Houston Dynamo v. Colorado Rapids, Saturday, August 14

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Aug 10, 2021.

?

Result?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2021.
  1. Dynamo win

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Remember when we tied instead of losing? Those were the good old days.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think many of us saw this coming and we don’t do this full time. They have only one job and they get paid full time to do it right and this happens. Fire everyone and let’s start from scratch. Even with a weak team, good coaches manage to pull wins here and there, we are talking about 3 months.

Ethos, Varus, CeltTexan and 2 others repped this.
  2. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1426758673339146241 is not a valid tweet id

Borrachin and Varus repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing against Tab, but let's hope this is true. Not that I want a meddling owner, but I want a passionate one.

Ethos, Borrachin, Varus and 2 others repped this.
  4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Tab does deserve some of the blame. However, what coach is going be successful with he was saddled with when he inherited the team?

Tab's big contribution to this has been to go along / not stop with some of the bad decisions in the last two years. Alot of player movment was out of his control like Elis etc. But the idea that Lundquist Ceren be resigned or that Dorsey was an MLS starter is pretty bad evaluation.

Ethos and CeltTexan repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed it is an uphill battle with the roster. But I think Tab hasn't helped himself either. The club essentially abandoned Barrett with almost no talent and he was able to scratch out some results. Ramos can't do that.

I'd like for Tab to have worked, but it might not be possible.

Also, what about these vaunted assistant coaches we claim to have? The same guys have been on the bench for like 5 years now under different regimes and we still suck

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    we have won 7 -- seven freaking -- games in 2 seasons. that alone, i don't want to hear it.

if you're like, we don't give him enough, we are in a lot of games at the half and even towards the end and almost uniformly they break the wrong way. the talent and spending don't help, but like i don't think he has any special magic to win the close ones.....and with our talent they are all going to be close.

Borrachin, Varus and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #32 juvechelsea, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    you yell at someone good having an off or low effort day. you don't yell at someone who's not even competent. you replace them. i don't care if he yells at ramos if he's back next week. pull the plug.

i mean, think about what you're doing. is he going to magically be a better coach for being yelled at?

you yell at dero taking a day off. he can do better. he can be motivated. you can't motivate crap. crap you either coach up or clear out.

there's a reason in recent years i shifted to criticizing the FO and coaching, which is it seems pointless criticizing mediocre or bad players for making mistakes. that's a personnel mistake. change the players and you get better execution and qualities and fewer mistakes. mind you, you coach up what you have while you have it, but on a basic level we're kind of doing what we should which just isn't much.

Varus repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.

The bright side of all this is that there were a decent amount of people at the game so at least the fans of our club still enjoy a night out for live footy. There is STILL hunger for live, pro soccer in our city even in the face of such a club that has been run into some pit of hell. There is the huge down side is of course everything we are talking about on this thread.
    This team is toothless in attack and just seems out of step with each other. Like husband n wife team spirit, NO COMMUNICATION!
    There is one other silver lining, in that last night our home game versus Colorado kicked off at the very same night and kickoff time as our city's Houston Texans in preseason away to Green Bay, thus we can rest easy that nobody around town was watching the Dynamo loss last night at home or at a sports bar or local pub as all the TV's were on the Texans game. The embarrassment was contained to the folks who actually went and lived through yet another home loss.

We did finally score at home as well, so there is that.

Still, love our club's colors and our proud history! FOREVER ORANGE!!!

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    also, at some point we veered from the sanchez holden oduro idea of the bench to this ceren and memo crap. IMO a tactically useful bench has future starters, skilled old hands, and players with special tactical qualities. we at some point decided in favor of a grinder bench of second rate players.

holden got to come in as a sub before he was trusted to start. oduro may have been frustrating but things would happen. sanchez would create chances. games would shift.

quintero is the closest thing we have to a player with tactically useful bench qualities and we have instead chosen to treat his exclusion as a matter of principle. they'd rather have lassiter or ceren out there.

it's that choice plus the fact we have no wingbacks and can't mark a set piece. if you want to win games late you need some tall, fast, skilled players who can come in and create. what is the "package" we have to win late? or is the whole team a pseudo meritocracy decided on hustle?

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #36 juvechelsea, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    per the game logs. parker has played all season. i think he's an ok back, not a $800k world beater we pay him, but serviceable to 35-45 GA which is where this was initially headed. lundkvist started into mid july and while he was part of the deterioration from W to T we were still generally tying games at that point.

the downturn to losses coincides with the signing of hadebe and elevation of junqua.

i bring this up because i don't see a junqua brigade but i do hear people chatting up hadebe, who is a DP which means at least $612k and most likely Struna Money. we are paying $2M for center backs and as the season progresses and we go from parker plus a honduran to hadebe we're eroding towards ~50 GA.

this kind of points to the basic problem with jordan, which is we were south of the line with lundkvist, who sucks, but we started trying other wingbacks and it actually gets worse. if the idea is lundkvist is not long for the team, and we're south of the line, you might as well try things, but junqua isn't working and we're getting worse. try hoffmann or someone else.

but hadebe might be even more problematic for absorbing a DP slot on a cheap team. i think they had the idea you add a CB to a team chalking up 1-1s and maybe we start winning some 1-0. we have instead gone to 3-1 or 3-2. this is why jordan's mitts need off the team.

one could see a microcosm of my theory in the colorado game. we were 1-1 with figueroa as a LB, who even earns a PK. he comes off and it deteriorates to 3-1. not sure why we haven't tried something like

figueroa hadebe parker boniek
    or maybe even tried hadebe wide and figueroa middle

or maybe try jones or hoffmann back there

you can see though where it's like a satanic mix of jordan and ramos, jordan finds crap, ramos dutifully trots the crap out there, can't properly assess how to try and fix it, makes it worse. dorsey? junqua? you're going the wrong way son. what's telling on ramos is i think most of us could come up with some sort of patchwork back 4 who wouldn't be this bad. it would be patched up, and maybe ramos' mind flees that, but when we were winning boniek was a starting back. patched up it is.

fwiw i thought ramos' u20s were loaded and actually underperformed. this is the problem with judging a coach by finish as opposed to what they accomplish relative to a roster. and he has run screaming from a youth movement. at which point i could pick better veterans than he does.

Borrachin repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    along similar lines, we have had quintero and for part of a season ramirez around, should have been about 10-15 goals' worth. at least. we're playing memo and lassiter.

midfield is a jordan train wreck, like wingback. but forward is ramos.

12. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    You can't excuse Tab's choice in subs. No matter what else, his choices off the bench have been beyond baffling. This was probably not picked up on the game cameras and I might have been the only person who saw it, but when Fafa came off last night he was pissed. He threw a wattle bottle that almost rolled on the pitch. Took his pads out and let them flop on the ground in disgust.

I don't know, but I wonder if he was mad at who he was taken out for? Corona and Valentine off the bench while we are down? In what universe is that the call to make. We had Memo and Bajamich available.

Nobody knows what he is doing, and it's not some new 3d chess way of coaching. It is a cluster and it's embarrassing.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not see that reaction with Fafa.
    For sure, Corona and Valentine entering the game when we are down late on is not my first choices either.
    And here I was thinking that our 2021 Season was going to be better than 2020.

Ethos repped this.
  14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    The first thing I had a problem with in the game was starting Carascquilla and Vera together and a lack of understanding who was supposed to be where...
    Vera normally plays centrally in front of the defense alot of times even deeper than D. Jones who has kid of taken over the #6 role. Carascquiila was dropping back centrally to pick the ball up and start the possession and it seemed very confusing to Vera who had nowhere to run but make vertical runs up at the Colorado back line. This obviously is not his forte and the team really looked bad in possession.

This new Panamanian seems to be playing in a role Vera had centrally with Vera and everyone else just confused as to what to do.

I think the plan just wasn't well thought out - if the new guy is playing centrally wouldn't someone be better out wide than Vera - he's got what two goals and 3-4 assists for all his years w us? He's good for possession but he isn't good offensively.

Dorsey has to be the softest guy I've seen, did he win any challenges last night. What position was he supposed to play because he sure sucks at defense. Not sure if he was supposed to be a right back or what.

Tab switched key players and formation and it was a disaster. I am sure he did that because our offense just isn't scoring goals to win games.

15. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Fafa is the only guy I would keep and his touch in the final third isn't good but at least he generates offense by causing alot of turnovers and keeps defenders on their heels w speed. In the midfield I would keep only Baird Memo and Pasher.

Everyone else in the midfield and front line needs to go.

Keep Parker Hadebe

Get a US keeper who is cheaper than Maric

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did like this new Panamanian Carascquiila on his debut and certainly I want to keep Jones at D-mid.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  17. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The downturn has more to do with the offense. Lowest xG in the league and the guys who added any spark (Pasher or Urriti) have been at Gold Cup or hurt. All I can say is the worse it get maybe the more the new owner will change. You don't want some magical run where we almost make the playoffs or even worse do make the playoffs. Then they will see proof of concept and reup it again. They better make a serious GM hire. Not poaching one from a middle to bottom MLS team.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  18. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Yeah you are right. I do like D. Jones back there as D mid - I forgot about him.

The whole team looked disjointed last night and possession / creativity was pretty low last night - got to believe introducing a new player into the middle and changing formation was a big reason.

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Anyone who sees that run and keeps things the same isn't paying attention and should fire their analysts.