Hot Seat 2023-24

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ThePonchat, Jul 19, 2023.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though not addressing the central point in your post, it is worth noting that Akron has had 7 coaches in program history dating from 1954.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. CollegeSoccerNews

CollegeSoccerNews New Member

PSG
    Sweden
    Dec 23, 2023
    Happy New Years everyone

What's happening with Drexel and Fairfield? Both been over a month (understandably, because of the holidays?).

3. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    I heard drexel bringing people on campus this week and they are back channeling the operation after having to do a head coach search 3 times in tthe last 3-4 years. They want someone that will bring longevity.

Fairfield i havent heard a peep but i have also heard that AD is a piece of work.

Fitballer repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Just to close the loop on this, Corey Kirk - the coach Bluem hand-picked as his successor at Muskimgum and then left after one season, was just announced as the new head coach of Capital University men’s soccer. Kirk is from the Columbus area, so this may be better for him and his family, but Capital is also a better program than Muskingum, which is a really difficult job in which to succeed.

https://athletics.capital.edu/news/...ey-kirk-chosen-as-mens-soccer-head-coach.aspx

JoeSoccerFan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Found myself thinking about the longest-tenured coaches in men's DI soccer and was trying to come up with a list of coaches that have been at the same gig the longest.

Here's what I got.

Michael Linenberger, Sacramento State - 1989
    Dave Masur, St. John's - 1991
    Sasho Cirovski, Maryland - 1993
    Tom McIntosh, Tulsa - 1995
    George Gelnovatch, Virginia - 1996
    Jim Barlow, Princeton - 1996

Anyone been at their current gig longer than these dudes?

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capital isn’t tons easier either. And, incredible hiring a guy who won 3 games in his only season as a HC, and third season in college soccer as well.

It shall be noted, the 2023 interim coach at Capital was a club coach at the same club the previous coach was at AND now the new head coach coaches at.

Back to DI talk…

Benny Dargle repped this.
  7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Tony Martone, Merrimack 1982
    Richard Nuttal, Hofstra 1989
    Dean Koski, Lehigh 1991
    Doug Allison, Furman, 1995

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Drexel (11/16)
    Fairfield (11/29)
    ETSU (12/8)
    Northeastern (1/4)

FILLED
    Drexel - Mark Fetrow (Villanova associate head; 7/19-7/28)
    Old Dominion - Tennant McVea (ODU associate head; 8/15)
    Evansville - Robbe Tarver (Evansville interim HC - 10/9)
    Bradley - Tim Regan (Bradley assistant; 11/2-11/2)
    Villanova - Mark Fetrow (Drexel head; 11/16-11/16)
    Mount St. Mary’s - Brett Teach (VCU assistant; 11/2-12/1)
    North Florida - Jamie Davies (UCF associate head; 11/6-12/6)
    UAB - David Lilly (ETSU head; 11/7-12/8)
    NC State - Marc Hubbard (New Hampshire head; 11/3-12/9)
    Marquette - David Korn (Maryville head; 11/1-12/11)
    Le Moyne - Callum Donnelly (Le Moyne interim; 7/5-7/18-12/12)
    Grand Canyon - George Kiefer (former NC State head; 12/1-12/20)
    Longwood - Paul Gilbert (Indiana Tech head; 11/29-12/21)
    New Hampshire - Rich Weinrebe (Northeastern head; 12/9-1/4)

Reminder here, I won’t update list until (if) anything is announced officially.

Fitballer repped this.
  9. RupertPupkin

RupertPupkin New Member

Dec 26, 2020
    Heard Jeremy Bonomo from Green Bay, Steve DeMatteo from Penn, and Jonathan Potter from Robert Morris are finalists for Drexel.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  10. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    the first 2 are correct, the 3rd is not, taylor thames from lasalle and castellanos from chestnut hill the other 2

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  11. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    If that is true, then Jeremy Bonomo should be top choice. They won a D1 Conference Championship at a tough place to win. They may want to save or relocation costs with the other guys but not much winning in that other group as head coach. Penn has been good in the Ivies for Matteo as an assistant and pretty much the same campus. Either of those two should be the finalists.

12. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    Jeremy is the best candidate in the pool hands down, he has done well at Green Bay in a tough place to win. However, they are fully funded and the school is cheap but hes done well for sure. Matteo has been in the mix for a ton of jobs but hasn't gotten them or taken them not sure what to believe, something to be said for that. Thames was a player at Delaware and knows the CAA well and the area. I tend to believe its Bonomo or Thames are the front runners but maybe its finally Dematteo's time. Castellanos applied before fetrow got the job and didnt get it, dont see him getting it this time either

CollegeSoccerNews repped this.
  13. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    You mean cheap in terms of student cost? When you say fully funded, do you mean he has a full complement of scholarships to work with or just that he has a healthy overall budget (or both)?

14. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    Yes cheap in terms of student cost, its 24k per year with no academic or scholarship money, scholarship wise they are funded well but i believe they have some limits on stacking academic and athletic money together like alot of smaller and mid major division 1's and they have a good budget school wise cuz its a state school

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn’t necessarily true.

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  16. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Maybe particularly not in the case of Green Bay. I don't know much about them (beyond my son being loosely acquainted with a couple of their players over the past few of years). But I Googled their budget out of curiosity and saw this: https://fox11online.com/sports/coll...ki-tennis-cuts-defunding-minimum-requirements

I know UW System schools in general have also had to deal with some budget turmoil related to state politics for a decade or so, but I have no idea how or if that touches athletics at any of those schools.

17. CollegeSoccerNews

PSG
    Sweden
    Dec 23, 2023
  18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Fairfield (11/29)
    ETSU (12/8)
    Northeastern (1/4)

FILLED
    Drexel - Mark Fetrow (Villanova associate head; 7/19-7/28)
    Old Dominion - Tennant McVea (ODU associate head; 8/15)
    Evansville - Robbe Tarver (Evansville interim HC - 10/9)
    Bradley - Tim Regan (Bradley assistant; 11/2-11/2)
    Villanova - Mark Fetrow (Drexel head; 11/16-11/16)
    Mount St. Mary’s - Brett Teach (VCU assistant; 11/2-12/1)
    North Florida - Jamie Davies (UCF associate head; 11/6-12/6)
    UAB - David Lilly (ETSU head; 11/7-12/8)
    NC State - Marc Hubbard (New Hampshire head; 11/3-12/9)
    Marquette - David Korn (Maryville head; 11/1-12/11)
    Le Moyne - Callum Donnelly (Le Moyne interim; 7/5-7/18-12/12)
    Grand Canyon - George Kiefer (former NC State head; 12/1-12/20)
    Longwood - Paul Gilbert (Indiana Tech head; 11/29-12/21)
    New Hampshire - Rich Weinrebe (Northeastern head; 12/9-1/4)
    Drexel - David Castellanos (Chestnut Hill head; 11/161/11)

Reminder here, I won’t update list until (if) anything is announced officially.

19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Castellanos' DI experience is limited to his own playing days at UConn and being an assistant at Drexel for a couple of years, but he has deep recruiting ties to the Philly area. Before Chestnut Hill, he had a 14 season tenure as head coach at PSU Abington in DIII, leading them to several NCAA tournament appearances.

CollegeSoccerNews and Johnny_Drama repped this.
  20. SoccerC19

SoccerC19 New Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 21, 2023
    Some of these Division 1 hires are terrible. New Drexel coach won 4 games in one of the worst D2 conferences.

How is Oliver Twelvetrees not getting these calls? Successful every year. Daniel Smee at University of Charleston consistently very good. Dean Johnson at Loyola Marymount has won at every level and into Elite 8 at D1 this year.

So many better options.

21. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015
    2023 was his first year at the school. Not everyone comes in and wins right away. He has ties to the university and the area and maybe Drexel administration wants a coach that will stick around for longer than 3 months this time. Maybe the names you mentioned didn't want the job?

Fitballer and Johnny_Drama repped this.
  22. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    #273 First Time Finish, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024

Also this guy was a fairly successful D3 head coach for a number of years, won a National Championship at UConn in their heyday, had a professional career afterwards, and has previous experience with the university . Like Drexel is a decent job and this may be a bit of an unconventional background, but he has an appropriate level of experience.

VASoccer75 and Fitballer repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Always good to see another minority added to the D-I head coaching ranks. There's an absurdly low number of Black and Latino head coaches in college soccer so increased representation is definitely a good thing.

That Castellanos is the only minority hire this offseason demonstrates just how problematic this issue remains.

24. CollegeSoccerNews

PSG
    Sweden
    Dec 23, 2023
    #275 CollegeSoccerNews, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Perhaps the Drexel AD wanted a local guy who's connected to the school and team, adds diversity to the athletic department, and has demonstrated winning leadership (148 wins as a head coach).

Safe is the idea behind the hire. Rather than somebody foreign who's potentially going to jump ship, after temporary success.

Previous head coach, Fetrow, got the job at Drexel end of July. I would guess he just walked into a good team inherited from Michael Marchiano (the head coach prior), which propelled Fetrow getting the Villanova job (no way that job goes to him on 1 win, as associate head coach).

Perhaps that't why DeMatteo from Penn didn't get it (which is a surprise to me, maybe not).

Based on their bio, coaching stops:

Twelvetrees (Minnesota -> Nebraska -> Kansas -> Florida -> Colorado)

Smee (Pennsylvania -> North Carolina -> West Virginia)

Johnson (Texas -> West Virginia -> California)

Doesn't scream stability to me.

Johnny_Drama, Benny Dargle and Fitballer repped this.