Hot News: Wenger Names His January Striker Target

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Gooner Trunk, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Gooner Trunk

Gooner Trunk New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    It now seems that come the January window that Wenger has opinionated the fact that he is going to try and secure the striking talents of the German World Cup star Miroslav Klose! The big man was just recently put up for sale at £3.5million by his cash-strapped club Kaiserslautern. So, the question is: Do we want or need him come January? Personally, every time that I've seen Klose play he's been a threat. He's great in the air, deadly at corners and can bullet a header in from an in-swinger like nobody's business! But, could it turn out to be a fish out of water for the German amongst the French encampment at Arsenal, or will he take to scoring in much the same vein as Jurgen Klinsmann did when he joined Spurs? Everyone's thoughts are greatly appreciated via this site or personally at exclusivemagazine@flash.net

2. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Don't really know Klose that well, but, if he's big, fit and can head the ball we'll ave im!!!

3. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Yeah, bad idea. Klose got lots of publicity when he slammed in 5 goals in the opening group round of the 2002 World Cup against Saudi Arabia, a disappointing Cameroon and Ireland. He then proceeded to do exacly f*** all in the next four matches.

He has scored a bunch of goals so far this season in Germany though.

4. GJ40

GJ40 Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Apex
    I like the idea. He's young and dangerous in close.

GJ40

5. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He was also battling a nagging injury those final four games. He celebrated his goals with a front flip, but against Cameroon he didn't because of the injury.

For 3.5 million, he's a good buy for a target forward.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    ya know.. sure we'll take Klose... but in all reality, he will go to a different club with loads more cash in the kitty... really hated the kraut bastard(WC2002) as he has bags of skill in the air...

phishy~

7. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    I thought the board has already said there will be no money in January. As in zero, zilch, nada, big fat bagel. No money for transfers.

Otherwise I would love Klose on the team. He's the fox in the box we need.

8. Nate2L

Nate2L New Member

Jul 21, 2001
    PA
    if the bored did say that, and now wenger says he wants klose maybe there is some trueth to the russian looking into arsenal cuz if he funds the stadium some that opens up other cash. i am not sure if klose would work well tho, haven't seen much of him but just have a worry backed up from him only killing SA in the world cup but nothing like that(2 or more goals) in any of his other games.

9. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well the board did give 10 million for the summer(or something like that) and AW only spent maybe 3.5 of that on Lehmann. So in theory Arsenal has 6.5 left to spend.

Wait a minute, is he cup tied at all?

10. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    Cup tied?

Who cares! By January we could be out of the CL, and the Gunners need help on the domestic front. Right now we have an aging DB and SW, who doesn't want to be here. You think this year is bad, next year TH may be alone up front,and the last thing the Gunners need for TH to want out.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we can swing it, GO FOR IT!!!

I have seen him on the Bundesliga and he looks very impressive. Right now, besides on Henry, I'm not 100% sold on any other forwards.

Besides, Lehmann will have a player from the Fatherland to hang out with...lol. Hey, they both were on the German National side.

12. fifacup

fifacup New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    new jersey
    go for it

Arsenal should go for younger players....and i thought klose played very well at the world cup! He is a more realistic target than someone like patrick kluivert who i wish arsenal had.

13. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    I say sign him up January 1st if its doable! I'd still rather have Kluivert and his European Cup Experience(especially if we are still in it)but Klose is even more of a true Number Nine than Kluivert as this point in his career. If Klose is 3.5 million but has reasonable wages is that more of a bargain than Kluivert at 1.4 million but with massive wages. That might be what decides it. Curious that Wenger actually named Klose-this really is not normal Wenger behavior. A smoke screen perhaps or are we really in for Klose. Arsenal bring in Kl....hmmm...............intriguing...

14. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    can you provide a link mate? i havent seen this anywhere. And im highly sceptical about this because Wenger simply does not name his targets as it tends to raise the level of competition...and inevitably the price.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

he's got more to his game than that - he'd be an excellent buy, especially at that price

16. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Go for it ... we need someone else up front at the moment, badly. What about that Dutch guy, from PSV or something?

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be nice to have someone capable in the air. Especially on the corners. When was the last time the Gunners have scored on a corner?

18. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't seen this anywhere either, not on the net, in any newspapers, nothing.

19. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah...seems to be if Wenger did say this publicly, we'd be seeing it on a bunch of news sources. But, seems to be just turning up out of the blue here. I'd be all for it, but I think this is just baseless crap.

20. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Are you talking about van der Vaart from Ajax? Unfortunately, 3.5 million won't even get us close to getting him. van der Vaart will be just a dream unless some Russian billionaire does give us a huge infusion of cash.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i figured he meant kezman, but 3.5 million pounds won't get you him either

22. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    For what it's worth, I read it in "The Sun" yesterday~

Phishy~

23. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    ohhh, alright everybody, call off all speculation...it's only the sun. nah, i'm just f***in' with you phishy

24. Gooner Trunk

Gooner Trunk New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Regarding Klose Source

As just noted in a prior post, my information about Wenger's desire to highlight a new striker by name (ie: Klose) was garnered from 'The Sun' earlier this week! And sure, the 'source' may be a tad bit questionable (!), BUT it was also found lingering around Tuesday on the Soccer365.com web site!! So, whether it's all a storm in a teacup or the real deal information wise, it's an interesting thought process none the less. I agree that for the longest time we have been unable to provide the fans with a decent striker that can bullet a corner in or an inswinging on-the-run cross from the wings. The last person that fit that mold, to the best of my memory, was Alan Smith ... and we're now talking early '90s!

25. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    hey i didn't create this thread, i just happened to read it in the newspaper and saw this thread afterwards... we have enough nazi's in our team~
    hot political opinion.. lmao