Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Don't forget to watch Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip tonight from 9pm-11pm. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It was made by acclaimed documentarian Ken Burns, who had earlier made award-winning documentaries such as The Civil War and Baseball.

-G

P.S. = Isn't it about time that Ken Burns made a documentary called Soccer ?

2. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I assume they'll repeat this often, right?

After all, the play-offs and Monday Night Football are on at the same time.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm pretty sure they'll be repeated often. I think that the next airing is on Sunday.

-G

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife used to work with Ken Burns' fiancee, and she's met him several times when he'd pop into the office and whatnot. (Not that this matters to the discussion, other than it opens up the Six Degrees vault to a massive number of celebrities and moguls...)

The show's on the TiVo. We'll likely watch it on, oh I dunno, Wednesday. Maybe Thursday. God I love TiVo.

5. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I watched this. It was pretty well done and pretty entertaining.

6. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    thanks for the heads up. i've made the round trip from cali to PA four times. the fastest i've made it one way was two and a half days. it took Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson 63 and a half days. can't wait to see this. not nearly as big an accomplishment as Lindbergh's but still pretty damn impressive.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Ironically, I had to leave the house at the last minute yesterday and couldn't watch the show. I have it recorded on my TiVo, though, so I'll get to watch it tonight.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Speaking of meeting Ken Burns (in a way): the summer after Baseball aired, my family and I visited Disneyland. Walking around Tomorrowland, I saw a familiar-looking person and his family passing by us - a further quick glance confirmed that it was Ken Burns and his family walking by (he was even wearing a black t-shirt with the Baseball logo on it)! :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I was tempted to stop him to say hi and all that, but decided not to so his family could enjoy their time to themselves. Still, it was pretty cool (even if the rest of my family didn't realize who he was). :cool:

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I finally got the chance to watch the show. It was definitely worth the wait. :)

-G

9. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    By rading this thread, I was under the impression that it was new or something.

Last week, I was at MediaPlay and saw it was out on DVD.