Houston Dash Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ImaPuppy, Oct 5, 2016.

1. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1287484321964740614 is not a valid tweet id

2. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    NWSL 2020 Challenge Cup
    Final

Sunday, July 26
    (4) Houston Dash 2-0 (6) Chicago Red Stars

That concludes the 2020 NWSL season.

I don't know how the league is going to categorize this win. They mostly call the Dash the Challenge Cup Champion but not league champion. It is still a piece of league hardware for the team.

All-time league trophy totals:
    5 - North Carolina Courage (2 NWSL Cups, 3 NWSL Shields)
    3 - Portland Thorns (2 Cups, 1 Shield)
    2 - FC Kansas City (2 Cups)
    2 - Western NY Flash (1 Cup, 1 Shield)
    2 - Seattle Reign (2 Shields)
    1 - Houston Dash (1 NWSL Challenge Cup)

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  4. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dash got it done...way to go ladies.
    Loved watching the game with my 8 and 10 yr old girls today.
    More of the same next season please!

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching as well and at the same time texting or on the phone with my female cousins that are older than me and that played the sport all their lives, why I have always been a follower and huge proponent of the women's game!

DASH CAMPEONES!!!

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Good for them. But in terms of a team that has historically struggled, what they need to do is this thing they call "building" off success. Like try and do it again and actively run the roster like it. Not just raise the ticket prices because you won Random Trophy.

7. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really...3 words of praise and the rest just bitching. Pathetic.

Enjoy the moment, if you are actually a Dash fan, and save any "constructive" advice/criticism for later.

*rey* and CeltTexan repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The team has existed for 6 years and never made the playoffs. If you look at who has advanced in MLS is Back so far, it's Orlando, Philly, SKC type teams. To me the female version should be taken like winning USOC for the men. If you recall what USOC for the men meant, it got us a fun trophy run, 2 rounds of CCL and then a long lousy season. I don't care if you don't like it, I know our organizational attitude. They will up the ticket price rather than build off the goodwill with fans or accrete a team that actually makes the NWSL postseason. Which is the realer deal. It's kind of like USOC for the men. Do I want more, or can they toss me a bone and not build off it.

Now is the time to demand the club build off the success. If you do what the men did and coast then this will soon enough be a blip in 7, 8, 9 years of no playoffs. Get off my back and get after the ownership to be a regular success.

By the time you would allow me to talk this will have fizzled away. Like basically I am allowed the equivalent of saying it didn't amount to anything later on when Cabrera is fired the following season. I can't prod them now knowing our behavior patterns?

9. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    *rey* and CeltTexan repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with what your stance is towards our owners and FO, I think Pen was going long on the idea of time and place. Time and place Juve. I.e. this thread, the day after our club has won some silverware (Waterford crystal ware) is not the time to hash out what ails our owners/FO nor is this thread dedicated to such discussion. Let us celebrate our ladies this month!
    That is all.

DASH CAMPEONES!!!

*rey* and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  11. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

*rey* repped this.
  12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    oh come off it

go back and look at threads the day after the USOC win

it was -- one breath -- yay -- next breath -- can they get off their tookus and write checks

if the idea is that a team even more deprived than us (never made the playoffs) should stay in wonderland instead of demanding more like this, you are doing them a disservice

far as i am concerned "not the time" has become the new censorship game, where precisely the time to have a discussion about an issue -- say, after a kid shoots up a school -- you deflate the issue "because not the time" and then when we return later on tell me nothing needs to change

by "the time" -- ie, when they miss the playoffs again -- we have already reinforced the old pattern and lost the new momentum

this is precisely "the time" to push for both teams

kelly garban and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen guy, It's me, someone who is willing to listen to you year after year. You are often like a trip to the dentist Juve. Your War and Peace long posts get tiring as is to read through, and I am one that keeps reading your thoughts so lighten up Francis.
    Secondly, the Championship match was fuc{in' yesterday homeslice! Chill the fuc{ down with taking digs at the club for just a few days. And if your in inpatient, buzz kill ass cannot do that then go start another thread. Title it "Our Club SUcks" and see how many people will follow your over there.
    Lastly, when our ladies miss the playoffs next season is a bit down the line. Like next Spring down the line. Like not even pre-season talk down the line away, so there is time to celebrate the here and now and then focus on the future at some other day. Again, por favor, chill.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve, I think you've really outdone yourself and anyone else here by somehow linking Columbine and school shootings to the Dash winning a one-off tournament!!! Well done, how about linking the Holocaust to COVID-19!!

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually concur with this. I'll make fun of the Brener comments and talk of this all of a sudden being a championship-level organization, but not to diminish the fun or thrill of winning, even if I generally don't think much of the whole social justice NWSL thing.

I just find it very ironic the Dash win a trophy in a year in which all of their "stars" or social media leaders (Mrs. Watt) and USWNT players aren't on the roster. I watched some of the game and late they specifically noted that the Dash had no USWNT allocated players on their roster.

16. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As silly as it is, Westside and Juve will not rest until we've built a couple of club juggernauts at the men and womens' level and pulled off a 6 trophy year(s) a la Barcelona back in 2009.

Until then I expect nothing but a constant stream of bitching and bellyaching no matter the level of successes or improvement by our clubs.

And the addition of whatever political axe Westside Cosmo want to throw in with the kitchen sink.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in the last 6 seasons of MLS and NWSL soccer for the Houston franchises (12 season combined), the club has missed the playoffs in 11 of 12 seasons. They have two modified competition trophies (USOC & NWSL Challenge Cup). That's not success, its arguably a losing culture and tradition

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kristi Mewis should be if she is not! She is the left winger that strolled into the Chicago 18 early on and got hauled down to earn a PK that was converted for the very early lead, this was 5 minutes in!
    Coach Clarkson appears to have been able to remove Mrs. Watt and USWNT players like Lloyd in favor of Daly a Three Lioness NT player and a Canadian NT player in Nichelle Prince. These three women formed the Quientero, Manotas and Elis trident of our Dash attack yesterday in the Cup Final.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct on a small front and more of a meh on the last points.
    Our men earned the National Championship trophy as handed out by our U.S. Fed year after year since before World War I. Many media pundits also kick pro soccer around in our sports culture for having little to none history only to run right over the very old and continuously held tournament called the U.S. Open Cup. It does not have the lore of the F.A. Cup or Copa del Rey from Euroland but it does have a vehicle for crowning an all division, domestic champion each year. I love it!
    The Challenge Cup is a COVID-19 set up and is what it is, don't go Juve on me Westie! Hahaha! Besides, Leo is celebrating upstairs for our ladies triumph!

20. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    CeltTexan repped this.
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me y'all got into that twitter link and took a look at all the pics and videos of our ladies and Coach Clarkson?!?
    The one of them celebrating back in their locker room with the beers n the Samosa battle chant is epic!!!

DASH CAMPEONES!!!

22. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was busy Sunday while the game was live but recorded it and watched Sunday night. What a great game and win for the Dash. With the rest of the NWSL season up in the air, this may end up being the de facto championship for 2020. Even if it isn't it was great to see the team work through the tournament and win it. I liked the well the defense play and how quick they were on the counter. I think Daly said something about how the team knows how they want to play and are able execute it.

CeltTexan and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct!
    She also responded to a question from the sideline game day reporter of how does this team show as a unit or the like and Daly simply responded with "Winners!" "We won this for Houston!"

DASH CAMPEONES!!!

24. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1287630071105310720 is not a valid tweet id

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sorry, but winning this tourney is not the same as a season or postseason league championship. This from the linked article

“The Dash became the latest H-Town champs over the weekend, joining the two-time NBA champion Rockets, the 2017 World Series champion Astros, four-time WNBA champion Comets, two-time MLS Cup champion Dynamo and Aeros teams that won championships in three different minor pro hockey leagues.

“For us it’s just a great city celebration like the Astros and Rockets or whenever a championship has rolled through Houston,’’ said Jon Schuller, Dynamo & Dash vice president of integrated marketing. “It’s going to be a great day to give the ladies their due.