Houston Dynamo v. Austin FC, Saturday, April 20

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 14, 2024.

?

Result?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2024.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Keep Austin Losing. That's their motto, right? It's something like that.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Austin FC
    When: Saturday, April 20 @ 7:30 pm CDT
    Where: Shield Energy Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Austin FC (2-3-3), 11th, MLS West
    Houston Dynamo (4-2-1), 3rd, MLS West
    TV: Apple TV
    Radio: Local Stream via Apple(English)/93.3 (Spanish)

This is the 8th regular season game of 2024 for Houston and the 9th for Austin. You need a subscription to MLS Season Pass to watch this game.

The Dynamo beat Austin twice at home in 2023: 2-0 in March and 2-1 in May. Austin won the game over there, 3-0, in June. This game will count as part of the 2024 Copa Tejas standings. The teams will play twice more this year in Austin on May 15 and September 21.

Austin is 2-2-1 in their last 5 league games, scoring 8 goals and allowing 9. Their most recent game was an away loss, 1-0, at St. Louis on April 14. Austin is 0-2-1 in away regular season league games this year. Their next game is hosting the LA Galaxy on April 27.

The Dynamo are 4-1-0 in the last 5 league games scoring 7 goals and allowing 4. Houston is 2-1-1 in home league games so far this year.

The Dynamo next travel to Dallas on April 27 before a home game against St. Louis on May 4 and then an Open Cup game on May 7/8.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Austin @ Dynamo, all-time:

09/11/21 HOU 3-0 AUS
    04/30/22 HOU 1-2 AUS
    03/18/23 HOU 2-0 AUS
    05/27/23 HOU 2-1 AUS

That's 3-1-0 with 8 goals scored and 3 allowed.

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beating austin and then beating dallas would sure be pretty pretty pretty cool

CeltTexan repped this.
  4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATX's Julio Cascante, starting center back, picked up his 5th yellow on Sunday. He will be suspended next Saturday.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm in St. Louis so I watched them play against Austin on Sunday. Austin is terrible right now. Didn't even record a shot on goal.

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"These guys are cowboys, man. They want to roll and win games."

OK. That is a world class quote.

Overall -- this presser is amazing. This guy is the real deal.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that means they come out Saturday night as world beaters, right?

ElNaranja, CeltTexan and DynamoManiac repped this.
  8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Fortunately I get the sense Ben knows this as he’s been in the Austin role a few times when he was DC’s coach. Ideally the boys are ready.

Bury these mfs

CeltTexan and DynamoManiac repped this.
  9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beware the hurting Green n Black Bat!

Bury these mudder puckers is right!!!

DALE DYNAMO!!!

10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would LOVE if we came out with our hair on fire and took it to these clowns the first 10 mnts

however

I'm not sure that can happen with our mandate that you have to pass the ball 50 times before we take a shot. I think it's clear the priority is to keep the ball & wear the other team down more than it is a go out and punch the other team in the mouth.

Either way, this should be a win and an easy one at that

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are just no easy wins in this league. Good teams are good because they know that and play hard every game, against every opponent, taking none lightly. They know your never as good as you think you are when you win, and your never as bad as you think you are when you lose. ESPECIALLY in MLS.

The Dynamo are playing the way these players naturally want to play. The way they enjoy playing. These players love playing this way and with each other. You can see it in their body language and in the results.

They like controlling the game via possession. Controlling the game that way or any other way happens to be the absolutely best way (in my opinion) to approach MLS. The teams that want chaos (NYRB, STL) struggle in the playoffs. Always have. Controlling the game is how you advance through knock-out football. It is the way Kinnear won. LAFC controls the game with a mid-block and counter, letting their opponent have the ball but only in their own half.

12. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017

This is a good template for what should happen, in a perfect world.

I'll settle for a comfortable 1-0 win where they have no chance though. Seems to be about the best we can do, more or less.

DonJuego repped this.
  13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A game like that could well cost Wolff his job.

So despite our perceived lack of offensive ability -- a perception I have shared -- the Glorious Houston Dynamo are one of only four teams that has scored at least a goal in every game so far, joining LA, Philadelphia and Vancouver in that category.

14. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    It's not perceived. We're not that great offensively. But all that possession does keep a team on their heels and that just invites mistakes and opportunities. If we had some semblance of firepower we could be doing some interesting work in front of goal.

And not for nothing but it's hard to run up a score if you barely touch the ball.

7seven7 repped this.
  15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  16. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight can the Dynamo please be orange? My perception of results related to shirt color is that nothing much good has happened in Purple, while the team is performing well in orange. As it should, being that we are orange and all. Forever orange.

ElNaranja repped this.
  18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Feels like a guy who took a hard stance and is clinging to it rather than admitting he might have been wrong.

TurdFerguson, ElNaranja, *rey* and 2 others repped this.
  19. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez. That guy Victor is a freakin dark cloud. He does have some fair concerns -- but he overstates them and demonstrates that he jumps to conclusions and wild statements based on his own subjective emotional biases rather than any sober quality analysis. In the end he does not make any meaningful contribution in my view.

DynamoManiac and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The giveaway tonight is some sort of a purple banner/flag, so guessing its purple tonight

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that came off really argumentative, not really analytical. Hey, I'll criticize the FO freely and the 2017 mirage was one that the underlying numbers didn't support the approach, but Olsen has really stabilized things and he's gotten us to winning games on the road, even if they are sort of stealing them at the end, he's gotten the buy in from players.

I'll say it this way, from what I've seen in the last season & a quarter, we've got professionals at the helm in the organization. I'll gladly take that after the last decade of disasters

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great
    Great atmosphere downtown tonight!
    And our men are in our Wildcatter Orange Don!!!

23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Fire Ben now!

I think that's what JC would say.

CeltTexan repped this.
  24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Frustrating game. Pretty sloppy but still should have won. Definitely shouldn't have lost but if you let a team hang around like that, every chance in the world they make you pay.

DonJuego and *rey* repped this.
  25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the game.
    Glad to see a packed house again and of course HH returns to the fold.
    Yet the work ethic and desire that Coach Olsen has instilled on our club is tangible and has turned our club around. However, there are several players that just have zero conviction to see the 90 minutes out as a professional should. This weakness in these players rears its ugly head late on in matches and the outcome is what we saw tonight, a mental lapse and a very weak Austin side squeaks out a late winner in our own house.

7seven7 and TurdFerguson repped this.