Horvath and Steffen, let's talk about US keepers in Europe

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by futbal nut, Dec 23, 2019.

1. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Did you see Steffens last Howler ?
    You see the reason I do this is because no one else speaks the truth about Steffen they give him a pass because he is Berhalter’s guy ...so someone has to.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Steffen earned it though. He came into the Bundesliga without missing a beat. He just has to improve his consistency. I want Horvath to do well too and I hope he challenges Steffen as we need several capable keepers going forward.

Trapp is Berhalter's guy even more so than Zardes which is saying something.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, "Berhalter's guy" doesn't mean much around here....

Grumpy in LA repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    You cray-cray. Steffen gets consistently good reviewer in the BL. Maybe he's not your fave or maybe you are related to Ethan, but to invoke Berhalter is strange.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If Steffen was “Berhalter’s guy” (meaning he only plays because of bias) most around here would like him less, not give him a free pass. Regardless, Horvath is generally well liked as well. It’s not an insult to acknowledge that Horvath is sitting on a bench right now while Steffen is actually playing in Germany.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So now we have Ethan's bro and mom here.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You're doing God's work...

If folks want to be dickish trollers, that's their right. But sanctimonious "I had to do it..." stuff is just stupid shyte-postinng.

Evan can't get a game in Belgium. Belgium. His team dropped half their annual wages on bringing someone in over him. He hasn't played meaningful minutes in how long? How many guys have beat him out for the #1 now?

Hate to break it to you but if you can't in the game, you can't give up a howler.

I'm no Beerholder worshipper, as anyone who's ever read my posts know, but it's absurd to slag a coach for not calling up or playing a keeper who CAN'T GET GAME... especially in a 2nd rate Euro league. Especially across multiple seasons and multiple #1's.

We've been hearing from you for like 2 years now how "tomorrow" it's all coming together. Give me a jingle when Evan's actually between the pipes in an actual league game. Thanks.

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed.

This is Ethan's thread. Please discuss Klinsmann and Konrad de la Fuente in their own threads.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ah Jazzy! So great to hear from you. I'm sure Futbolnut can't handle this discussion themselves, so luckily they've got the BS clown posse to the rescue.

BS rule of thumb: When Jazzy is your drunk Uncle Rudy, you're losing the debate.

Grumpy in LA repped this.
  10. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    #10 futbal nut, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    So what US keeper has made it in Europe ? It’s not an easy road and circumstances happen to derail many a career. The circumstances at Brugge have been unique and my point is Ethan has kept focused and will prevail in playing for a club soon so he can keep developing and set up for move to bigger league.
    If you read my past tweets they have all been accurate (Leko being a crook and now Mignolet falls in the lap of Brugge as he phones them and says I want to come back home to Belgium because no one wants me in England anymore).
    Ethan could have easily given up and gone back to MLS as a #1 (LAFC recently inquired) but he knows his worth and potential and will stay in Europe.
    Time will tell but I predict over next 10 years his career will be very successful!

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course, this is not the point - or that is exactly the point.

You have the audacity (and total lack of self-awareness) to write; "So what US keeper has made it in Europe ? It's not an easy road and circumstances happen to derail many a career" after you make a left turn swerve to gratuitously slam Steffen for "a howler" and Beerholder for favoritism.

Wake up, Bud. Steffen is making it. That's the point. Horvath ain't - yet.

I have nothing against Evan. I wish him nothing but success. But going out of your way to denigrating Steffen's career is just pissy and trollish and not based in any reality. It's just petty and deserves calling out.

So maybe it'd be more interesting to not attack other keepers in the hopes that what - Beerholder is going to read your posts and see the light - and do a bit more on Horvath's game, what he's working on, what in his game he or you think is holding him back. I mean really, the silly attacks just make you seem - well - silly.

12. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Horvath is working on his game and has had more success than The last few years than any US keeper in Europe. I’m not speaking about past success by previous keepers.
    So relax don’t get so defensive about Steffen

13. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    And I’m just pointing out that these keepers all have opportunity and it’s never a straight rocket ship up to success so once Steffen has a set back which he will that is what shows if he will be a true professional.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Wwhhhaaattt? A long career at Everton, the only team never relegated in history of EPL and old English 1st Division?

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    If you are Ethans family I can excuse your homerism. Otherwise, it’s inexplicable.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Never a good sign when you are quoting yourself

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Uh... how about "keep the trash talk about folks doing better than your boi to the home table or expect to get called out?"

How about that for a New Year's resolution?

Leg of lamb is braising. Goose about to get cooked!

Merry Christmas!

love,

freisland

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately, at this point Horvath-Steffen look like Hannemann-Guzan combo, not like the top three. They both are absolutely unproven with huge holes in their games. If I need to win a game tomorrow between them I'll choose Frei.

asoc repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    What is Steffens huge hole? Just curious.

20. The goal mouth?:p;)

The Irish Rover repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #21 butters59, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Mental. You never know which Steffen you gonna get. And then he is streaky what is acceptable for a striker.
    P.S. And I haven't seen enough of his full games in Germany. How is his foot game over there? They don't pass back to him or he is able to deal with the ball under pressure?

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have not seen much but his ratings on kicker look fairly consistent.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Navas too, yet he's one of few keepers to win three orejonas.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Too much ado about almost nothing. These are two decent keepers, but nothing in the ballpark of the Keller/Friedel days.

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He plays for Dusseldorf. The question isn't whether their CBs are willing to exchange passes/pass the ball back him. It's whether they're able to :confused: