Hope Solo's comments on Twitter

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kittenbiscuits, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo's ranting on twitter.

@hopesolo To all the boston fans and especially the young kids that I didn't sign autographs for I'm sorry. I will not stand for
    An organization who can so blatantly disrespect the athletes that come to play. Perhaps the WPS or Boston themselves
    Can finally take a stance to the profanity, racism and crude remarks that are made by their so called "fan club"

i know Solo gets emotional, but if the boston fans were saying racist remarks they can get f*cked. I am hoping (no pun) she was exagerating or misheard

2. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Re: Weak 17 PBP and Chat Thread

Wow this is crazy. I'm a Breakers fan who was unable to attend tonight (midweek is very difficult for me, too). I'm not a Riptide member and don't sit over there, but I really can't imagine that they or any passionate WPS fans would have said anything racist or otherwise horrible.

Fact: Hope Solo is the queen of overreaction. Her team lost on somebody else's home turf - I'm sure she was pissed. On the other hand, I'm sure there were some anti-Solo fans as well.

So, I don't want to jump to any conclusions either way and hope this was not the case. I would be disappointed with our fans if it was. :(

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

It just think it's rather odd that this is the first time this season that I know of that this has been brought up.

4. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland

She was on a rant about refs calls going against taller and lesser known players earlier... on ranting form today?

5. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Beat's stay at home backup GK just tweeted this:

Yoooo If what I hear is true then everyone at Harvard stadium is very lucky I didn't travel...

Jeff Kassouf is saying that it was possibly a misinterpretation of a Pro-Scurry chant.

6. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Yooooo that's the only reason why they have you is so you can do twitter updates and carry bags.

7. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

She had some kind of issue last time in Boston too. She is a favorite target of the Riptide. Don't know what was said tonight, I have not heard anything inappropriate sitting in the stands at prior games but who knows. If I was going to bet I'd guess it wasn't much compared the chants at most MLS games.

8. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010

I would be inclined to take Kassouf's word for it - hopefully he'll write about it on Equalizer.

Honestly, I'm sick of that saga and I would rather leave it behind. Everyone just needs to get over it. I suppose the point might have been to throw Solo off by rubbing salt in old wounds. Not my cup of tea, though. :rolleyes:

9. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

She's the one stupid enough to still get upset about it. I would have been like "Weeeeelp time for me to go home and shine my gold medal."

10. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very unproffessional to not sign autographs for Solo.... here tweet is not gonna go to the disapointed people....

11. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I'm glad someone gets it. I am a huge "fan." I get caught up in that kind of stuff. It really makes your day something as simple as a little autograph. Especially if you don't have the chances to see players or teams as much as others. Some of those kids will never get that moment back or it might be a while before they do so.

12. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010

yeah, they won't have any idea why. Anyways, she has always seemed hyper-emotional to me. This mentality probably has upsides and downsides for pro athletes.

13. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A dozen or so people chant something that hurts her feelings and she blows off the kids... then tweets about it... poor form. And it won't make anyone like her one bit more on the next trip to Boston.

14. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boston fans have made it pretty darn obvious how they feel about Solo. Why should she sign autographs for them?

15. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Oh the kids were screaming the obscenities. I know might be a bit of a homer, but if a SBFC player got bothered by a few rouge fans and took it out on the kids, I'd be very embarrassed and ashamed.

So when Lebron goes back to Cleveland to play a game it's ok to tell a kid "Kiss my a**!", when they ask for an autograph?

16. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, Markgraf did not sign in Philly last week, if she did, it was only a few on the field. I tried to call her over but she did not. Sorry but sigs are expected especially by the WNT players....

17. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010

I know she was mad, but it makes no sense for her to base her impressions of an entire group of people on the actions of a few. Please don't stereotype Boston fans. :( We're not all haters.

18. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006

Kind of depends on what fans said or chanted???

Hard to comment much without knowing the context of situation and what the content was that upset her.

Hopefully will hear about it in the equalizer report.

19. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did she tell a kid to kiss her a**?

20. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I feel that way about any other team coming into Philly until the game ends. Opposing players and coaches should not expect to be treated decent by the opposing teams fans. She may have upset the one family of 8 that was thinking about season tickets (how is that for a train of thought) but now won't because they don't want to come to any games where Solo is playing, or they will show up to curse her out next time and see if she goes off

21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

What I'm saying is that he is going to get heckled off his ass when he goes back, but he shouldn't take it out on the young fans who still love him. And after what she did to those kids today she really might as well said kiss my ass.

22. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland

Solo's a great keeper, why wouldn't an opposing team's fans heckle her and try to put her off?

Hopefully we'll get to know what caused the great Solo controversy of 2010 soon.

23. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Members of the Riptide and some posters here have made it clear, I doubt it was the whole stadium going after her. Don't generalize and stereotype.

24. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What exactly did she do? I've been to plenty of games where certain players didn't sign autographs. Let's not blow this out of proportion. Did she confront the fans, or did she just leave the field?

25. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I'm not blowing it out of proportion. I'm just saying she really disrespected her fans today. She blew the kids off. Even if others do it, it doesn't make it ok.

This league need EVERY damn fan it can get!