Houston Dash v Portland Thorns -- Inaugural Match

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by Heft, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    7:00PM Central
    BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston Texas

[​IMG]

It's Game Day!!!

2. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Beat of luck to the girls in orange.

Heft repped this.
  3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i think sinclair will eat them alive, but it would be nice for clive's season to start off on the wrong foot.

4. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Starting XI
    “@HoustonDash: Dash starting XI: McLeod ©; Romero, Ohale, Hein, Washington; Bock, Jackson, Edwards; Ohai, Masar, Ochs #DashOn #HOUvPTFC”

Bench
    “@HoustonDash: And the bench: Henninger, Diggs, Elston, McCarty, Noyola, Toulouse #DashOn #HOUvPTFC”

Edit: hmm the Rockets game tips off around the same time...

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8,000 + fans. Great!

Fiorentina lives! repped this.
  6. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Bock early and then Ohai left injured and that took everything out of whack.

Hard work, need time to fully sync.

McCarty is... um... slow.

The Nigerian defender Ohale stood her ground very well.

Ochs had the tie and skied it. She will think about that one for a while.

Overall, promising. Needs time to come together.

JC507 repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember a certain forward last season in that same situation, with the same result. Chance to tie and she shanked it.

8. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I like what I saw in the midfield, and back line. Many passes were intercepted by the Dash in the midfield. The defenders made good choices, and put on a clinic in tackles. Romero is a star. What a performance she had.

JC507 and Fiorentina lives! repped this.
  10. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Noyola started off a little cold (maybe) but as the game went on she began to really bring it. Good pass ideas; just that the sync between players needs time. If this game were next month, she would have had an assist or two.

Heft repped this.
  11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really liked the movement from line to line. The individual execution maybe have been off, but this team has a great system in place. I hate the 433, so that is saying something. The players really have to buy into it and each other for it to work, and that's exactly what happened last night.

You have to wonder how good they could have been with Bock & Ohai not going down so early.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    8,000, I hope it keeps up. If it does, I'd think LA enters the market in 2015.

Andère repped this.
  13. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    Hear hear!

My thoughts on the game:

- Great attendance and support from the Dash fans. I think sharing a stadium with their MLS counterparts has a huge effect on NWSL teams in their infancy ( with Portland as the prime example).

-Romero has an engine! She was tearing it up and down the pitch and making plenty of positive attacking contributions, while staying strong on defense. Best player on the pitch for me.

-I really liked Ohale and Ochs. Ohale was clinical and made excellent choices on defense, and Ochs was super technical and connected well with her teammates. Sour about that miss though, but not a real concern - it's early and those things just happen.

-Allie Long is a shot machine! Seriously, she might start sneaking onto my fantasy team.

-Angerer - Cool as a cucumber. Nothing seemed to phase her, like, at all. Awesome start to the season for her.

-Don't you guys just love the goalkeeping in this league? I mean seriously, everyone's a beast shot-stopper!

Heft repped this.