Houston’s Other Sports Teams Talk 2.0 [NDR]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Beavis Stiffler, Sep 2, 2019.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The 2023 MLR schedule has been announced:
    https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/major-league-rugby-releases-2023-season-schedule/

Time are still TBD for some teams.
    Austin and LA are out of the league for this season. The league tried to find new owners but that didn't happen in time. Chicago is in as a new expansion team. Their name has not been announced yet. They will be in the West with Houston, Dallas, Utah, San Diego, and Seattle.

SaberCats schedule, all home games at AVEVA Stadium:

Sun. Feb. 19 @ Dallas Jackals 7 pm
    Sat. Feb. 25 v. NOLA GOLD 7 pm

Sun. Mar. 5 v. SAN DIEGO LEGION 2 pm
    Sat. Mar. 11 @ Seattle Seawolves
    BYE
    Sat. Mar. 25 v. RUGBY ATL 7 pm

Sat. Apr. 1 @ Chicago
    Sat. Apr. 8 v. UTAH WARRIORS 7 pm
    Sat. Apr. 15 v. DALLAS JACKALS 7 pm
    Sun. Apr. 23 @ Rugby NY
    Sun. Apr. 30 @ San Diego Legion

BYE
    Sat. May 13 v. SEATTLE SEAWOLVES 7 pm
    Sat. May 20 @ Utah Warriors
    Sat. May 27 v. CHICAGO 7 pm

Sat. Jun. 3 @ Toronto Arrows
    Fri. Jun. 9 v. OLD GLORY DC 8 pm
    Sat. Jun. 17 @ New England Free Jacks

2. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad we lost one of our in state rivals and a founding MLR team. And the Austin rugby community loses their pro rugby team.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Houston Roughnecks are back! The XFL returns for the 2023 season.
    There are again 8 teams in the league:

South Division
    Arlington Renegades
    Houston Roughnecks
    Orlando Guardians
    San Antonio Brahmas

North Division
    DC Defenders
    St. Louis BattleHawks
    Seattle Sea Dragons
    Vegas Vipers

Teams will play a 10 game regular season schedule followed by two rounds of post-season.

Roughnecks Schedule:
    (Home games at TDECU Stadium)
    Times are CT.

Sat. Feb 18 v. Orlando 7:30 pm ESPN/FX
    Sun. Feb 26 v. Arlington 6:00 pm ESPN2

Sun. Mar 5 v. San Antonio 7:00 pm ESPN2
    Sat. Mar 11 @ Orlando 6:00 pm FX
    Thu Mar 16 @ Seattle 8:00 pm FX
    Mon Mar 27 @ DC 6:00 pm FX

Sat Apr 1 v. St. Louis 2:00 pm ESPN2
    Sun Apr 9 @ San Antonio 2:00 pm ABC
    Sat Apr 15 Vegas 11:30 am ABC
    Sun Apr 23 @ Arlington 2:00 pm ESPN

The USFL also returns starting on April 15. The Houston Gamblers are still in that league but they will again not play any games here. It looks like the USFL will stick with hub locations for games. This year they look to play all league games at Birmingham, Memphis, and probably Detroit.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Major League Rugby starts its 6th season this weekend.

Most games can be streamed for free on the The Rugby Network anywhere in the world: https://www.therugbynetwork.com/
    Some games are on FS1/2 in the US and TSN in Canada.

Opening weekend schedule:
    Home team first, times are CT

Friday, February 17
    Rugby ATL v. Toronto Arrows 6:00 pm TRN
    NOLA Gold v. New England Free Jacks 7:00 pm TRN

Saturday, February 18
    Old Glory DC v. Chicago Hounds 1:00 pm TRN
    San Diego Legion v. Utah Warriors 6:00 pm FS2
    Seattle Seawolves v. New York Ironworkers 8:30 pm FS1

Sunday, February 19
    Dallas Jackals v. Houston SaberCats 7:00 pm TRN

The SaberCats' first home game is February 25.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    For lack of a better place to put this, I'll put it here since it is "other sports teams" though not pro.

@CeltTexan: You clearly know the youth soccer scene pretty well. I'm having a conundrum. We've been with Rise SC for 10+ years (in its various forms). I've got a like/hate relationship with Rise, though, so we've bolted a couple of times. Went to Westbury once but found the development training mediocre. Inner loop southwest/west end of the city (or just barely outer loop) there don't seem to be a lot of options. Suburbs, clearly spoiled for choice but my current active player - my daughter (2012 birth year) is not good enough to warrant hauling out to Katy, Sugarland or Pearland 3 times a week.

Any suggestions for clubs to look at? Albion possibly an option at their Spring Branch campus but the traffic between here and there is a nightmare.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, understand what you speak of. Looking for a good youth club is difficult enough but then getting to the one that fits for you son or daughter can be an even more difficult task as our city is so massive and spread out. Traffic and construction being a constant way of being for all of us looking to haul our kiddos to their extracurricular events. I will type out what I have seen over the years and send it to you via Messager.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Houston Roughnecks (XFL) are in the 2023 playoffs after winning the South regular season at 7-3!
    They will host the Arlington Renegades on Saturday night, April 29, at TDECU Stadium at UofH.
    Game time is 6 pm.

Tickets are here: https://www.xfl.com/teams/houston/tickets?rel=subnav
    Or you can watch on ESPN2.

The winner moves on to the Championship game in San Antonio on May 13 to face the winner of DC Defenders v. Seattle Sea Dragons.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  8. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The Houston Gamblers are also playing in their USFL game on that day. This may be the first time that both the Roughnecks and the Gamblers will have their respective games be played on the same day at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    This is kinda tough decision. I guess this is how sports fans in New York, Los Angeles, and even Chicago (2 baseball teams, Cubs/White Sox) are dealing with. Having 2 teams from the same city in the same sport on the same season playing at the same time.

The same goes for Manchester (City-United), Madrid (Real-Atletico), Monterrey (Tigres-Rayados), etc.

CeltTexan repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I, personally, am ignoring the Gamblers until they play a game in Houston. The Roughnecks game is also a playoff game so that seems like an easy choice.

I'm going to the Roughnecks' game so I don't have to pick on TV.

*rey* and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would say that.
    Our original Houston Gamblers played all their home games here in town at the Astrodome.
    Upon return of the USFL the league has decided to make their home field combined with the Memphis Showboats.
    I am not waiting on our Gamblers to play here in town. I was at their home games as a youth and enjoy that they have returned to action. The USFL league office will get the teams back to their respective home towns in good time.
    Roughnecks home games are tremendous fun! I am sure Gamblers home games will be likewise a great, affordable and enjoyable day out for gridiron. As our forum has always stated "Better football than the Texans"

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  11. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add further novelty to these teams it would be fun (funny?) to see a Texas Bowl between the XFL and USFL team.

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems legit. Would be very cool!
    With my crew of buddies, we spoke of if the NFL is dropping the Pro Bowl, then perhaps have the winning team of the XFL or USFL play the NFL All Pro team. I guarantee gridiron fans would dig that matchup!
    Or have the All Stars from both Spring leagues play the NFL All Pro players. Heck, have our city Houston host the event now that the NFL has left the tradition of playing the Pro Bowl in Hawai'i.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When speaking on how our very own Houston TV stations and their sports teams cover our MLS team 17 seasons into being in town, well Sports Sunday under Randy McAlvoy and his team just had zero film or even some run down of the big Houston Dynamo away match against FC Dallas from last night. Not even one mention. That is lame from Ch. 2 and Randy specifically since our city is going to cele6the World Cup here in our great city just three years from now.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They used to do a better job but as interest in the market has faded from the general public side, the coverage has been reduced. Local sports on the network stations news broadcasts have gotten skinner over the years.

Dom used to be on these shows on a semi-regular basis, at least a few times a year. Since he left I don't think any Dynamo coach has been on.

Its Astros, Texans, some Rockets, then the UT/A&M/UH story of the day and then HS sports.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.
    Its just this time of the year is the lean time of the year for all pro sports here in Houston. More so in that the Rockets are not playoff material. Astros rule but it is a long season so late May and through to NFL training camp in late July, there is this window that our Houston Dynamo can have the stage so to speak. Specifically because it was a Houston vs. Dallas encounter. Which if it was ping pong me and my buddies would find interest if the two cities played each other! Haha!
    And again, it is the most dominant sport on the planet, so this ties into the World Cup in 2026 and Houston as a vital host city. The link with our Houston Dynamo so all the local sports crews need to think globally and get out ahead of the thought process on why soccer and our Dynamo matter so much on a global appeal. We are Space City Planet Earth. With a massive diverse population that knows the sport and so many are looking forward to World Cup 2026, certainly the financial windfall on the economic side! Our local sports reporters be like, meh, it's just sawker.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Houston SaberCats have their last home game of the 2023 regular season on Friday night, June 9, at 8 pm when they host Old Glory DC. They have one more game at East #1 New England on Sunday, 9/18.

MLR West Standings
    San Diego Legion 14 g.p. 64 pts
    Seattle Seawolves 14 g.p. 58 pts

Houston SaberCats 14 g.p. 48 pts
    --------------------------------------------------
    Utah Warriors 14 g.p. 44 pts
    Dallas Jackals 14 g.p. 16 pts
    Chicago Hounds 14 g.p. 11 pts

The top three make the playoffs. There are 2 games left for all teams and you can get up to 5 points for a win (4 for the win and a bonus point for scoring 4 trys) so this game is huge for the SaberCats to get into the playoffs.

Come on out to a rugby game on Friday night!

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The 2024 MLR schedule is out.
    https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/major-league-rugby-unveils-2024-slate-of-matchups/

There has been some shakeup in the league. Toronto and NY folded. Atlanta moved to LA with a team name TBD. Miami is a completely new team. The 11 teams will play 16 games each over 18 weeks. There will be a single table with 8 teams making the playoffs.

2024 Teams

New England Free Jacks
    Old Glory DC
    Miami Sharks
    Chicago Hounds
    NOLA Gold
    Houston SaberCats
    Dallas Jackals
    Utah Warriors
    San Diego Legion
    Seattle Seawolves
    LA Rugby

SaberCats Schedule:
    Times are CT, home games at SaberCats Stadium

Saturday, March 2 New England 7:00 pm
    Saturday, March 9 @ LA Rugby 9:00 pm
    Saturday, March 16 Dallas Jackals 7:00 pm
    Saturday, March 23 @ Miami Sharks 6:00 pm
    BYE
    Friday, April 5 @ Utah Warriors 8:00 pm
    Saturday, April 13 Old Glory DC 7:00 pm
    Sunday, April 21 @ Chicago Hounds 1:00 pm
    Saturday, April 27 NOLA Gold 7:00 pm
    Friday, May 3 @ Seattle Seawolves 9:30 pm
    Saturday, May 11 @ Dallas Jackals 7:30 pm
    Saturday, May 18 Miami Sharks 7:00 pm
    BYE
    Sunday, June 2 @ New England 1:00 pm
    Saturday, June 8 Utah Warriors 7:00 pm
    Saturday, June 15 Seattle Seawolves 7:00 pm

Sunday, June 23 @ San Diego Legion 3:00 pm
    Saturday, June 29 LA Rugby 7:00 pm

18. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad about NY and Toronto folding. If their folding was due to financial reasons then its not a good look.

The previous teams (Colorado, LA, Austin) that left the league were not due to financial reasons is my understanding. CO thought they were better than the league. LA/Austin (same owner) for getting caught in league rules violations/shenanigans.

Keeping my fingers this professional rugby league can move forward and get stronger.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do I.
    However, the Rugby code of League might be better off for the pro side of the sport here in North American than the Union version. The crossover to gridiron football is an instant in for new and potential fans to the sport.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The owner in Toronto passed away. Apparently the league looked around for another investor in Canada but couldn't find one. NY had been looking for a primary owner for a few years. They did not find one and the current ownership group didn't want to take on the negative cash flow. The Atlanta move was pretty much the same.

It's a problem right now for teams in the league. You have to have investors that can take losses.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Major League Rugby has a new team for 2024. Anthem RC based in Charlotte.
    This team is joint venture of USA Rugby and World Rugby. It will be a developmental team for the national rugby team but a full member of MLR.

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/...to-charlotte-in-a-groundbreaking-partnership/

This 12th team means a return to conferences for 2024.
    The details of the playoffs are TBD but will probably still be 8 teams, 4 from each conference. But they might do wildcards.

2024 Teams

East
    New England Free Jacks
    Old Glory DC
    Miami Sharks
    Chicago Hounds
    Anthem RC
    NOLA Gold

West
    Houston SaberCats
    Dallas Jackals
    Utah Warriors
    San Diego Legion
    Seattle Seawolves
    LA Rugby

The schedule was adjusted with the new team and the conference alignment.
    The SaberCats have the same home dates but the opponents have shifted.

SaberCats Schedule:
    Times are CT, home games at SaberCats Stadium

Saturday, March 2 Utah Warriors 7:00 pm
    Sunday, March 10 @ LA Rugby 5:00 pm
    Saturday, March 16 Miami Sharks 7:00 pm
    Friday, March 22 @ Seattle Seawolves 9:30 pm
    Friday, March 29 @ Dallas Jackals 7:30 pm
    BYE
    Saturday, April 13 New England Free Jacks 7:00 pm
    Saturday, April 20 @ Old Glory DC 3:00 pm
    Saturday, April 27 San Diego Legion 7:00 pm
    Saturday, May 4 @ Utah Warriors 8:00 pm
    Friday, May 10 @ Anthem RC 6:00 pm
    Saturday, May 18 Chicago Hounds 7:00 pm
    BYE
    Saturday, June 1 @ NOLA Golad 5:00 pm
    Saturday, June 8 Rugby LA 7:00 pm
    Saturday, June 15 Seattle Seawolves 7:00 pm

Sunday, June 23 @ San Diego Legion 3:00 pm
    Saturday, June 29 Dallas Jackals 7:00 pm

22. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This developmental MLR rugby club kinda reminds me of the Project 40 team created in the A-League in 1998 to season young players to be ready to win the World Cup in 2010 when they reached their prime.

So does that mean USA will be winning the Rugby World Cup in 8 years?

CeltTexan repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being that the U.S.A. Rugby National Team didn't even qualify from our Western Hemisphere to compete in last years Rugby Football World Cup, it doesn't look likely.
    This developmental team reminds me of Team U.S.A. that played in the original NASL.
    I give props for the Project 40 reference however!

*rey* repped this.
  24. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, USA Rugby totally blew it in qualifying. Lost 3 games to different opponents (Uruguay, Chile, Portugal) on pretty much the last play of each of those matches. So disappointing. And just after having been announced as the hosts of the Rugby World Cup in 2031.

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The SaberCats are 4-0 to start the 2024 season! They won at Seattle last Friday for the first time ever and are alone in 1st place in the West.

MLR West Standings
    Houston SaberCats 4 g.p. 18 pts
    San Diego Legion 4 g.p. 15 pts
    Seattle Seawolves 4 g.p. 14 pts
    Dallas Jackals 4 g.p. 11 pts
    --------------------------------------------------
    Utah Warriors 4 g.p. 8 pts
    Chicago Hounds 4 g.p. 8 pts

The 'Cats are at Arlington this Friday night at 7:30 pm to take on the Jackals. Coverage is streaming on The Rugby Network for free. https://www.therugbynetwork.com/

The next two home games are while the Dynamo are away if you want to check out live rugby.

Saturday, April 13 New England Free Jacks 7:00 pm
    Saturday, April 20 @ Old Glory DC 3:00 pm
    Saturday, April 27 San Diego Legion 7:00 pm