Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This is another manager who couldn’t get the subs right in a match likely to go to PKs.

Hoppe had a poor start at SJ but then produced down the (reach the) playoff stretch. Crowell seems to have faded at season’s end.

2. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    ….or Hoppe is the better player. I have no idea, but neither do a lot of folks around here with strong opinions about someone else’s aspirations.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    MLS season stats:

COWELL

1 goal 3 assists

23 games played
    20 starts
    1551 minutes played

HOPPE

2 goals 0 assists

8 games played
    5 starts
    421 minutes played

HScoach13 repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I have no idea myself, which is one reason I root for all of our players.

RunthePoint and MayaDempsey repped this.
  5. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Me too. I hope Hoppe and Cowell both reach all their goals. It’s just interesting to me that folks around here will go out of their way to shit post about an American kid that’s only slightly older than an American kid on the same team that they talk up as the next great hope. The assessment of abilities doesn’t bother me. It’s the “it’s getting late early” and “dude should move back home and give it up” comments that bug me.

I like it when they’re wrong.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Its very dubious Cowell or Hoppe ever “make it” at this point. (Play regularly at a high level in Europe and become a regular for the usmnt “A” team)

Cowell doesn’t seem like he’s improved a lick since entering the league 4 years ago and he’s looking like he’s going to be what he is. I don’t think he has the ability. Though he has the raw athleticism, I don’t think he ever really comes good.

Hoppes situation seems more up in the air. We’ve seen him produce at the BL level. Its just been a mess since then. I think he has the ability. I think he comes good.

TimB4Last repped this.
  7. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I hope you’re wrong about Cowell and right about Hoppe.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Didn't he have (just) one special day?

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4709 bshredder, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    Hoppe’s career high-water has been limited to an unbelievable run over 10 days in the Bundesliga. Before that, he wasn’t scoring that much for the reserve or U19 teams at Schalke. Since then, he had a good week for Hibs and that’s about it

Besides that 10-day run, what are we talking about here?

Watching him at San Jose, he was so inconsistent but again living on that Nashville game when he was excellent. Then a decent shift the next game against Minnesota. He scored in the game against Portland, but that was a right time/right place tap in.

He seems to have a thing of brief runs where he plays well and then disappears.

I don’t think people realize this, but San Jose holds an option to buy - which is probably affordable. So, it’s not likely or certain he’s going back to Boro. I’d be surprised if the intent wasn’t to make this a full transfer.

As for the Olympic team, when you draw up mock rosters (only 18 players including 2 keepers and 3 overagers), it’s very hard for Hoppe. He’s not even close to being as good as McGuire. The other competitors are overagers

To be fair, Cowell’s spot on the U-23 team is tenuous. Kamungo’s rise complicates things. You also have wingers like Booth, Paredes, along with Paxten & Gutierrez - who both played out wide in the last camp.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose has declined the purchase option on his loan.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Will that release him, or will he have to stay with San Jose for the originally-agreed 12 months?

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It doesn't matter, he can't be re-assigned until a transfer window opens

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks, but that wasn’t exactly my question. In early August, Middlesbrough agreed to loan Hoppe to San Jose for 12 months. We’re just four months into that twelve.

With SJ declining (eight months early*) to purchase Hoppe, could he return to Middlesbrough now, or in January, or at least for pre-season next summer?

Or move to a new club in January or June/July?

Or must he wait the 8 remaining months of the loan’s 12 months before moving on?

* Why would it be to SJ’s advantage to announce now that they will not be purchasing Hoppe in August? What’s up with that? @bshredder

tomásbernal, russ and mschofield repped this.
  15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is no longer listed on the club’s roster heading into 2024. So, he’s done

From yesterday’s announcement

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/news-earthquakes-announce-roster-moves-ahead-of-2024-mls-season

“The San Jose Earthquakes current roster heading into 2024, listed alphabetically by position, is below:

Goalkeepers (3): Daniel, JT Marcinkowski, Emi Ochoa

Defenders (7): Carlos Akapo, Tanner Beason, Paul Marie, Daniel Munie, Rodrigues, Oscar Verhoeven, Casey Walls

Midfielders (6): Michael Baldisimo, Carlos Gruezo, Cruz Medina, Edwyn Mendoza, Niko Tsakiris, Jackson Yueill

Forwards (7): Ousseni Bouda, Cade Cowell, Chance Cowell, Benji Kikanović, Jeremy Ebobisse, Cristian Espinoza, Will Richmond”

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    @bshredder

“The club will not exercise the purchase options on forward Ayo Akinola and Matthew Hoppe.”

Thanks. We understand that much, but what about the other questions?

Will Hoppe remain on loan to SJ for 8 more months? Apparently not, if he’s off the roster entirely. Does SJ have any further financial obligation (to pay all or part of Hoppe’s salary)?

What are Hoppe’s options - right now, in January, next summer?

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be available for a January loan if someone wants him.
    Which is the main question,isn't it?

The Irish Rover and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, what do you think the deal with SJ was? Can SJ simply decline to purchase and get off the hook entirely, 8 months early?

I just think the original 12 months was an odd timeframe for all involved - both clubs and Hoppe himself.

I agree that Middlesbrough is a very unlikely landing spot, so the search for a new club is wide open.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually, this kind of deals are contracts. so, SJ has to honor it by paying in full or if there was an agreement on a discount.

The bigger question is, Is Hoppe a problem player? Because his game is good enough for a GC squad.

russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That's always the question with Hoppe but I haven't heard anything really negative about him since Mallorca.

From the little I saw at San Jose he did seem to freelance a bit from what was asked of him, which if you're gonna do that you better produce

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'd say that he's just a marginal player for a poor MLS club. On better MLS teams those are mostly sitting on the benches. No reason to buy.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #4722 The Irish Rover, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    It's highly, highly unlikely that San Jose took Hoppe on a 12-month loan without a break clause when the transfer window opens. That's SOP for players with a substantial track record, which is something Hoppe just doesn't have, so there is no reason to expect things to have been different here. The only question is whether the borrowing club has to claim "for cause" to terminate the loan or whether they can do it at will, and whether there's a penalty to be paid for breaking it.

A player ceases to be a prospect after 23 and Hoppe turns 23 in March, with his contract expiring in June to boot. As for the unusual 12 months (with a purchase option, no less), at the time I saw it as a sign that he'd been told he was surplus to requirements. On paper, he'll go back to Boro now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see news reports including the dreaded "by mutual consent" circulating

His agent will have to be exceptionally busy over the Holidays. Being unusually good wouldn't do any harm either.

tomásbernal, russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His agent has been unusually good in the past. Hello, Mallorca! And Middlesbrough! I'm not sure there's any magic left to be wrung out at this stage, though.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'll be lucky to get a gig in League1 or the bottom third of the SPL.

That's where I'd rate him at this stage. Not because of his talent - you don't get signed in BL1, La Liga or Championship promotion contenders without real talent - but because he just doesn't produce at a serious level. Ten years ago you could have seen an MLS side taking a punt on him, but that train has already left the station.

He's another Sebastian Soto, I'm afraid. Only Soto has had a long-term back injury

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his agent has been good???

i'd argue the opposite

he still hasnt really gotten any extended runs of playing time since he left schalke...

newsflash: without playing time, kinda hard to produce goals/assists etc

he needs playing time not name brands

MayaDempsey repped this.