but Ustruck will get worked in there somehow. I don't know how versitile Cruz is but playing against a Guanaco side and us needing the result I wouldn't mind him playing Right Back and Cameron start at Right Half.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing Cameron get some PT up top if our '08 twin Centerback pairing of Eddie and Bobby are fit to go. Geoff's goal against Dallas on opening day last season needs the opportunity to happen more given the Landin Cup Tie situation we find ourselves in and complete lack of faith I have in Oduro and Jebus...Thompson. Ching with Geoff over Ching with Oduro starting out. Oduro is a final 10 minutes player at best.

Going all out in attack Dom can go:

----------Ching Cameron
    ---Davis Ustruck Holden Hayden
    -----Wade Eddie Bobby Cruz
    ----------------Hall

I'm actually having a good day at work all things considered. Trying not to think about going trophyless for another season and on top of that not making the Knock Out stages of our regional championship.
    Mostly I am ok at the office because I plan to post up at Frank N Steins off of 6 where an American can still smoke inside a sports bar and thus watch live CCL action and UCL replays on two screens all tonight long. By our Naranja kickoff I will be either let down from the Tuzos lack of defending their house or just right for causing a scene at a sports bar. VAMO NARANJA!
    They have some very hot buffalo wigs there as well. Called FEAR FACTOR and I get them every time as they get washed down with unusually cold bottled beer.

14. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ching plays I will be so happy!

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I thought about this also-not a bad idea, why the hell not? It's not like we have a shortage of CBs. I wouldn't even mind bringing Chewie on the left if we need to press in the second half for a goal, to save Brad a bit for Sunday.

I also hope we see Danny on the right. With Mully coming in off the bench if we need it.

I think we go for it if Chuca wins. We have a better chance with this competition right now than the MLS playoffs (with possibly not having home field and the rash of short term injuries and cards) so let's go balls to the wall tonight if warranted and then rest and hit it hard in March. All while seeing what happens in MLS.

Of course I would wonder who plays if the game if the match turns out to be meaningless. We may see the trainers and CC suit up.

16. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <----debates when to open first beer today

17. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Cruz is injured...he's tweeting about going to get treatment and eating at Ruggles so unless Ruggles opened a location in ES, he didn't even make the trip.

Maybe that means Cameron on the right with a flat 4 midfield instead of the diamond?

18. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Dynamo site, 18 players made the trip, including 3 GK. The players that missed the trip probably are Ashe, Clark, Cruz, Landin, Mullan, and Weaver.

19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I wonder if Pat made the trip-or if they sent Tyler. Regardless that means only five on the bench. Pretty sure we won't see Hainault. Abe is not a viable option-so in reality there may only be three subs.

20. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo website says that all 3 GKs made the trip, so that means Pat will be there and will be either starting or on the bench with Deric. If Pachuca doesn't win, you think Deric will get his first start?

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious as to why Abe is not an option. He played against Arabe Unido at home. Why would he not be an option in this situation? Especially given all the circumstances?

22. ponte_la_naranja

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He means he is an option, but Abe is treated as not an option, because he can't do anything against anyone.

23. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I don't see why there is so much hate for Abe already. He played one full game. Held the ball up well but missed a couple of opportunities he should have done better with. Name a forward that doesn't have games like that. I don't see why having him as a #4 or #5 option after Ching/Landin/Weaver is a bad thing. He and Oduro can battle it out for minutes. Oduro's speed makes him a better compliment but in games like tonight where Landin and Weaver are both not available. He is a more than solid #3 option in these games.

24. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate is the mood of the forum. I'm pretty sure that we're all 3 seconds away from going Brian Ching on someone.

25. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    LOL repped. Going Corey Ashe on someone would be more violent, but we get what you're saying