Houston Dynamo v. LA Galaxy, Sunday, October 9

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 3, 2022.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2022.
  1. Dynamo win

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. On to next year!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. LA Galaxy
    When: Sunday, October 9 @ 4:00 pm CDT
    Where: PNC Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: LA Galaxy (13-12-8) 4th, MLS West
    Houston Dynamo (10-17-6) 13th, MLS West
    TV: AT&T SportsNet
    Radio: TUDN Radio 93.3 FM (spanish)

This is the 34th league game for Houston and for LA Galaxy this season.

The Dynamo beat LAG, 0-3, out in California in May of this year. The last time the Galaxy came to Houston was a 0-3 loss for the Dynamo in October of 2021.

Galaxy are 2-1-2 in their last five league games, scoring 9 goals and allowing 8. Their most recent MLS game was a home draw,1-1, against RSL on Saturday, October 1. Galaxy are 5-7-4 in away league games this year. LAG has clinched a playoff spot.

The Dynamo are 2-2-1 in the last 5 league games, scoring 7 goals and allowing 7. Houston is 6-5-5 in home league games so far this year.

This game ends the 2022 season for the Dynamo. The 2023 season will start in February.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Galaxy @ Dynamo, all-time:

06/03/06 HOU 2-1 LAG
    08/09/06 HOU 0-1 LAG (@ Reliant Stadium)
    04/08/07 HOU 0-0 LAG
    10/07/07 HOU 1-2 LAG
    10/18/08 HOU 3-0 LAG
    10/18/09 HOU 0-0 LAG
    04/10/10 HOU 0-2 LAG
    10/23/11 HOU 3-1 LAG
    05/26/12 HOU 2-1 LAG
    05/17/14 HOU 1-0 LAG
    07/25/15 HOU 3-0 LAG
    04/15/16 HOU 1-4 LAG
    10/16/16 HOU 0-1 LAG
    09/27/17 HOU 3-3 LAG
    05/05/18 HOU 3-2 LAG
    10/06/19 HOU 4-2 LAG
    02/29/20 HOU 1-1 LAG
    10/20/21 HOU 0-3 LAG

That's 9-6-3 with 27 goals scored and 24 allowed.

This is the 40th game for the Dynamo, home, away and neutral, in all competitions against the Galaxy.
    That is the 3rd most common opponent behind the 53 games against Kansas City and the 50 against Dallas. Colorado is next most with 39.

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo win 4-1 because why not?!?!?

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday with kickoff @ 4:00pm (16:00)
    Which in years past, the afternoon games in early October, under direct Sun can be hit or miss. One season ending match in October had women and children getting heat stroke and some passing out. It was 100 degrees+.

5. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    That 6-5-5 record is screaming for another 6. Just not sure which is getting upgraded.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Kickoff time on Sunday is set for 4:18 pm CDT

7. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    At least it's mercifully over.

Ethos, CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    hopefully this ends all the bundy talk

every single goal we had plenty of bodies back -- outnumbered the opponent -- but seemed unfamiliar with "marking" and "tracking" basic concepts. when i see 4 backs in a neat line but no one on the shooter i get grouchy. and then as davis noted on at least one of the goals that's also where vera could -- and often should -- also be back helping.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard time seeing this team making much of a leap forward next year with Vera being a core part of the midfield as Onstad and others have claimed our core 3 in the middle are HH, Coco, and Vera

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, its finally over - another dismal season for the Dynamo. I won't bother to put the figures together but the Dynamo have to have the fewest amount of points total in MLS for the last 10 years. Missed playoffs in 8 of 9 years. Even Cincinnati has sort of turned it around. I guess Chicago and San Jose have had their fair share of stinkers in the last decade.

7seven7 repped this.
  11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go a goal up.
    Surrender 3 and lose. At home. To LAEG no less.
    Glad this season is over as well.
    Onwards to the World Cup!

Still...
    DALE DYNAMO! Love our jersey!
    FOREVER ORANGE!
    Where did that slogan go?!?
    Oh, yeah. Hold it Down.

Ethos repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they "holding it down" with that stupid Bob Marley song thing? I wasn't even at the game and could hear it during the pregame show.

And the game wasn't a sellout, they had tickets on sale from "Box Office" on SeatGeek up until after the game started. The team has fallen into this nasty habit of trying dynamic pricing on SeatGeek - they kept changing the ticket prices all weekend on tickets sold by Box Office.

nbrooks503 repped this.
  13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another beat down. Total LA domination. 2-1 possession in our own house. Anyone who finds that an acceptable "model of play" is on drugs. I swear the Dynamo have fallen so far they could get relegated in a league that doesn't allow for it.

Good ball by Dorsey: Right weight, not bouncy, allowed for a nice early cross by Baird, nice finish by Sebas. Only decent moment of the game for the Dynamo.

Good sized crowd. I was surprised. If they were to actually get that crowd often it would be pretty good. Also, there would be no room for me. No place for me to just go sit using my cheapo supporter tix since the club refuses to sell me the seats I used to have and want: Upper deck w/ club access. Unless they offer that to me soon then I will drop any season tickets at all.

Riddle me this from the official stats: How do the Dynamo take only 6 shots, score a goal with one, and LAG block six shots?

Props to the field crew. Pitch looks/plays fantastic. Football lines hardly visible. Best the pitch has been for a season ever.

*rey*, nbrooks503, 7seven7 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    So I was going to go with a fellow teacher. But at 1 his wife was involved in a car accident. I put the tickets on sale at 1:30 and they were sold by 2. That's crazy for a team out of the playoffs. I'm surprised there was that much demand. I'm also glad that I made some money off them instead of suffering through another home defeat.

15. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Saw my first fight at the PNC..El battalion beating up galaxy fans real classy of course police showed up at the end and security.....The people in the red shirts that do security are worthless I saw them just sitting around doing nothing while this was going on, but they will harass you if you are in the wrong seat.

smh

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #16 juvechelsea, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    none of whom IMO can defend their position well. coco constantly fouls, and HH and vera can't even keep up. but amusingly they seem to have all been picked as "two ways," a concept i despise when it's not someone like holden with actual productivity and a motor.

what they need at this stage, is pick one end of the field we are going to fix first, and do that, to the nth degree. the last finalist teams we had couple play defense if nothing else. playoffs. the 2017 team could attack. playoffs. one side of the field, fixed, puts you around the bubble.

this setup right now is let's play a nominally attacking 433 but with fairly defensive mids who then actually aren't that good of defenders. so you undermine the formation with the player types -- defenders for an attacking formation -- and then undermine the premise because they aren't the defenders they are sold as.

when i pout about raines, people seem to think i am pouting for the sake of doing so, but the only way out of this is change, and i just get the vibe that not a lot of change is coming. players like him are the wild cards where this could shift a little. but will they even play?

far as i am concerned we need to decide if the goal is to defend. if so, 433 is an awful choice. and the players suck to do it. conversely, if the goal is to play 433 and attack a la elis and manotas, you need to go sign elis and manotas and alex. it's like we want to do the three legged sack race while everyone else sprints normally. i do not understand. i think we have fanboy level GM and scouting work. the formation doesn't match the premise. the players don't fit together. we routinely sign duds. you can't be both bad and inefficient and do a thing about it.

i am not that impressed with nashville, RSL, minnesota, but they are well organized and out there with a purpose. like we used to be, albeit with weaker players. and they make the playoffs every year. like we used to.

i keep bringing up fashion follower because we come across like we have bought into things we don't fully understand and therefore cannot properly implement. i thought the most agonizing part of pat's talk was listening to him pimp organization concepts -- that aren't working -- and then almost openly contradict himself, then kick back over to "our way." stuff like whether we need a 10. i see that as happening where either someone rotely follows orders from someone who doesn't know their field, or when someone buys into a fashion they don't really get. like they have enough snap to at least have an inkling it's not working, but have orders, or feel compelled, and press ahead.

but then i think this is a similar issue with the USMNT. or i will watch my alma mater play someone who has no roster for a 433 but does it anyway. when i played 433 was what the dutch teams that didn't care how the results came out played, or what you played when you were down 0-2 in an elimination game. f*ck it, throw bodies forward. ironically, now that everyone does it, it cancels out on value and turns back into who has the better players. which we don't. this is no longer innovative for our time.

someone needs to open a deprogramming center someplace.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    side point -- when i heard the substance of this 4 pillars stuff -- as in like the supposed cultural change that has little or nothing to do with soccer -- it sounded like easterby and the texans, which is concerning.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hey, that's not fair: there was also a really nice sequence of short give and go passing that led to a point blank shot by Sebas that the keeper saved. So, there were two good moments.

Hopefully this pours cold water on the "hire Bundy" talk. I have nothing against Bundy, it is just that after consecutive hires with no top flight management (head coach or on the bench) experience I'm not keen to go down that road again. Plus, personally I don't believe what happens in the 5-6 matches after a coach is fired is representative of what you should expect over the course of a long season. Players, teams often step it up for a brief period when there is change. Especially near the end of the season when jobs are at stake.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  19. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had considered going, but the pricing for a decent mid field seat was ridiculous and my old seats in 105 were priced higher than $150.

20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    why y’all denying the Chicharito effect. SMH.

y’all deny the existence of the Mexican Yeti fan then turn your head when it shows up. a player like Chicharito would definitely have moved the attendance needle here in Houston. heck, even the not-so-popular HH moves it. didn’t y’all here the cheers when he subbed in?

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blanco and Chicharito are the only two that draw the Yeti in. I don’t think I’ve ever denied it on those two, they were difference makers in attendance. But the list is short

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same here, was considering going until I saw the ticket prices. the finale usually draws well and it was the Galaxy but whatever pricing algorithm the Dynamo was using on SeatGeek this weekend was really jacking up prices. At some point yesterday there was no ticket available under $50 with fees included, which when considering parking plus interminable lines for everything in the stadium seems crazy for a cruddy team. There was a batch of tickets that never sold - they had 4 Presidents Club tickets from team that started at $415 and ended up at $267 near game time.

What undercuts the claim about ticket scarcity is that there were no tickets posted on Craigslist and few on StubHub and alternate sites. For high demand sporting events there are usually a ton of folks trying to make resale profits, which is why I wonder if someone artificially restricts supply at times.

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuestro idolo dando nos su amor pa nuestro escudo.
    upload_2022-10-10_19-11-11.png

24. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Ummmmm, what!?!?

25. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    It’s just a shirt swap. A little odd he’s wearing it but I don’t see the big deal