Houston Astros 2005 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by quentinc, Mar 14, 2005.

1. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    For the first three games, it looks to be:

Clemens-Contreras
    Pettite-Buerlhe
    Oswalt-Garland

Also, should we go with Burke in the starting lineup, who has cooled off a little, or put Taveras back in, as he seems to be regaining confidence (and experience)?

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Dude, the White Sox have you guys way beat on the deserving-ness factor. We have gone through so much: agony, dispair, and oh yeah, Terry Bevington.

But you guys deserve it more than St. Louis. Nothing pisses me off more than guys living in Illinois cheering for the Cards.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to the Illinois cheering for the Cards remark.
    Should be a good series.

4. Landon Donovan

Landon Donovan New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Comiskey Park
    I CHEER FOR CARDINALS! Nothing makes me happier than seeing them above the stupid cubbies. I HATE THE CUBS!!! I HATE THEM!@!!!

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I concur.

6. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    This team has won three playoff series' in their entire existence. Trust me, I know that the White Sox have gone through alot, but we're not exactly pulling in a shitload of honors.

Either way, good luck. If any team from the AL deserves this, it's the White Sox.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game 1 was almost what I thought it would be. So if Clemens can't go again, who will start for him?

8. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    We will probably go with Pettite on short rest, because there's no one else who's good enough to start a game of that magnitude.

That was dissapointing last night, because we had a definite chance at winning. Also, after all the talk of their starters, I had no idea about the quality of their bullpen.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The playoffs have actually been the opposite of what Guillen has done all year. Usually he had his bullpen into games in the 7th and 8th. Cotts, and Politte each were in approx. 70 games apiece this year. The overall pitching staff for the Sox is really good, Marte is the only guy that the fans don't have a lot of faith in right now.

Clemens hurt is really bad for the Astros, Petitte is a guy the Sox know and have had decent success against in the past. Should be an interesting game tonight as it is going to be cold. It is already cool out now.

The Sox should have had at least 4 more runs last night, good pitching and D by the Astros last night. Looking forward to game 2.

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    True. Neither team did very well in capitalizing on their opportunities.

And you've got one hell of a third baseman.

11. hugasan

hugasan Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Man, things ain't going right for the Astros but we play pretty good at home. We have only lost 2 playoff games at home in the last two years? We got Oswalt going tomorrow and I'll be there, Section 321 Row7!!!! We can bounce back, we did last year with the Cardinals! And nothing has changed for the Stros, they dig themselves in a hole and then have to claw they way out.

If the White Sox end up winning this, I am cool with that. Beating the Cardinals brought enough of a satisfying feeling for me this year. But what's up with your fans pulling Craig Biggio wife's hair? Not cool....

Article

12. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    ********ing Tim McCarver ********ing needs to shut his ********ing piehole for the ********ing rest of this ********ing series... "I think the taste is out of his mouth," way to ********ing ruin it, you ********head.

Anyway, we showed great resiliency at the end of the game but got pretty much screwed by our bullpen, which is suprising. I'm confident that we can win them all at home, and I'll be there to cheer them on tommorow.:)

13. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    On Baseball Tonight, they said it would either be Wandy Rodriguez or Ezequiel Astacio. Both of them are too inexperienced and inconsistent for me, but I would rather have Astacio in.

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be interesting in Houston. The Sox have the best road record in baseball, haven't lost on the road in the playoffs yet, and still have their winningest going to the mound Tuesday. Garcia is 12-3 on the year on the road. He picthes best on the road.

Should be fun games to watch.

15. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Of course, the Astros are much more of a home team. I believe they had a losing or close to .500 record on the road this year, but were excellent at home.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's what I meant by it should be fun games to watch. Here you have one team that plays very well at home, and the other is the best on the road. Selig said that the dome will be open, that will hurt the Astros won't it? I think their record with the dome closed is better then with it open.

17. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    The dome is almost always closed, so I'm suprised they would have it open. It's certainly cooled off here in SA (relatively speaking), and if the weather is the same in Houston, I would be suprised if it's open. I guess I'll see, since I'll be there tomorrow!

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I saw you were going to be there. Have fun man. Sorry I can't say I hope your team wins, but I do hope it is a fun game for you except for the final score. :)

have a good time!!

19. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks. However, I think we deserve a win after you guys stealing one last night;)

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't, won't argue the hbp call on Dye. But even with that Konerko still had to hit the ball. Maybe it is karma, the Fire had a clear goal taken away in the 89th min. on a phantom foul.

21. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    wasn't that an own goal? if the keeper fouled anyone it was his own player

22. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Did anyone see Biggio's wife beat the crap outta that WS fan?

23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a story on that in the Tribune today, they said that Biggio's brother in law cornered the guy, but Chicago Police have not had a charge filed against him.

Stupid dumb ass who did that. No call for that type of crap.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...temaid,1,5108696.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Roof gate has come to the WS.

24. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
  25. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see now that MLB has ordered the dome roof open. Also the White Sox apolgize for Biggio's wife getting slapped.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5024112
    For the roof

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5023814

Dumb fan. Wish I knew who it was, would gladly kick his ass for being stupid.