Hot Seat 2010-11

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bigbounce1, Jun 24, 2010.

1. pcbh16

pcbh16 Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Good research - thanks for taking the time.

Needless to say we can assume very few in their actual mid-twenties - a few more in late twenties have had recent success.

Safe to say it's been done before, but the odds and history are stacked against her.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, the odds are stacked against all coaches, aren't they? By nature, coaching success is a zero sum game. For every coach that can be declared successful, there are 3 or four that would be judged to be not so successful. I can easily come up with a list of young coaches who only lasted a year or two, or were successful at one level but not the next step up, but I could do the same for older coaches also. Such a list might show more younger coaches fail, but that might be a function of how long term a contract a younger coach can demand vs. An older coach. There have been a few pretty spectacular failures by older coaches, recently.

are the odds for a really young coach any worse? I don't think what I found says much, but it does rule out automatic failure by a young coach.

Judging recent success is a bit hard. You could easily say it's a year or two of luck or holdover from the previous regime. In order for a coach to have a track record, it has to be over time. By definition it becomes less recent. What I did was look through lists of successful coaches and then checked to see how many started young. It's actually a pretty good ratio. But all those lists(coaches with 250 wins, for example) have to be compiled over time. If a coach starts later, he might retire before he's around long enough to get on that list.

Julie Faudy comes to mind. She started very young, and I would call her successful for the year or two she coached, but I guess she didn't have her heart in it then.

3. PGAE FC

PGAE FC New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Coast faction, I know it's D-II, but what's up with the Sonoma State situation? Coach Oberkirch was a long time icon up there no?

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  5. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I particularly like the hatchet-job "program declined, 2 year record of . . ." They had a tough year last year, went 4-9-4. The year before they were 8-9-3, the year before that 15-5-1.

I guess these even the guys trying to get rid of him don't think the argument, "he had one bad year, and we're gonna stick it to him" makes any sense. Sad way to treat a good coach and person - one whom I'm not fortunate enough to know personally. They've accomplished one thing - it'll be tough for him to recruit and it ought to make anyone think twice about Sonoma in general.

6. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    So . . . who's in the running for Loyola (IL)? And is UMKC EVER going to hire?

7. prosocks

prosocks Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Barry Bimbi to Loyola (IL)

8. pcbh16

pcbh16 Member

Apr 12, 2007
  9. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
  10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was an assistant at Pitt previously, no? I wonder who will replace him. Seems like that program has long suffered a degree of mediocrity.

11. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Pitt or Loyola?

12. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Barry left Pitt a few months ago, already been replaced by Chris Logan.

13. have'it

have'it New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Does that take care of the Open Positiosn Available out there....or are there ones we've missed?

14. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Is this hire stronger than it seems? There were some successful D1 head coaches interested in this one - not too impressive on the surface.

15. have'it

have'it New Member

Oct 1, 2010

Got to make you wonder about the 12 recruits they signed before this announcement.....could be a financial issue!

16. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    OK, I got this from a pretty solid source. I just can't get confirmation. No news on their site. Nor have I heard from anywhere else this is true. So, take it with a grain of salt.

The rumor is that Greg Paynter is out at Towson University. It's been said he's already been replaced. I don't know who that is.

17. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    IF, IF, IF this may be the case, not sure how he would be immediately replaced? Greg is a good guy and let's hope nothing specific happened and he is in good shape moving on if necessary. New AD at Towson seems to be lighting fires under some people but not sure why women's soccer would be a priority. They have a pretty new FB coach, and just hired new mens BB, and have the mens LAX job open. I'd say that's good turnover for one year without even getting to the non-revenue sports. No question, the numbers don't lie and there hasn't been much traction in women's soccer there for years but have they really cared enough and put in the resources?? I'd say its a tough job in a pretty good soccer conference...

18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Might want to check with your "pretty solid source"...heard that both Towson coaches were seen out this weekend at PDA recruiting and talking with other coaches as normal...wearing Towson gear. Of course anything is possible but they were definitely "business as usual" this weekend and even talking about club coaching plans for next year - still in Baltimore.

19. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Yeah, I feel less confident about it every day. Other people in the program have heard nothing of a sort. So, I'd file it as very doubtful to be true.

20. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    JOSEP......Your Pretty Solid Source is like Toilet Paper. Only good for one thing. Greg is a great guy, coach, and your Prety Good Source Needs to be flushed.

21. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Not directed at anyone in particular but this situation reminded me that once one posts something here (whatever it is) that it remains here and can be seen for some time. In this thread even speculation about well received coaches being up for various positions could conceivably impact their current position. On some level I suppose these people are public figures and free game. It is a personal decision what to post but I would draw the line at posting idle speculation or team gossip that could hurt someone's livelihood and thereby their reputation, families etc..

One more thing, it is pretty easy to discern a pattern when a poster is on here to cause trouble or attack people simply by looking at their old posts. (And again this is not aimed at anyone specific here - really) A one time mistake is just that - repeated "mistakes" are wanton carelessness or intentional.

22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well stated New England.

Please use caution when you choose to post something here. What may just be a soccer coach to you, could actually be a spouse and parent to someone else. Greg is a wonderful person and coach. He (and others in this profession) do not deserve this unfair and unwarranted attention based on shady speculation.

23. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    OK, I apologize for my earlier post. My intent was never meant to degrade a coach's name. In fact, I know nothing about this coach. When I heard this tidbit there were several people present. I re-checked with those people afterwards to confirm what I heard and they all said that was correct. The person who gave this information would have that kind of information. Even then, I said it was a rumor and it couldn't be verified. I said "take it with a grain of salt."

With all that said, I should not have posted it until it could have been verified; which I could not. While we are all anonymous here, I have a reputation too and I want it to be a positive one. It was reckless of me to potentially damage someone else's reputation. So, please accept my apology. I would like to delete the post, but, for wahtever reason I can't. Moderators?

And, yes, when I see my source again I plan to get to the bottom of why I was fed erroneous information.

24. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    JoseP -

It is easy to miss the potential damage of what seems likes a fun tidbit. (I was reading wasn't I?) And this thread is full of such tidbits - true and false.

It is obvious from your posting history that you are not a trouble maker and it is obvious from this response that you are standup enough to admit an error and try to remedy it. I'll report your original post as well in hopes it might be deleted

Nellie

25. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deleting Posts

I did a "what was I thinking" post a while back in a different thread. I asked BigSoccer to remove it and explained why, and in a short time it was gone.